IGNORED

Latest Odds

elhombrecito

11 hours ago, ORANGE500 said:

In 20/21 you may recall the stadium was closed to the public therefore any revenue was severely reduced but the salaries which you would estimate run into £millions each month and the operating costs still have to be paid that may explain why the loses have ben so high quite logical really

My apologies Orange but I was under the impression that EVERY club in the country were forced to play to empty stadiums . BCFC were also bleeding money long before Covid arrived . Bottom line is the Lansdowns have spread themselves too thin with the Bristol Sport ego trip and are now trying to support 3 Clubs rather than 1.  They’ve also created a monster that could be impossible to sell without a potentially catastrophic effect on the finances of Bristol Bears and Bristol Flyers . 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Classic Lansdown if he appoints Rowett this week and his main man Robins gets sacked next week 

I was thinking along similar lines there could well be a few departures during the international  break which could provide better options 

3 hours ago, mason said:

He was given a sheet of lead and expected to fashion a championship gold winning side, while we sold our best players and kept most of the fees to cover prev poor choices by SL.

The recent losses were not helped by the large injury list again to some of our best players, this in turn came down to our much reduced squad size.

So SL/JL`s remit to NP was; reduce the squad size and wage costs, let us sell our best players while we give you just a few million (less than a fifth?) of the tens of millions we get for those players; also of course if we dont make a serious promo challenge after a third of the season we will sack you..............is that ok?

So remember; before our defeat to Cardiff (while playing kids and a injury ravaged squad) we were 3points from a play off spot and even after 5pts from a play off spot and thats a failure is it Steve/Jon?

Which would have been the remit of anyone coming in at that time. We can’t have what ifs but truthfully it is still the team he assembled over 6-7 windows with resources over that time probably on par or better than most other clubs in the division. He hasn’t moved anything forward on the pitch.

Let’s not act like we were gutted to lose anyone bar Semenyo and Scott either. NP offered up dreadful football, brought in aging players that don’t stay fit, brought a medical staff in that doesn’t keep anyone fit and at the end of the day finished lower half of the table every season he was here. Not overachieved to tenth or ninth. Also, let’s also not pretend 3 points off playoffs(in like 13th place) after 10 games in an achievement too. Some of you act like he could walk on water. The only thing that went against him in his tenure was not getting any Scott money. After he got to spend close to 6m of Semenyo money. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

3 hours ago, Baldyman said:

My apologies Orange but I was under the impression that EVERY club in the country were forced to play to empty stadiums . BCFC were also bleeding money long before Covid arrived . Bottom line is the Lansdowns have spread themselves too thin with the Bristol Sport ego trip and are now trying to support 3 Clubs rather than 1.  They’ve also created a monster that could be impossible to sell without a potentially catastrophic effect on the finances of Bristol Bears and Bristol Flyers . 

I sort of agree, but economy of scale for rugby let alone  basketball is so very different. Could take a bit of untangling though.

As for Covid, I reckon our total across the 2 years revenue loss across the main 2 years was about £17-18m probably. Maybe more like £20m.

Due to the corporate revenue side we were more hit than assorted others but by no means an outlier, owners of clubs had to dig quite deep during Covid for sure especially non Parachute and Championship.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Which would have been the remit of anyone coming in at that time. We can’t have what ifs but truthfully it is still the team he assembled over 6-7 windows with resources over that time probably on par or better than most other clubs in the division. He hasn’t moved anything forward on the pitch.

Let’s not act like we were gutted to lose anyone bar Semenyo and Scott either. NP offered up dreadful football, brought in aging players that don’t stay fit, brought a medical staff in that doesn’t keep anyone fit and at the end of the day finished lower half of the table every season he was here. Not overachieved to tenth or ninth. Also, let’s also not pretend 3 points off playoffs(in like 13th place) after 10 games in an achievement too. Some of you act like he could walk on water. The only thing that went against him in his tenure was not getting any Scott money. After he got to spend close to 6m of Semenyo money. 

He’s had summer 21, winter 22, summer 22, winter 23, summer 23 windows, that’s 5 windows.  It’s not 6-7!!

Last season we were the team that recruited the least number players, this season, bottom 4.  I don’t have data for 21/22.  We’ve spent some transfer fees this summer, but that’s a simplistic way of looking at and comparing to a club who spent less on fees but then added 5 loans where loan fees don’t even get a mention let alone wages.

same resources on a par or better than most?  Really?

I’m not gonna get into a discussion re playing performance, but the transfer side of things is an inaccurate post.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s had summer 21, winter 22, summer 22, winter 23, summer 23 windows, that’s 5 windows.  It’s not 6-7!!

Last season we were the team that recruited the least number players, this season, bottom 4.  I don’t have data for 21/22.  We’ve spent some transfer fees this summer, but that’s a simplistic way of looking at and comparing to a club who spent less on fees but then added 5 loans where loan fees don’t even get a mention let alone wages.

same resources on a par or better than most?  Really?

I’m not gonna get into a discussion re playing performance, but the transfer side of things is an inaccurate post.

How is it inaccurate? Go have a look at transfermarkt. We were on par with most clubs in terms of fees and incomings outside the PP clubs. Pretty much everyone was in the red and could only dip into the market occasionally for a fee.

Atkinson and James were big gets his first window. Naismith massive in his third. Mehmeti and Cornick good championship moves. Then this summer where we dished out fees before the Scott sale. On top of the numerous other signings that had varying degrees of success. It isn’t as if he had both hands tied behind his back and blindfolded. He had resources and moulded a team in his vision and it made us marginally better over 2.5 years. 

But we have to be patient. Have sides like West Brom maybe even worse off than us financially, who have only had a couple of fees paid out with free transfers and loans filling out the squad, flying in 5th scoring goals. Lets add Cardiff to that mix too. Wrong time to sack him but ultimately the right choice. However, it is all moot. The interviews showed City’s reality. It will forever be a “sleeping giant” under the Lansdown ownership. Any success we have under SL is a one off fluke. Probably off the back of a disaster. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

@JoeAman08

West Brom still have players such as Yokuslu, Swift, Wallace, Diangana, Dike etc. Maja too.

Thomas-Asante an excellent pick-up from Salford btw, other end of the scale.

I bet their wage bill is higher than us, no doubt. 22-23 years of PL or Parachute Payments too. Did they gain £30-35m in fees for 2 young stars either?

Their squad is quite thin in some areas but their injury situation is absolutely better than ours too.

21 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

How is it inaccurate? Go have a look at transfermarkt. We were on par with most clubs in terms of fees and incomings outside the PP clubs. Pretty much everyone was in the red and could only dip into the market occasionally for a fee.

Atkinson and James were big gets his first window. Naismith massive in his third. Mehmeti and Cornick good championship moves. Then this summer where we dished out fees before the Scott sale. On top of the numerous other signings that had varying degrees of success. It isn’t as if he had both hands tied behind his back and blindfolded. He had resources and moulded a team in his vision and it made us marginally better over 2.5 years. 

But we have to be patient. Have sides like West Brom maybe even worse off than us financially, who have only had a couple of fees paid out with free transfers and loans filling out the squad, flying in 5th scoring goals. Lets add Cardiff to that mix too. Wrong time to sack him but ultimately the right choice. However, it is all moot. The interviews showed City’s reality. It will forever be a “sleeping giant” under the Lansdown ownership. Any success we have under SL is a one off fluke. Probably off the back of a disaster. 

Worth looking at Transfermarkt and you’ll see there are also lots of fees with “?” that don’t fall into the total amount spent.  It’s one of the flaws of Transfermarkt unfortunately. 

I could go go into chapter and verse on this subject and I’m not suggesting that makes me right either, it’s just I have done this over and over in the past…it’s just more nuanced and context driven that some £s in and out taken from TM.

To give one example and then I’ll shut up, West Brom, this summer was their first summer w/o PPs….Cashflow is their issue and some dodgy loans.  They used their PPs to retain a Relegated PL squad.  That’s hugely different set of circumstances to try to compare.  Much easier to not recruit much when you’ve already got a good squad.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

West Brom still have players such as Yokuslu, Swift, Wallace, Diangana, Dike etc. Maja too.

Too quick.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, extonsred said:

I cannot see why there is any interest in Robins... he's done ok at Coventry...but only OK...and now he seems to have peaked with them.  He's been a manager long time and hasn't really set the world alight...is a friend of SL...so....

Saying he’s done OK at Coventry is like saying Howe did alright at Bournemouth

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@JoeAman08

I bet their wage bill is higher than us, no doubt. 22-23 years of PL or Parachute Payments too. Did they gain £30-35m in fees for 2 young stars either?

Their squad is quite thin in some areas but their injury situation is absolutely better than ours too.

Most of those frees is my point. Sure their wages aren’t what we’d really like but they were competitive under financial burdens. They added most of those after covid and were awful with them last season. The point being what a decent manager can do. 

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Worth looking at Transfermarkt and you’ll see there are also lots of fees with “?” that don’t fall into the total amount spent.  It’s one of the flaws of Transfermarkt unfortunately. 

I could go go into chapter and verse on this subject and I’m not suggesting that makes me right either, it’s just I have done this over and over in the past…it’s just more nuanced and context driven that some £s in and out taken from TM.

To give one example and then I’ll shut up, West Brom, this summer was their first summer w/o PPs….Cashflow is their issue and some dodgy loans.  They used their PPs to retain a Relegated PL squad.  That’s hugely different set of circumstances to try to compare.  Much easier to not recruit much when you’ve already got a good squad.

Too quick.

Seems like they been down forever so on me if PP helped them over covid. I get how transfermarkt works. We have ? On Mehmeti and Cornick. It does show that fees weren’t flying around during the last few windows for most clubs. Couldn’t see many you’d say had a major leg up on city. Like I said to Mr P, it is a manager/head coach thing for me mostly. NP didn’t have all the tools he would have liked but not many did. Either recruitment hasn’t been good or NP wasn’t getting as much out of them as he should have.

• Like 1

Erm West Brom have been in receipt of Parachute Payments every season from 2002-03 to 2022-23. Via PL, and yoyoing. Right.

The main year of Covid they were in the PL. The first starting year they were in receipt of Parachute Payments. I believe that their wage bill may well be North of £30m but a while since I have looked. Ours @Davefevs may have kept across it better than me is £19m I read somewhere? Football side alone I mean.

They are also looking for a takeover pdq or player sales in January could kick in. Again they have had less injuries. They're reportedly looking to cut the wage bill further in January even if a takeover occurs.

The job Corberan has done there does have some merit,but he also has a bit more to work with.

Screenshot_20231031-155628_Chrome.thumb.jpg.926387134a4d6885e4d591cb16034b46.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Indeed. The vast amount of debt and the very reason we got ourselves into the FFP mess we got in (which Pearson did such a brilliant job at sorting out) is directly because of Steve and his boy’s decisions. The buck stops with them.

And how much more money is being wasted in paying iff a manager that the overwhelming majority of fand believe was doing a good job, all things considered?

I have a horrible feeling that it’s going to be Michael Beale. The emphasis on Head Coach makes me say this.

As a manager he was awful at Rangers - it’s come out from players and pundits up there that he didn’t have the capabilities or personality for the job. He did a poor job as assistant at São Paulo too.

To be fair, his coaching is highly regarded, but I could not stand him representing City.