IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday at home match thread

Two pretty even teams, even with the red card the game could have gone either way.

Both teams lacking quality once they get over the half way line, wish we had a bit of purpose about us when we get one v one with defenders or can play someone in behind. The pass is on but rarely ever played.

You could have thrown a blanket on their midfield and striker they were defending so narrow in the first half, they knew we wouldn't break them down through the middle without Naismith. Opened up a bit after the red card.

Good game from Max after a few dodgy early passes, commanded the box and what a save to keep us in front from that free kick.

Some decent performances but a lot of slow predictable possession isn't going to hurt the better sides in this division.

Edited by ProfitInMyPocket
Spelling mistake

Phew a home win, just!

That was quite painful to watch, but I’m delighted with three points.

Bearing in mind we faced 10 men for an hour and they are bottom of the table we really did make very hard work of that.

Throughout the game we looked to be playing very cautiously with the ball going square or backwards, far too often, and at quite a pedestrian pace. Wednesday had plenty of time to organize themselves, and when they were on the wall, they looked more likely to create something, to be honest, and did so with a number of really good opportunities. Other than Sam Bell’s  astonishing miss, I can’t remember too many clear cut chances that we created.

If our new Head Coach was watching that, they will know they have quite a lot of work to do, especially IMO around creative moments that create chances. Thought Gardner-Hickman put in a great shift and Max kept us in it with the save towards the end.

Overall, it was quite frustrating to watch, but a home win, nevertheless.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

Phew a home win, just!

That was quite painful to watch, but I’m delighted with three points.

Bearing in mind we faced 10 men for an hour and they are bottom of the table we really did make very hard work of that.

Throughout the game we looked to be playing very cautiously with the ball going square or backwards, far too often, and at quite a pedestrian pace. Wednesday had plenty of time to organize themselves, and when they were on the wall, they looked more likely to create something, to be honest, and did so with a number of really good opportunities. Other than Sam Bell’s  astonishing miss, I can’t remember too many clear cut chances that we created.

If our new Head Coach was watching that, they will know they have quite a lot of work to do, especially IMO around creative moments that create chances. Thought Gardner-Hickman put in a great shift and Max kept us in it with the save towards the end.

Overall, it was quite frustrating to watch, but a home win, nevertheless.

Hickman definitely has something there 👍

10 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Largely uninspiring, perhaps the new manager will break away from playing a front 3, it does not suit our forwards other than perhaps Cornick

In fairness, I think it does suit many of our forwards.

Conway is good through the centre of a 3, as is Wells.

Sykes, Mehmeti, and Bell are fine out wide. In fact, I'd argue that wide in a front 3 is the only position Bell can play.

Whilst Conway has been injured (and other injuries have moved Sykes to RB), I think it's a general lack of quality in the front 3 that's been the bigger issue. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Exactly, it’s the same football as Pearson! I’ve no idea why people have this idea that we were playing tika taka football under him, it’s bizarre.

Who mentioned tika taka? It’s all good though cos the new man will come in, won’t have to spend a penny and it’s HMS Piss the League (see, we can all talk shit).

• Like 6