IGNORED

Day of reckoning?

CliftonCliff

1 minute ago, CliftonCliff said:

Can understand you finding it repetitious and getting tired of it, but with respect, there's a simple solution - stop reading it.

Wish I knew before starting to read, unfortunately you can't filter out the exact same conversation cropping up on numerous different inconspicuous topics. 

46 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Take your point but Harry (bless him) hasn’t been with us for many years.

It is the Lansdowns now & look at their track record.

And AD wouldn’t have stood a chance with the level of expectation nowadays.

He was given 9 years to get us promoted, the first four of which we flirted with relegation. Even in his 7th season we finished 16th! Can you imagine OTIB’s reaction for most of those 10 years - and that’s before you start on other social media!

FWIW, I don’t believe that Lansdown’s track record is as bad as many portray. Which doesn’t mean that I’m full of hope this morning! Looking forward to being underwhelmed, but hoping that this will be the one! 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

IF .. they get this right and IF we made playoffs.. would your opinion change on Lansdowns and respect their choice? 

Or is it more the way it happened? 

I don't agree with how this has all happened but if we get an unbelievable coach and fly up the league.. would you think fair play or still not like it? 

Just playing hypothetical, whilst we wait 😅

1 minute ago, Slack said:

IF .. they get this right and IF we made playoffs.. would your opinion change on Lansdowns and respect their choice? 

I don't agree with how this has all happened but if we get an unbelievable coach and fly up the league.. would you think fair play or still not like it? 

Opinion would definitely change. Taking a risk and it paying off has to be respected - however it's exactly that, a risk, which means if it doesn't work then they're going to be up for a lot of scrutiny!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Slack said:

No, they jumped the shark with their decision and action on Pearson for me. It could’ve been done in a much better way. 

If the new person does well, great. But there is no saying Pearson wouldn’t have achieved that either. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slack said:

IF we get into the playoffs Id have to say fair play.  That’s a huge IF atm mind! It wouldn’t  change my mind about Pearson however and the fact that he’s been royally stitched up by the ‘top team’. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cityred2000 said:

Opinion would definitely change. Taking a risk and it paying off has to be respected - however it's exactly that, a risk, which means if it doesn't work then they're going to be up for a lot of scrutiny!

We've been watching dross football for about five years now so i'm all for taking a risk  

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, One Team said:

No, they jumped the shark with their decision and action on Pearson for me. It could’ve been done in a much better way. 

If the new person does well, great. But there is no saying Pearson wouldn’t have achieved that either. 

Also no saying that Holden wouldn't have got us back into the play offs (as we were) once he got all of his injured players back.

Ifs and buts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Can understand you finding it repetitious and getting tired of it, but with respect, there's a simple solution - stop reading it.

I think part of the despondency CC if like me you didn’t want NP out, it’s actually difficult to get excited about someone coming in,when you’re still bemused at the old one going out!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

We've been watching dross football for about five years now so i'm all for taking a risk  

You're right for various reasons it has been, we haven't really got much to lose and much to gain though I realise I'm probably in the minority I was beginning to feel it was time for a change, he was very unlucky with injuries and the fact we keep selling our best players but other clubs who have spent a lot less than us over the past 3 years have done a lot better, Preston and Luton to name just two.

11 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Don’t really think the club quite get it yet. They’re trying to get us excited about a new manager (or whatever they bloody call it) when we didn’t actually want the old manager to be sacked. 

Every minute this goes on, it just pisses me off even more. 

Yep, like a mate trying to set you up with someone from work and you’re still in love with you ex. 

My expectations are very, very low; but if they pulled off a blinder it would at least create some positivity. 

Whilst I didn’t necessarily agree with the sacking of Pearson and timing of it, I struggled to see us progressing any further than mid table under him. I think the majority of fans will be underwhelmed by the appointment of Manning (if what we hear is true), I actually think it’s the most sensible appointment to make. Someone young who wants to prove and challenge himself in a new division, similar to when LJ was appointed.. a lot of questions were asked but arguably turned out to be the best appointment in years.

If a bigger name was appointed, Lampard for example, he would either do very well and probably move on at the end of the year regardless, or be sacked for underachieving. An appointment such as Manning makes a lot more sense longer term in my opinion, especially considering he’s over achieving with a team who I imagine don’t have lots of money to spend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the major question is whether Fleming has definitely gone. If that gets confirmed then it surely must mean we are about to appoint today? 

Or they “used him” to get us through a potential banana skin game, and can now leave to Cisse and Hines.

(cynical vuew ⬆️⬆️⬆️)

52 minutes ago, Slack said:

Not really, for a few reasons:

1) I, like many others, don't believe that the Lansdowns fired Pearson for purely footballing reasons. This wasn't just about league position and success, it was about Pearson "rocking the boat". Hence, if the new manager is able to achieve more success with the current squad, then it could be argued that this is just a fortunate by-product of the true reason for Pearson's sacking.

2) I'm expecting the new manager to be given more money than Pearson was in the summer. The Lansdowns can't really say "We told you so" re a new manager if the reason for our improved success is £10m of the Alex Scott money magically becoming available. FWIW, I think Pearson's funds were deliberately limited in the summer with a view from the hierarchy that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he were to struggle a bit at times this season.

3) The Landsdowns have been appointing managers for decades and have got it wrong almost every single time. Even if this truly is a purely footballing decision and points (1) and (2) are invalid, then it would still have taken them so many attempts to bring the right manager in. It would simply feel as though it was luck more than judgement - a case of monkeys & typewriters.

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, LoyalRed said:

"he also has a reputation for playing good football".. The same was said for Erik ten Hag at Ajax & Steve Cotterill of Bristol City in L1.  Performing well in an inferior league doesn't count for much.

Ten Hag and his Ajax side did it at the CL level tbh, vs sides with bigger resources etc. Man United seem amusingly dysfunctional still, some top and some while not too with strong reputation seem to go there, do fine to a point, hit a plateau then decline sharply.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ten Hag and his Ajax side did it at the CL level tbh, vs sides with bigger resources etc. Man United seem amusingly dysfunctional still, some top and some while not too with strong reputation seem to go there, do fine to a point, hit a plateau then decline sharply.

Tags win ratio is higher than all the managers since Fergie, can't comment on the style of football but he's not done badly with a basket case of a club and squad

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Slack said:

Despite Jon's ramblings our squad isn't strong enough to be anywhere near top six - we won't be flying anywhere right now, regardless of whomever takes the reins.

The spine of the side clearly needs strengthening.

Edited by Son of Fred

1 minute ago, Son of Fred said:

Despite Jon's ramblings our squad isn't strong enough to be anywhere near top six - we won't be flying anywhere right now, regardless of whomever takes the reigns.

The spine of the side clearly needs strengthening.

Fair, I mean as I said it's a huge IF but I will say this.. get the right level of momentum any team can go on a run.. 

2 hours ago, 42nite said:

This.

For all of those that said CF was sacked saturday after the match.... was he?

As per my post on Sunday morning:

I’d heard he’d gone, I’ve no idea whether true.

I very much suspect others were the same, they’d been told something in good faith, and passed it on.  I caveat mine, because I don’t know how far removed the person who told me is from the truth.  Unless you’re genuinely ITK, I think that’s all we can do when we “hear something”!

43 minutes ago, Slack said:

No mate, people have gone way too far down the road now and too many egos would be bruised to admit that they were wrong. The narrative will be “it was a fluke” or “why has it taken so long”. 

• Facepalm 1