IGNORED

John Eustace

Ziderarmy

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Okay, separating Eustace from Nige for a moment, and caveating that I really wish Nige was still here, it isn’t actually a bad choice on paper. He did well and was lauded for his football style at Kidderminster, so the Brum slightly more abrasive may have been horses for courses. I’m not dismissive of his 17th place finish last season as they were favourites to go down but he kept them up comfortably. Seemed also very well thought of by the squad there, and did start well this season - I thought at AG they played a bit less of a “spoiler” game than the prior season so it plays to the theory that he adapts dependent on what he has.

Hes familiar with the division and will know some of the players from Ireland.

Hes not Nige, who I’d rather have. It’s still Lansdowns out. It’s still Tinnion out. But my feeling is we could have been saddled with a lot worse

Entirely my take.

Last time pre Nige we got Dean Holden, this very clearly would not be that.

Agred 100% with new ownership needed asap & Tinnion to leave with them, too.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

So it would seem that Nige's replacement was lined up before he was pushed out.

I’d prefer this though.

Even if I didn’t agree with the sacking, or the person they replace him with it at least suggests some thought has gone into and a plan.

If they’d sacked him just because, then decided to do the search it would suggest a knee jerk reaction 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Okay, separating Eustace from Nige for a moment, and caveating that I really wish Nige was still here, it isn’t actually a bad choice on paper. He did well and was lauded for his football style at Kidderminster, so the Brum slightly more abrasive may have been horses for courses. I’m not dismissive of his 17th place finish last season as they were favourites to go down but he kept them up comfortably. Seemed also very well thought of by the squad there, and did start well this season - I thought at AG they played a bit less of a “spoiler” game than the prior season so it plays to the theory that he adapts dependent on what he has.

Hes not Nige, who I’d rather have. It’s still Lansdowns out. It’s still Tinnion out. But my feeling is we could have been saddled with a lot worse

Certainty can’t blame him for taking the job but I’ve got little respect for anyone who would come to us and work under the parameters set out by us

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Don't disagree but the fact you had to write 'he did well at Kidderminster' rather sums up the whole farce

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Just now, ralphindevon said:

Those remembering his team beating us earlier this season may be forget that was the game a few of our players forgot how to pass a ball more than 3 yards.

Plus from the few I’ve spoken to, the Birmingham fans seem more angry at who he was dumped for more than just him being dumped 

Watched us at their place last season.    They played us off the park there tbf as well although again we were absolutely awful that day.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, maxjak said:

If this is true?    What a let down.    A club like ours should be casting its net widely all over Europe to find a young progressive tracksuit coach, like a Farke or Frank type (Yes i know that is a cliche).....but that is exactly what this club needs?   Instead we take the easy option off of the merry go round of sacked managers.....no ambition no foresight?   If we were intending to get rid of NP, why didn't we spend a few months looking at possible replacements, vetting them, researching them, and talking to candidates?    Instead it's a case of who's out of job, and is gonna be grateful to be employed, and lets make sure he is a YES man who won't upset anyone?    It is all so very tedious IMO.

Don't forget, BT doesn't speak foreign

14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

If this is true?    What a let down.    A club like ours should be casting its net widely all over Europe to find a young progressive tracksuit coach, like a Farke or Frank type (Yes i know that is a cliche).....but that is exactly what this club needs?   Instead we take the easy option off of the merry go round of sacked managers.....no ambition no foresight?   If we were intending to get rid of NP, why didn't we spend a few months looking at possible replacements, vetting them, researching them, and talking to candidates?    Instead it's a case of who's out of job, and is gonna be grateful to be employed, and lets make sure he is a YES man who won't upset anyone?    It is all so very tedious IMO.

You realise Thomas Frank was promoted from assistant at Brentford having moved into assistant roles from a manager role at a lower standard of football? Not really dissimilar to Eustace when Birmingham appointed him.

He might prove to be the wrong man  but it feels people are simultaneously trying to paint Eustace as an untested coach who lacks experience or a tired, obvious appointment who has serially failed elsewhere.

He can only be one of those two things and the former is far closer than the latter. When Birmingham appointed him, he WAS a gamble on a young progressive coach a la Frank or Farke. He might not be as good as those - far too early to tell as both of those coaches were mid-table in their first seasons in the Championship - but I’m not sure a year in the Championship has turned Eustace into a the washed up has-been you seem to think. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 7

I’ll get behind him if it’s true but how underwhelming sacking big nige for someone who’s just gonna be another lansdown yes man and eventually scapegoat . 

I wish him all the best if we make him manager  but this appointment leaves me so disinterested in the club whilst it’s run by the lansdowns , we’ll never have any proper success under them .

So we get rid of a massively experienced manager, who had laid the foundations through his planning and foresight towards our future,  and despite having one hand tied behind his back, due to no budget to replace losing quality players, and a coach load of injured first teamers, he produces a team who fight for each other, and once the injured return, will have a team of winners................and replace him with some bloke that that they found at a Midlands bus stop?   Hallelujah!

• Like 3

So can someone more intelligent explain this to me? Having sacked Pearson two days ago and having said today we have a clear idea of what we want we have completed a complete review of all the best candidates, interviewed the best of them and concluded who is the right person within 48 hours?

Or could it be that in order to try and move the conversation on, deflect attention from the board and protect Jon from further criticism the first credible candidate who is both cheap and available has been appointed in the random hope that it might not be catastrophic? 
This might work, but it probably won’t and if it does it is just blind luck. This is an incompetent board following one bad decision with another. The club has become a cluster fudge. 
Steve, step up, do something. 

All still feels a bit raw at the moment to be honest and this appointment doesn’t feel me with any real optimism or positivity. Eustace has limited experience and wasn’t any better than Pearson last season. 

Cannot get my head around the Lansdown’s. Pissed me right off. Even the recent Instagram post from the club with the players training has pissed me off. It probably isn’t / doesn’t but even that seems a dig at Pearson. 

I hope for Eustace’s sake he hits the ground running and we finish in the top 6. 

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter
  • Flames 1

Presumably Tinnion has identified that Birmingham had an incredibly injury-free squad last season?

As that's his bullsh1t excuse for sacking Pearson/Rennie and I can't think of a single reason why this bloke's an upgrade in any other respect on what he already had.

Any stattos confirm Brum's injury record last year? Thanking you in advance. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

You realise Thomas Frank was promoted from assistant at Brentford having moved into assistant roles from a manager role at a lower standard of football? Not really dissimilar to Eustace when Birmingham appointed him.

He might prove to be the wrong man  but it feels people are simultaneously trying to paint Eustace as an untested coach who lacks experience or a tired, obvious appointment who has serially failed elsewhere.

He can only be one of those two things and the former is far closer than the latter. When Birmingham appointed him, he WAS a gamble on a young progressive coach a la Frank or Farke. He might not be as good as those - far too early to tell as both of those coaches were mid-table in their first seasons in the Championship - but I’m not sure a year in the Championship has turned Eustace into a the washed up has-been you seem to think. 

I don't believe he is a washed up "has been" but i do believe that he is not an upgrade on our former manager.   But i am more than happy to be proved wrong, ultimately i support the team, and he is not someone who fills me with hope or excitement?   He has no track record of any consequence, and i believe he is a typically easy option by the Lansdowns.  I wish him well.

5 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yes, you can find lots of impressive stuff about his character on the internet. Sounds like a good bloke.

But can he win promotion?

Because that's apparently the only yardstick to be used.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

Was chatting to a Blues fan earlier who knows his stuff and he absolutely loved Eustace, said we should be delighted if we get him. I’m far from convinced, and would have Nige over him every day of the week, but it sounds like we could have done worse based on what my mate said. 

Quote from the link above:
‘The model at Kidderminster was to develop top young players and move them on. Our recruitment was through academies. You’re released by clubs [at a higher level] and then given a chance to go full-time with us, so first of all you’ve got to handle that these kids thought they were going to become top players and it didn’t work out. But then you’ve got to impart knowledge on them to help them bounce back and we did that particularly well because in the time since probably about 20 players have gone back into the league. John is a great galvaniser of young men.’

• Like 1