IGNORED

As the dust settles…

Davefevs

40 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Awesome.

(sarcasm doesn't come across well in typing form).

Hands up who remembers the long and extensive search for a Manager before and then we ended up with Dean f@cking Holden. Lovely human being. Great at filling water bottles and picking up the cones. Should neve be anywhere near the Manager's job. I fear that we will end up with someone of a similar ilk. God I hate Modays at the best of times but today is a whole different level.

Spot on Mr Geldof.

Lansdowns Out.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Interesting that it references the importance of Gould, with whom I suspect Pearson had an excellent relationship. He was a massive loss.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The only thing I would say is when the new Manager comes in we have to give them a chance. If it goes wrong make sure any blame and criticism is vented in the direction of where it REALLY lies. We aren’t an easy club to manage right now and any of the names listed might find it tougher than anything they’ve encountered before. In fact many Managers would have been seething at the line ups we’ve been naming recently. The fact a Manager guiding us through this tough period without public histrionics on the squad aspect has been fired isn’t down to the new manager.

I’m going to boo even if it’s pep 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

As @Red-Robbo has already said, the voice of reason Dave. However, that first bullet point seems crucial to me, and I fear that you may be wrong in the assumption you’re making.

A lot of last nights reading on here was pretty depressing. And none more so than where people seem to feel the need to demonstrate their support for NP by turning on everyone and anyone else in any way directly or indirectly associated with what’s happening. Including the new manager/head coach - before we even know who it is.

In several cases that was quite explicit. And one page, possibly even one post, managed to combine dislike of the unknown new person with some personal abuse directed at the last person (LJ) - apparently simply for coming either side of Pearson.

It’s happened before (for some, LJ was never forgiven for replacing SC) and I fear it will happen again. It already seems to be judging by comments even on this thread. 

2 hours ago, prankerd said:

The problem is the next manager to come in is going to be so disliked if they dont hit the ground running.

Just imagine the scenes if they get a good transfer kitty in January? Alot of the fan base will be like where was this money in the summer.

Even 5 million of the scott money in the summer would have given us at least 2 or 3 good players that would have taken us up a level and probably be in the playoffs right now.

I agree with the above. Most fans have been patient with Pearson as they could see what he was having to turn around and could see the progress - hence the incredulity at his sacking. Unless the new head coach improves results compared to Pearson quickly - given that is Lansdown’s reason for the change - I don’t think the fans will be patient and it could get quite toxic very quickly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just wanted to share some thoughts.

This will undoubtedly be a time when old manager going / new manager coming in will see comments from posters, me included, giving our opinions and there will be debate for and against on both sides.

But…I see this as a small window of opportunity.

+++++

We have had numerous debates over our time back in the Championship from the managers - Cotts to Johnson to Holden to Pearson, to the Finances, FFP, Covid, etc.  We can all defend our opinions with facts, speculation, and just the way we see it.

However it is clear to me (at least) that we enter a period where we:

• don’t really have any manager “baggage”, no divide from posters who were fanboys of one but not the other.  It feels like a “decks cleared” time.
  • no financial issues, FFP at least!  We don’t know the owners funding aspirations / restrictions though.

So we can treat the new manager on merit, although slightly hindered initially by:

• a small squad
  • injuries

We will have to wait until January to see if he is allowed to recruit.  At that point we will know whether the budget was just for the old manager or not.  But we can judge new manager accordingly, ie is he hamstrung by budget or not.

Re injuries, a slight tangent, most managers come in and first thing they say is they had to get the players fit.  Well, City are one of the hardest running teams in the division, so that excuse is not valid.  Availability is different.

Ultimately the foundations have been laid.  The new manager has the opportunity to build on them.

I suggest we wait and see who we get and judge them on what they do with Bristol City.

Nice post Dave,

It might also be worthwhile refreshing ourselves as to what Phil Alexander said back in September, re finance, backing, expectancy, recruitment and whether money will be released in January. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-lansdown-pearson-transfer-8727775

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:
2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Ha no danger of captain crayon applying that level of 4d chess to the recruitment process. 

❤️ that description. Someone needs to use it on Sound of the City tonight. Then refer to Steve Lansdown as Captain Crayon's dad. It the small things that get you through.

I refer to him as the Crayola Kid. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

I really don’t know how to feel about this, have a huge amount of respect for Nige and what he managed to achieve in a very difficult situation. He did exactly what he was brought in to do, make the club stable again. I did always struggle to see us ever getting further than mid table with Nige though, that being said I doubt any other manager would have achieved more than he did with the limitations he had during his time here. 

I’d like to think the foundations are there now to build on for whoever comes in, the only ‘realistic’ name that excites me is Eustace. Based on what he achieved at Birmingham in a short space of time, and their fans clearly think the world of him. Rowett not entirely sure about, I think would be a snooze fest, Nathan Jones… the less said about that option the better 😂 Dean Smith is the less realistic candidate who I think would be great, but I imagine he might wait around for something else. Time will tell.. wish Nige all the best as I’m sure the majority do!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

With our dire injury situation that's not going to happen.

I think it's only Nige's experience and calmness and the respect the players hold him in that has prevented a thrashing for our patchwork team in the last few games.

I don't think we should underestimate the effect Nige's sacking will have on the morale of the depleted squad - they were given confidence and were willing to run through brick walls for him, it's not going to be the same with a new manager, or indeed no manager.

Sheffield Wednesday may be bottom of the table but such is our disarray things could really fall apart on Saturday, new manager or not.

I totally agree was just saying if that did happen that’s football I’m afraid , just get the feeling like you said we might just see how well Nige has done with the next batch of results looming 🙈

3 hours ago, johnheadbcfc said:

I'd be quite intrigued with lampard, the clubs he's "failed" at all the managers since haven't done well either. Poch under pressure potter( who is revered in England) dyche has been poor . Maybe this club could fit well with him.

I’m with you. I believe Lampard inherited a complete mess at Chelsea (listen to him on the Steven Bartlett podcast), and Everton's situation was quite chaotic as well. While many might not share this view, I see the potential for a capable manager in him.

I know others won’t see it that way, but I wouldn’t be upset to see him here. 

• Like 1

I liked Nigel but was never a fan of the product on the pitch . What he’s done off the pitch has been nothing short of a miracle , unfortunately he talked out of turn to his bosses while on a poor run of form.  His sacking wasn’t a surprise as people where talking about it @  Cardiff as it was gonna happen after the game which I thought was a load of rubbish. 
Apparently we’ve had the feelers out for a new manager for a bit and having been tapping up agents . 
The club is in a bad way and we lurch from one disaster to another . Not sure the club anticipated such a response from the its own fans over the sacking and they’ll look to get us onside sooner rather than later . 
Interesting posts about Tinnions role in all of this , I thought they got on him and Nige 
I expect the new guy to get funds in January 
if I could choose a new manager I’d go for Chris Wilder .  
Tin hat on 

Did Lampard inherit a complete mess at Chelsea.

They may have had some difficulties but finished 3rd, albeit lost Hazard which is a key blow. Transfer embargo yes but the squad he inherited was good and their youth academy is excellent.

He would want a good budget and if we can't provide it for NP, why give it to Lampard.

He finished 6th just, with a side containing Tomori, Mount, Wilson at Championship level.

Not for me.

Put another way, why trust Lampard with a bigger chunk of the best egg than Pearson?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

This quote "Luton got promoted with a squad with far less talent than we have in our squad," owner Steve Lansdown, Jon's father, said publicly in the summer

From the Sky article referenced above is all you need to know about how clueless Steve is regarding footballing matters.

I've been done with them for years. They're shambolic, have paper-thin governance as @ExiledAjax pointedly points out multiple times. They rule as if they are kings of the club. Problem is, that a king needs advisors - and where are they? 

I may need to eat my words. And good god, if they get this right I will gladly do so. But we've been here and done that - several times - Cyclical Steve. And I'm done with their pettiness and sense of entitlement.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did Lampard inherit a complete mess at Chelsea.

They may have had some difficulties but finished 3rd, albeit lost Hazard which is a key blow. Transfer embargo yes but the squad he inherited was good and their youth academy is excellent.

He woukd want a good budget and if we can't provide it for NP, why give it to Lampard.

He finished 6th just, with a side containing Tomori, Mount, Wilson at Championship level.

Not for me.

Put another way, why trust Lampard with a bigger chunk of the best egg than Pearson?

because he's Frank Lampard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Any chance of Downsey going too? Please…

Are you joking?

Judging by Lansdown's record of previous appointments, he'll be our new manager.

And in case anyone thinks I'm joking, I've placed a fiver on Downsey being our next manager.

Given the odds, when Downsey's apppointed, I'll be a billionaire.

Then I'll buy our club back from that useless feckur Lansdown . . .  and reappoint Pearson !

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Nice post Dave,

It might also be worthwhile refreshing ourselves as to what Phil Alexander said back in September, re finance, backing, expectancy, recruitment and whether money will be released in January. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-lansdown-pearson-transfer-8727775

IMG_8902.thumb.jpeg.757ad1a9945ad48b5883a38d7ad6bb60.jpeg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Are you joking?

Judging by Lansdown's record of previous appointments, he'll be our new manager.

And in case anyone thinks I'm joking, I've placed a fiver on Downsey being our next manager.

Given the odds, when Downsey's apppointed, I'll be a billionaire.

Then I'll buy our club back from that useless feckur Lansdown . . .  and reappoint Pearson !

Good luck!