IGNORED

John Eustace

Ziderarmy

8 minutes ago, numbeast said:

If what Brian Tinnion say about having to play "their way" even down to the formation is true then I'll be disappointed in any self respecting manager that take the job. Once more the owner and board want to micromanage the playing side of the club albeit this time they have someone who has played (and played well for us) and managed (very poorly)to stroke their egos. 

I'm not one of those who demand a manager to be sack nor one to complain about a manger appointment (with the exception of Tony Pulis in both cases) so whoever gets appointed will have my backing being a fan of Bristol City not Bristol Sport or Steve Lansdown. But Lansdown needs to realise that the best person for the job might not the best personality. The right man for the job will set his side up his way and play his own style and as long as he is reasonably back with transfer funds will bring the success that has, so far, eluded Steve Lansdown in his time in charge of the club.

Err... they just got rid of him.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Birmingham wage bill wise etc and relegation, not like the squad was really anything other than midtable to lower midtable. 

Inept Governance of which Birmingham had plenty can drag even a reasonable side down and being really well run can elevate some sides. I don't see how a wage bill of £25-30m most likely is relegation worthy.

I was just going by what the bookies thought.

Were they in much of a better state than Reading at the time? Thought they had some sort of embargo and definitely half ground was closed.

Anyway it's probablt irrelevant until there is any official announcement that JE is the new man.

Edited by fgrsimon
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

I was just going by what the bookies thought.

Were they in much of a better state than Reading at the time? Thought they had some sort of embargo and definitely half ground was closed.

Anyway it's probablt irrelevant until there is any official announcement that JE is the new man.

Ah yeah part of ground closed for repairs, possibly a bit restricted by FFP but less than us. Would have to compare the full year accounts for both when out however. He isnt terrible, suppose it is a tough job for a rookie- just not sure how he is a markedly superior or would be a superior choice vs NP.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Could be worse… but a downgrade none the less.. will back him of course.. he will need it!

Off the back of those 2 “interviews” with Crayons and Tinman he needs to as a minimum:

Get promoted.

Not allow any players to get injured.

Play attractive football.

Never disagree with the hierarchy. 

Do all this this season. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, Not Banksy said:

Could be worse… but a downgrade none the less.. will back him of course.. he will need it!

Off the back of those 2 “interviews” with Crayons and Tinman he needs to as a minimum:

Get promoted.

Not allow any players to get injured.

Play attractive football.

Never disagree with the hierarchy. 

Do all this this season. 

Yup. In a nutshell (Or a nuthouse).

I reckon you're Banksy, btw.

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah yeah part of ground closed for repairs, possibly a bit restricted by FFP but less than us. Would have to compare the full year accounts for both when out however. He isnt terrible, suppose it is a tough job for a rookie- just not sure how he is a markedly superior or would be a superior choice vs NP.

No I quite agree, I haven't seen anyone mentioned seriously that would be a superior choice vs NP but that sadly is no longer a choice we have. Unless after a vigorous search someone comes to the conclusion that NP is in fact the outstanding option and a good human! 

It's just that of the front runners for me JE is the most exciting choice

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

And you are quite bitter and angry in so many of your posts.

If you find this so incredibly upsetting I just find it odd that you have managed  just 235 posts on OTIB since you joined 13 years ago in 2012 and most of your posts being in the non football forum.

Just in case you missed it- Nigel Pearson hasn't been the only contentious issue since 2012 .

I mean ... how about O Driscoll or McInnes or even Holden and my goodness you missed a belter with Lee Johnson whilst the amazing and brilliant Steve Cotterill was worth 235 posts alone.

Sorry- but it's all a bit weird from you..... IMO of course. 

Oh dear, another troll. I was banned.

8 hours ago, Oops said:

Deranged.

Lay off the Katy mate.

I’m not using my season ticket until the  reptiles in charge are gone. 

7 hours ago, Oops said:

You’re welcome to it.

Come and introduce yourself next time I can be arsed, we’ll negotiate a price.

So that changed quickly.

Within the same page of the same thread..... you are 'not going to go to BS3 whilst the reptiles are in charge' then a few comments later.... you'll 'be going when you can be asked'.

blimey- there's a turn around.Some could see it as disingenuous comment to fit a narrative..

I love the bit about " come and introduce yourself" - it harks back to the days of " meet me at the back of the Dolman" when a poster was losing their argument. I thought we'd moved on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kimpton said:

He isn’t unknown you may not know him but he has been on championship radar for years but has captain/leader and manager - he has picked and chosen his jobs because he is highly rated enough to be able to. Teams play solid good well drilled football.

I’ve known of him since he was caretaker at qpr , that’s why I’m not filled with confidence as I don’t think he warrants sacking an experienced manager for .

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So that changed quickly.

Within the same page of the same thread..... you are 'not going to go to BS3 whilst the reptiles are in charge' then a few comments later.... you'll 'be going when you can be asked'.

blimey- there's a turn around.Some could see it as disingenuous comment to fit a narrative..

I love the bit about " come and introduce yourself" - it harks back to the days of " meet me at the back of the Dolman" when a poster was losing their argument. I thought we'd moved on.

Grow up mate.

You asked a daft question and didn't expect an answer. Sorry if the answer caused you distress. Go and spend some time in your safe space hugging a kitten or composing a ballad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, numbeast said:

If what Brian Tinnion say about having to play "their way" even down to the formation is true then I'll be disappointed in any self respecting manager that take the job. Once more the owner and board want to micromanage the playing side of the club albeit this time they have someone who has played (and played well for us) and managed (very poorly)to stroke their egos. 

I'm not one of those who demand a manager to be sack nor one to complain about a manger appointment (with the exception of Tony Pulis in both cases) so whoever gets appointed will have my backing being a fan of Bristol City not Bristol Sport or Steve Lansdown. But Lansdown needs to realise that the best person for the job might not the best personality. The right man for the job will set his side up his way and play his own style and as long as he is reasonably back with transfer funds will bring the success that has, so far, eluded Steve Lansdown in his time in charge of the club.

Totally agreed. You cannot tell a new manager to play the way Brian Tinnion wants to play. You may as well give Tinnion and Lansdown joint management. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Totally agreed. You cannot tell a new manager to play the way Brian Tinnion wants to play. You may as well give Tinnion and Lansdown joint management. 

Disagree, i would have thought that having a playing culture from the top down is a good thing if you then recruit for that culture? Liverpool do it with their press and fast attack, man city have their possession and tactical flexibility, swansea have done it for years, and clubs all over the world do it too. Luton wouldn’t have a highly physical playing style then recruit someone like Michael laudrup as manager when he was a much better match for the type of football swansea were looking to play when he joined them. The fact it took the lansdowns 20 odd years to figure this out is what the problem is!

• Like 4

To be fair to Eustace, he wouldn't be the worst appointment the club have made.

It's just so underwhelming, isn't it?

I think we all know what's happened. Our club got in the sh1t financially due to Covid (and our risky transfer policy). We got Nige on board to straighten us out. SL tolerated NP, even though NP is not his "type," a means to an end if you like.

Don't get me wrong, I was not convinced for a while, and like most, I was struggling with supporting the manager at the tail end of 2022. BUT, I think we can all see Nige turned it around somewhat. Perfect football? nope. Promotion chasers? Nope. Frustrating performances at times? Yes! But I'm sure the majority of us agree that Nige deserved to see the project out. He'd earnt that after following the brief and the budget after all. And I did grow to like the guy, seems to have decent principles.

Now, it's seems clear, maybe I'm wrong, but we now want a "head coach" (not someone telling the Lansdowns how to run a "business"), rather than a manager.

BT is the new mouthpiece of SL, the intermediate that will translate SL's idea of a football club to the real world. Hell, BT was even well respected by the fans! Most of us have been calling for a DOF for years, so there is no real problem with that. Just not like this...

Whoever gets the head coach's job will get most fans' support for the honeymoon period, after all it's not their fault, out of work managers (sorry head coaches!) Take the work where it is. It's just gonna take a while to get the bitter taste out of my mouth from "our" football club.

Makes it hard to get excited about any appointment, no?

• Like 13
  • Flames 2

38 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Disagree, i would have thought that having a playing culture from the top down is a good thing if you then recruit for that culture? Liverpool do it with their press and fast attack, man city have their possession and tactical flexibility, swansea have done it for years, and clubs all over the world do it too. Luton wouldn’t have a highly physical playing style then recruit someone like Michael laudrup as manager when he was a much better match for the type of football swansea were looking to play when he joined them. The fact it took the lansdowns 20 odd years to figure this out is what the problem is!

We are back to the Swansea model.  And interesting that you mentioned Laudrup!

I have no probs with that at all.  As you say recruitment of players can be more efficient.  Getting the right manager in future (whether sacked or poached) shouldn’t be hard, it’s not like we are specifying a unique way of playing is it.

I’m as gutted as anyone Nige isn’t gonna be here to follow up on his foundation laying and strategy setting, but he’s left it in a good place for his replacement.

10 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

To be fair to Eustace, he wouldn't be the worst appointment the club have made.

It's just so underwhelming, isn't it?

I think we all know what's happened. Our club got in the sh1t financially due to Covid (and our risky transfer policy). We got Nige on board to straighten us out. SL tolerated NP, even though NP is not his "type," a means to an end if you like.

Don't get me wrong, I was not convinced for a while, and like most, I was struggling with supporting the manager at the tail end of 2022. BUT, I think we can all see Nige turned it around somewhat. Perfect football? nope. Promotion chasers? Nope. Frustrating performances at times? Yes! But I'm sure the majority of us agree that Nige deserved to see the project out. He'd earnt that after following the brief and the budget after all. And I did grow to like the guy, seems to have decent principles.

Now, it's seems clear, maybe I'm wrong, but we now want a "head coach" (not someone telling the Lansdowns how to run a "business"), rather than a manager.

BT is the new mouthpiece of SL, the intermediate that will translate SL's idea of a football club to the real world. Hell, BT was even well respected by the fans! Most of us have been calling for a DOF for years, so there is no real problem with that. Just not like this...

Whoever gets the head coach's job will get most fans' support for the honeymoon period, after all it's not their fault, out of work managers (sorry head coaches!) Take the work where it is. It's just gonna take a while to get the bitter taste out of my mouth from "our" football club.

Makes it hard to get excited about any appointment, no?

I’ve been crying out for a DOF type person to bridge the gap between manager and board for ages.  Not just reporting lines but role responsibilities too.  Much as Nige did more than just be the first team manager, he’s not one to get engrossed in recruitment or budgets so bringing in Tinnion was a good choice.  We had a gap.  That gap was weak and exploited during the Mark Ashton reign, and not just MA to blame.

It appeared we had the perfect set-up this time last year when Nige, Richard and Tins gave us a really good fans forum.  Tins had not been appointed at that point but someone asked a question on my behalf that with Richard having just announced he was going, would there be an opportunity to create a different structure.  And they answered that they would be looking for any opportunities to improve the setup.  A little while later Tins was promoted to Technical Director.

All seemed good.

So I think the structure is right.  It’s just we now need to wait and see how they perform, perform together.

As for not getting excited - it’s always hard when the outgoing manager was largely popular and a sacking felt harsh.  We had that with Cotts.  We didn’t have the set-up right for LJ…see above.

I made the mistake of not being excited by Gary Johnson.  My bias and comparison to other managers was that he’d find it hard to step up to our level and manage players with egos.  I was wrong.  I vowed to give every manager going forward tye benefit of doubt.

When a new manager is rumoured, you can frame any set of pros and cons to suit your argument, but none of us know how they will do.  Some click, some don’t.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

*When a new manager is rumoured, you can frame any set of pros and cons to suit your argument, but none of us know how they will do.  Some click, some don’t.

I've copied and pasted your last sentence above Fevs.

I totally agree but even agreeing with this it just shows how much of a gamble and massive (wrong IMO) decision it was to sack NP. So we are banking in the hierarchy at the club to firstly, make the right choice of Manager or Head Coach. Then once they have done that, make the right choices moving forward to back it all up. 

I'm sorry but it is too much of a leap of faith for me to think they will do any of these things.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1