IGNORED

Day of reckoning?

CliftonCliff

8 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

No mate, people have gone way too far down the road now and too many egos would be bruised to admit that they were wrong. The narrative will be “it was a fluke” or “why has it taken so long”. 

@lenredIts all good and well giving me a facepalm, but can you honestly say you can hear the fans chanting their names after all the vitriol they’ve received? 

4 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

@lenredIts all good and well giving me a facepalm, but can you honestly say you can hear the fans chanting their names after all the vitriol they’ve received? 

Wow, defensive much?! 

I facepalmed you because I would class myself as one of NPs greater supporters on here but literally wrote that I would give credit if we get into the play offs.
The OP said nothing about ‘singing songs’ so not sure where that’s come from but it seems you want to continue your constant narrative that Lansdown is amazing and we should all worship at his feet, despite the consistent **** ups of the last 20 years, this last one being one of the greatest……

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Not really, for a few reasons:

1) I, like many others, don't believe that the Lansdowns fired Pearson for purely footballing reasons. This wasn't just about league position and success, it was about Pearson "rocking the boat". Hence, if the new manager is able to achieve more success with the current squad, then it could be argued that this is just a fortunate by-product of the true reason for Pearson's sacking.

2) I'm expecting the new manager to be given more money than Pearson was in the summer. The Lansdowns can't really say "We told you so" re a new manager if the reason for our improved success is £10m of the Alex Scott money magically becoming available. FWIW, I think Pearson's funds were deliberately limited in the summer with a view from the hierarchy that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he were to struggle a bit at times this season.

3) The Landsdowns have been appointing managers for decades and have got it wrong almost every single time. Even if this truly is a purely footballing decision and points (1) and (2) are invalid, then it would still have taken them so many attempts to bring the right manager in. It would simply feel as though it was luck more than judgement - a case of monkeys & typewriters.

Your point 1) is interesting. Because, like you, I don't believe it was purely footballing reasons, but that leads me to almost the opposite conclusion! I'll give you a hypothetical scenario: they (Lansdowns, maybe others) are concerned about NP's health problems, his absences from work, the potential for that to continue. They tell him that they don't want to make a decision about his future until the outcome of the investigations into his latest condition are known. NP doesn't like that, and deliberately undermines it by going public with that statement about being frustrated not to know his future. He knows that will rile them, and that's the final straw that causes the relationship to break down. That's a lot more than just 'rocking the boat', and in that scenario, in any organisation, it's unsustainable. So, new manager-wise, it's not just a by-product, it's a consequence of a healthy working relationship. 

And in that scenario, 2) makes more sense.

As I've said elsewhere this morning, I don't think 3) is a fair assessment of their record. Cotterill, both Johnsons, and - as seems to be forgotten by many of those who (rightly) credit NP with the role he's played in getting us out of the mess we were in - Pearson himself. 

All hypothesis and opinions though!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Or they “used him” to get us through a potential banana skin game, and can now leave to Cisse and Hines.

(cynical vuew ⬆️⬆️⬆️)

It’s not that I’m not cynical but that still doesn’t quite make sense to me. We’ve got another potential banana skin Saturday and then a two week break.

Lansdown, Tinnion and Marshall spent most of last week scrambling to do - I suspect, to them, unexpected - PR work to settle supporters (and maybe players?) as a result of the backlash to Pearson’s sacking.

Even if they wanted Fleming out, they would only need to put up with him for one more week to buy themselves time and I don’t see what benefit they would feel they would gain by creating more unnecessary certainty right now when they could make the same decision Saturday and keep a low profile for two weeks if they needed longer to appoint.

Getting rid of Fleming now invites outside pressure to appoint more quickly and I don’t get the logic at all - even from a cynical perspective - unless an appointment is expected ahead of QPR.

15 minutes ago, lenred said:

Wow, defensive much?! 

I facepalmed you because I would class myself as one of NPs greater supporters on here but literally wrote that I would give credit if we get into the play offs.
The OP said nothing about ‘singing songs’ so not sure where that’s come from but it seems you want to continue your constant narrative that Lansdown is amazing and we should all worship at his feet, despite the consistent **** ups of the last 20 years, this last one being one of the greatest……

In which case apologies. I find it frustrating when people facepalm a post without offering any sort of debate etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brady bunch said:

is anyone hanging around Clifton Village, Temple Meads and the Airport for us.... we need better scouting...

I'm going to the airport later so happy to help.

(To be clear though, it is not Bristol airport. Hope that doesn't matter)

• Haha 2
  • Robin 1

• Admin
Just now, ExiledAjax said:

We will still be outside of the top 6 even if we win against QPR. Not a good start for the new guy.

Whoever the successful candidate is, he needs to make them wait until such time as we are within 2 points of the play-offs so he at least stands a chance!

Just now, NcnsBcfc said:

Heard back from James Piercy on Twitter that nothing is arranged for today media wise as it stands.

That can always change I suppose, but unlikely given the importance to the Club of the announcement.

Was it Shags (under a different name) that told to expect something today? ❌

Robin4Life2 said Lampard was due to be appointed ❌

Random poster and Ian Gay said it would be exciting ❌ (okay, not proven yet... :ph34r:)

All the rumours have been bobbins and the bookies odds reflect that.

We know nothing...Still...

• Like 1

I’m preparing to be underwhelmed. I remember when LJ eventually left and SL said it was time for a fresh face. We were told we had a short list of high-quality candidates etc, etc  and after several weeks and a thorough and exhaustive interview process we appointed …….. Dean Holden.

• Haha 1

• Admin
Just now, mozo said:

Was it Shags (under a different name) that told to expect something today? ❌

Robin4Life2 said Lampard was due to be appointed ❌

Random poster and Ian Gay said it would be exciting ❌ (okay, not proven yet... :ph34r:)

All the rumours have been bobbins and the bookies odds reflect that.

We know nothing...Still...

He’ll never join us with his current side sitting 4th in Ligue 1.

• Facepalm 1