IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

History says that during Steve Lansdown's time at the Club, whenever a good Manager leaves the next appointment usually undoes all of that good work made. 

Agree, because SL usually appoints someone as an opposite reaction to what he see as a failure of the last guy. So we see-saw between inexperienced and experienced managers as in 

Wilson to Tinnion, Tinnion to Gary Johnson, Millen to Coppell,   Coppell to Millen, Millen to McInnes, 

The SOD/Cotterill change was credited to Dawe but then SL's back in the game with

Cotterill to LJ (inexperienced when appointed) , LJ to Holden, and finally Holden to Nige.

So we'll be back to a Euell or Andy King type next time.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The appointment of SC was generally greeted with disappointment yet he gave us a season that will stay forever with anyone who was there to witness it.

Bringing in an LJ "type" may prove to be what is needed next time there is a vacancy depending on what you define as type. The bottom line is that nothing is fact until it happens and NP is , for the immediate future, still the man in charge.

Not how I remember it.

About half a dozen prominent posters (at the time) posted extensively and very negatively simply because they didn't like SC personally, but generally it was a positive reaction.

All the more so after seeing his initial interview when many more were won over by his positivity, enthusiasm and determination and quickly saw him as exactly the right man for the job.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not how I remember it.

About half a dozen prominent posters (at the time) posted extensively and very negatively simply because they didn't like SC personally, but generally it was a positive reaction.

All the more so after seeing his initial interview when many more were won over by his positivity, enthusiasm and determination and quickly saw him as exactly the right man for the job.

That’s not how I remember it, sorry. The reaction was really negative about SC. Maybe  time has clouded my memory. I wonder if anyone could pull up the thread? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Huge losses? I thought we made profits on some of those - Eisa, Szmodics?

There may have been slight profits in terms of transfer fees in and transfer fees out, but what about the salary costs?  They were both here for a year, so if they were only on £5k per week, thats another £500k to factor in. Another way to look at it is wasted opportunities. As @MyBrotherErnie said, they were brought in by LJ but he didn’t really know how to use them. 

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There may have been slight profits in terms of transfer fees in and transfer fees out, but what about the salary costs?  They were both here for a year, so if they were only on £5k per week, thats another £500k to factor in. Another way to look at it is wasted opportunities. As @MyBrotherErnie said, they were brought in by LJ but he didn’t really know how to use them. 

The recruitment at the time was opaque and I'm not sure how much of the problem was LJ, Ashton was the recruitment team (taking a similar philosophy to Ipswich in buying up anyone he can). LJ was certainly involved, he said he had the final say but what were the options? It was most likely bluster because we all know SL gets the final say.

42 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

That’s not how I remember it, sorry. The reaction was really negative about SC. Maybe  time has clouded my memory. I wonder if anyone could pull up the thread? 

The OP on this one was being ironic:

Majority against his appointment, majority got it wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheReds said:

So we haven't seen out games better with Cornick playing? Would you have preferred Chris Martin staying to try and do that job instead?

I would’ve preferred to keep Chris Martin and spend the Semenyo money more wisely, that’s my opinion. 

• Confused 3
  • Facepalm 3

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

He’s not just been signed to ‘see out games’ .

They keep wittering the same line on FBC

We don’t have the budget or wage space to sign ‘better players that make us better’ , on each occasion

We actually need a squad of players fighting for , and capable of ,a first team spot 

Our squad in numbers , is very tight at best 

It’s not difficult to understand.

In addition , Pearson, especially with a smallish squad,  likes players with a good attitude and team ethic, who play for the Team rather than themselves  , are prepared to do dirty work , or play out of position , or try and fulfil any role ,  when required 

Whatever your opinion on Cornick , he ticks all those boxes 

We did have the budget/wage, unfortunately it seems that we have invested poorly with both Cornick and Mehmeti, obviously this could change with time. 

2 hours ago, GLAB said:

I think ‘brilliant successes’ is over reaching a bit. I feel that window to replace semenyo wasn’t used wisely.

That window wasn’t to replace Semenyo. The last two have been to make the whole squad better and give us more options. You can’t replace Semenyo, that’s kinda the point

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, glynriley said:

This is the best one

Yes, some embarrassing replies. 

Personally I took my time to jusge him and quickly realised how good he was.

Took a lot longer to judge NP, but came to the same conclusion.

Quickly realised SOD's man management was useless, obvious Holden wasnt up to it, and took 3 seconds to take the piss out of the appointment of LJ.

I wonder what they all think of each other.

• Flames 1

19 minutes ago, GLAB said:

I would’ve preferred to keep Chris Martin and spend the Semenyo money more wisely, that’s my opinion. 

The pressing monster Chris Martin ?

Yep, with his youth, mobility, work rate, and pressing, he'd fit right into the way the team is evolving/has evolved.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, bcfc01 said:

The pressing monster Chris Martin ?

Yep, with his youth, mobility, work rate, and pressing, he'd fit right into the way the team is evolving/has evolved.

I think anyone who thinks keeping CM would be a good idea, has obviously missed the fact he’s ended up at Dismaland. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, GLAB said:

Good job Nige is the one in charge of team building and culture, then, as Martin is widely "credited" with being a very negative personality - good footballer though he undoubtedly was. Past his best now though.

Nige has binned him off twice in his career and I suspect Martin only survived so long here due to expediency and the dire circumstances in which Nige took over - he's not so daft as to cut off his nose to spite his face, i.e. there was a whole heap of things to sort before getting round to Chris Martin.

I liked Martin as a footballer but there's a lot more to consider than what a player does on the pitch - it's why Weimann is captain, why the talented Tomlin is a poisoned chalice, and so on.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Would love one of the Cornick bashers to come on here and give a reasoned argument as to why he is a bad signing.

From what I have seen for £300,000 he is a massive upgrade on Chris Martin as a forward to come on to 'finish' a game. He clearly wasn't signed to replace Wells, Conway etc but to be the guy that comes on to see a game out for the last 20/30 minutes. I haven't seen him let us down at any time or play particularly poorly. Please explain what I am missing ?

He hasn't scored 46 goals in 12 games.

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

That window wasn’t to replace Semenyo. The last two have been to make the whole squad better and give us more options. You can’t replace Semenyo, that’s kinda the point

Yep…And Nige himself made that point.  How do you sell a striker for £10m and replace / buy better?  You don’t.  You try to strengthen other things, e.g. depth, hence Cornick for Martin, or future players, hence Mehmeti.  It’s not always about improving “best eleven”….especially when you are under FFP concerns, etc, etc.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

GLAB is Les, Dog, Londoner.

Chris - why bother wasting so much time.  Why not post here under your real persona and stop being an antagonist.  You’ve more to offer than the WUM stuff above.

I’m not antagonising anyone? I’m giving my viewpoint. 

32 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Good job Nige is the one in charge of team building and culture, then, as Martin is widely "credited" with being a very negative personality - good footballer though he undoubtedly was. Past his best now though.

Nige has binned him off twice in his career and I suspect Martin only survived so long here due to expediency and the dire circumstances in which Nige took over - he's not so daft as to cut off his nose to spite his face, i.e. there was a whole heap of things to sort before getting round to Chris Martin.

I liked Martin as a footballer but there's a lot more to consider than what a player does on the pitch - it's why Weimann is captain, why the talented Tomlin is a poisoned chalice, and so on.  

Where was Martin credited with this? Are you going by Pearsons statement of wanting to change the dressing room? Or was that Pearson wanting to find excuses for, what was at the time, a poor run of results?

I get this forum is a Pearson love in, I don’t see it, he’s  very clever with the messaging, but I’m far from convinced, and that is my viewpoint.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

The OP on this one was being ironic:

Majority against his appointment, majority got it wrong.

Strangely tiny threads, but yes, very negative.

I was more thinking of the day he was appointed, and particularly after fans had had the chance to see him and hear him speak in his first interview on the official site.

I remember that being far more positive.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Strangely tiny threads, but yes, very negative.

I was more thinking of the day he was appointed, and particularly after fans had had the chance to see him and hear him speak in his first interview on the official site.

I remember that being far more positive.

I wasn’t positive largely due to his Forest and Pompey teams boring the shit out of everyone. 

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

This is the best one

Yep, overwhelmingly negative and some quite nasty comments but it was pre appointment rather after than the die is cast, the dust is settled, and a case of what do we think now.

Anyway, quite happy with my major contribution to that thread:

'Like so many others I've got real problems with some of the names on the list - huge problems with one or two - but I don't have a particular problem with Cotterill.

Certainly see no reason to lambast him so viciously as some on here, or write him off completely like others.

What the hell are people expecting? We're near the bottom of div. 3., with a real scrap ahead to stay up.

Cotterill seems to have a reputation as a good man manager, who quickly builds a spine to his side and gets them playing with spirit.

He will HAVE to fit in with the club's philosophy, so if he turns out to be the choice after interview, that much is understood.

He'll show some refreshing passion for the relegation fight ahead - unlike SO'D last season - and this passion we've been so sadly lacking will rub off on the fans..

We shall see, but he'll get my support if appointed, and imo in time could well prove to be a good fit for AG, and a popular figure.'

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, glynriley said:

This is the best one

I just went to check, I voted “yes” so am elevating myself to the title Superfan. First move, new contract for Nige please 😂

Edit: on further inspection, I surreptitiously voted yes during the double winning campaign, shame on me, I should go to the Mem!

Edit2: Fair play to all those who voted “no” when promotion was secured 😂

1 hour ago, GLAB said:

On that reply I think we can all agree not to take anything you say seriously whatsoever. 

Keep replying to every single post you possibly can, you are obviously an attention seeking buffoon.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, TheReds said:

On that reply I think we can all agree not to take anything you say seriously whatsoever. 

Keep replying to every single post you possibly can, you are obviously an attention seeking buffoon.

Harry Cornick has been more effective and better value than Chris Martin? 

23 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, overwhelmingly negative and some quite nasty comments but it was pre appointment rather after than the die is cast, the dust is settled, and a case of what do we think now.

Anyway, quite happy with my major contribution to that thread:

'Like so many others I've got real problems with some of the names on the list - huge problems with one or two - but I don't have a particular problem with Cotterill.

Certainly see no reason to lambast him so viciously as some on here, or write him off completely like others.

What the hell are people expecting? We're near the bottom of div. 3., with a real scrap ahead to stay up.

Cotterill seems to have a reputation as a good man manager, who quickly builds a spine to his side and gets them playing with spirit.

He will HAVE to fit in with the club's philosophy, so if he turns out to be the choice after interview, that much is understood.

He'll show some refreshing passion for the relegation fight ahead - unlike SO'D last season - and this passion we've been so sadly lacking will rub off on the fans..

We shall see, but he'll get my support if appointed, and imo in time could well prove to be a good fit for AG, and a popular figure.'

Thanks Noggers, remember this well.

Pretty sure it was 4% in favour of Cotts (probably me & you!) & particularly love the reply to my support of him on page 7 of this that says he’ll be “no better or worse” than SOD.

99 points & a JPT win later, how did that work out? 😂😂

• Haha 2