IGNORED

Sound of the City Oct 30th

REDOXO

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I recall tbh at the end of last season, it being stated that he never declined an interview with Geoff Twentyman. Will try and find.

Utter bullshit.

I recall Geoff saying "Steve always fronts up" but there's no chance Steve has never declined an interview with Geoff/RB.

In any case, he's certainly declined one now. 

Steve has always, and continues to, hate scrutiny of his decisions at BCFC. From all media organisations. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fair play Owers - said it shouldn’t be him sat there tonight, should be someone from the club explaining it to the fans who they expect to support the club on Saturday.

Too true Dave, as usual Gary tells it as it is.  I think they are all cowards not to come on and explain the real reason for the sacking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Utter bullshit.

I recall Geoff saying "Steve always fronts up" but there's no chance Steve has never declined an interview with Geoff/RB.

Steve has always, and continues to, hate scrutiny of his decisions at BCFC. From all media organisations. 

Always fronts up was the term I was trying to remember..perhaps I misremembered?

Yes I can well believe that. Club owners a lot of them tend not to like it, transparency can be variable.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Utter bullshit.

He & they are clearly massively panicking and scrambling. They wouldn’t have expected the reaction and certainly wouldn’t have expected the sky sports article nor the really scathing article published by the clubs supporters trust

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Also do you realise how well respected Pearson was/is, if someone who didn’t give his son a chance in the first team and also was happy to release him, is still fighting his corner?

Excellent point, well made.

Just another pointer as to how bloody good Pearson is with the only people that matter - the players.

Sucking up to the owner has never been part of successful management. Ours seems to think it is, which is why the progress on the pitch we all crave, hasn't happened despite all the money he's spent.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tony Thorpe.

Midtable side although weakest Championship in years is an interesting shout.

Midtableish yes, but he neglects to mention the injuries and in particular some who haven't kicked a ball this season which is a bit of a mitigating factor.

If you follow Thorpe on twitter he comes across as someone who looks back favourably of his time here and still thinks highly of the club. I don’t think he would say anything deliberately without considering the value it adds. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Genuine question - is it common for other clubs execs/board members/DoFs to do radio interviews after the sacking of a manager (never mind a very popular one)?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0gpdn0h

Not always. But Grimsby sacked Paul Hurst earlier this week. Here's their owner Jason Stockwood speaking about it on Radio Humberside.

As a coincidence, Stockwood is one of the best owners out there at the moment.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tony Thorpe.

Midtableish yes, but he neglects to mention the injuries and in particular some who haven't kicked a ball this season which is a bit of a mitigating factor.

Absolutely.

We're a mid-table side but quite honestly that's a compliment. With some of our previous managers and this injury record I think we could well be in a relegation battle.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Genuine question - is it common for other clubs execs/board members/DoFs to do radio interviews after the sacking of a manager (never mind a very popular one)?

That thought had crossed my mind. I don't ever recall any board member/ceo coming on RB after sacking previous managers but circumstances in this instance are a little different. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Absolutely.

We're a mid-table side but quite honestly that's a compliment. With some of our previous managers and this injury record I think we could well be in a relegation battle.

Don't fully disagree with the analysis but think with less injuries we could be a bit higher.

Not the crazy level of expectation we saw this weekend but yes we  could easily be in a relegation battle too under some past managers, the rolling injuries etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tony Thorpe.

I keep coming back to our team on Saturday -- starting Joseph James, 4 players on the bench who have never played in the league, a 17 year old, and 2 goalkeepers. 

Expecting us to be doing any better than we are is just fantasy; there's a huge difference between introducing some academy players into a team of experienced pros, and fielding lots of teenagers and expecting them to be promotion contenders immediately.

I do wonder if recent successes with academy players has made Lansdown and Tinnion think that youth can be relied upon more than is actually realistic. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear from Steve again until his departing message when he sells the club.

At this point I think he's extremely hurt by all the criticism recieved by City fans, and I think he actually really dislikes a sizeable section of our fanbase.

But you reap what you sow, and the absolute DISRESPECT to Bristol City fans to turn up IN PERSON to speak to Bears rugby fans at the weekend, and then not even bothering to do a radio interview to explain the decision of sacking the first team football manager is beyond the ******* pale. 

It's over Steve.

Based on this, do you think we will see any of the Lansdown’s at the game Saturday @Kid in the Riot?

They wouldn’t be that cowardly not to show up would they?

2 minutes ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

I keep coming back to our team on Saturday -- starting Joseph James, 4 players on the bench who have never played in the league, a 17 year old, and 2 goalkeepers. 

Expecting us to be doing any better than we are is just fantasy; there's a huge difference between introducing some academy players into a team of experienced pros, and fielding lots of teenagers and expecting them to be promotion contenders immediately.

I do wonder if recent successes with academy players has made Lansdown and Tinnion think that youth can be relied upon more than is actually realistic. 

Oh no now, I totally agree. 

We are right down to the bare bones and may have not won the 2 we did under a different manager.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, westonred said:

Sound of the City very tame tonight I was hoping that there would be more texts read out from fans who are really genuinly p*ssed of with the situation and lack of interest shown by the Lansdowns for them to decline to go on the show tonight says everything.

I had a rant on there this morning when they rang me :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear from Steve again until his departing message when he sells the club.

At this point I think he's extremely hurt by all the criticism recieved by City fans, and I think he actually really dislikes a sizeable section of our fanbase.

But you reap what you sow, and the absolute DISRESPECT to Bristol City fans to turn up IN PERSON to speak to Bears rugby fans at the weekend, and then not even bothering to do a radio interview to explain the decision of sacking the first team football manager is beyond the ******* pale. 

It's over Steve.

Such a good point Kid. That’s inexcusable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1