IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers away match thread

The start of Liam Manning’s era with a visit to W12. Coincidentally, he’d been linked with the vacant QPR job last year, https://www.footballfancast.com/qpr-news/qpr-liam-manning-mk-dons-michael-beale-loftus-road/

We will have a good following with all allocated tickets sold.

Guide to the ground, https://s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/gc-media-assets.gc.qprfcservices.co.uk/8ca3b830-3846-11ee-9139-e1320a93482c.pdf

Who is the ex QPR player in the photo below?

We have won on our last five visits to Loftus Road, last season 2-0 in the final game of the season: https://youtu.be/oSo38xmurlE

They ended up in 20th position on 50 points last season. They are struggling again this season and occupy x place on x points.

In May they confirmed that Taylor Richards had joined the club permanently from Brighton after a season-long loan deal. The 22-year-old joined for the 2022/23 campaign with a view to a permanent deal last July and while the move did not quite go to plan, he finally  signed a three-year deal at Loftus Road.

QPR trivia

The Hoops have played their home matches at Loftus Road since 1917. The only time in over 100 years when they haven't played home games there was from 1931-33 and 1962-63, when they played at White City Stadium.

Alec Stock is their longest serving manager. He took charge of 439 games over an exact nine-year tenure at the helm from 1959-68. He must be one of the few managers in the history of the sport to manage an exact number of years with a club. During his time, he had a winning percentage of 46.9%.

Other notable ex-managers include Terry Venables, Harry Redknapp, and Ian Holloway.

The R's pioneered AstroTurf pitches in the UK - they were the first football club to replace grass with artificial pitches in 1981, and they were the first club to remove them in 1988.

QPR's famous supporters

Michael Gove - Politician

Bill Bailey - musician, actor and comedian

Martin Clunes - actor, comedian, director and presenter best known for playing the lead role in the ITV series Doc Martin.

Pete Doherty - a musician, songwriter, actor, poet, writer and artist best known for being co-frontman of the Libertines.

Ashley Giles - former cricketer who played 54 Test matches and 62 One Day Internationals for England before retiring due to a hip injury in 2007.

Shane Richie - actor, comedian, presenter and singer best known for his role as Alfie Moon in Eastenders.

Head-to-head record is fairly even (cue Pongo)

Won: 35

Lost: 37

Drawn: 25

They have only scored four goals at home this season, and they have not scored more than once in a home game since they overcame Wigan 2-1 on 22 October last year. They drew 1-1 last time out away to fellow strugglers Rotherham and currently have nine points, having won two, drawn three and lost ten games.

Officials

Referee: Geoff Eltringham

Assistants: Rob Smith and Andrew Dallison

Fourth official: Charles Breakspear

Their view of us: https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/team-focus-bristol-city-190723/

Davefevs provided Loft for Words with this excellent piece: https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/61230/manning-the-man-for-city-after-oddly-timed-pearson-ditching--interview

Gareth Ainsworth was sacked at the end of October, following a sixth straight defeat and nine games without a win, https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67043438 and https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2023/october/28/gareth-ainsworth-leaves-qpr/

They replaced him with Hammarby boss Marti Cifuentes. The 41-year-old

Spaniard was in charge of the Swedish top-flight side for two years.

"Marti is an exciting appointment and we look forward to seeing the impact he can have," QPR chief executive Lee Hoos said "Having a succession plan in place is a necessary part of football, irrespective of how the team are performing. Marti is someone we have been aware of so we are really pleased to have been able to secure his services."

Cifuentes has spent almost a decade in management and coached in the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

At the start of November chairman Amit Bhatia stepped down after five years in the role. Bhatia, who arrived as vice-chairman in 2007, will remain on the board with CEO Lee Hoos assuming the chairman role alongside his current duties. "The decision has been made with a very heavy heart [but] with the best interests of the club in mind," said Bhatia.

Ilias Chair won’t feature, he is serving a suspension following his fifth booking last time out.

Pubs

Belushi’s 13 - 15 Shepherd's Bush Green, W12 8PH The pub is near Shepherd's Bush tube station and a 20-minute walk from the stadium.

The Central Bar, Unit 1, West 12 Shopping Centre, Shepherds Bush Green, W12 8PH, https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/london/the-central-bar-shepherds-bush (Spoons)

The Sindercombe Social, 2 Goldhawk Road, White City, W12 8QD, https://www.thesindercombesocial.co.uk/#/

The answer: Rodney Marsh 

Let’s go into the international break with an away win COYR! Wherever you are supporting the City from be loud and proud.

IMG_4295.jpeg

IMG_4330.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Robin 1
28 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Bit about Mehmeti in the Post, may get a game tomorrow ?

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/liam-manning-transfer-bristol-city-8896998

For me Mehmeti's best position may prove to be as the ACM, rather than stuck out on the left. He controls the ball well, and turns neatly, has an eye for a pass. Probably just needs to improve to do more defensive work when he has not got the ball. Maybe the new coaches can improve him. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

For me Mehmeti's best position may prove to be as the ACM, rather than stuck out on the left. He controls the ball well, and turns neatly, has an eye for a pass. Probably just needs to improve to do more defensive work when he has not got the ball. Maybe the new coaches can improve him. 

That's a positive of change. Maybe him and Cornick can feature in a way that shows their strengths. (Same with Andi W - he can still be a great attacking asset.)

I'm not necessarily expecting very much to change tomorrow, but we might get some indication of what's in store from the new coaching team.

Looking forward to it. Thank as always @Jerseybean for the preview.

44 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

That's a positive of change. Maybe him and Cornick can feature in a way that shows their strengths. (Same with Andi W - he can still be a great attacking asset.)

I'm not necessarily expecting very much to change tomorrow, but we might get some indication of what's in store from the new coaching team.

Looking forward to it. Thank as always @Jerseybean for the preview.

Yeah - agree with this. A new manager is inevitably going to mean more games for some who were out of favour and less games for some others. The system Pearson favoured since January didn't get the best out of Weimann or Wells - which is no criticism of Pearson as no system is going to get the best out of every player - and we've yet see what the best of Mehemti may look like so it makes sense they stand to gain more than most.

Manning's obviously getting to know the squad and there's a limit to how many changes a manager can make with so many injuries. We could see three at the back but I imagine he may go for the more pragmatic approach of keeping the set-up loosely the same until he's got to know the team a little bit more.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I hadn’t realised we’d won 5 in a row there, even though I was at a few of them.

There and Stoke really are happy hunting grounds, long May it continue. 

In the league, we’ve drawn a cup game (& lost on penalties) 4 games back.

Interested to see Manning’s first selection & subs, not loads of options but the first indication as to whether anyone from the 21s is back in contention & if he’s going to tweak the starting lineup.

Can’t see the team being much (if at all) different from the last one.

Edited by GrahamC
Just now, GrahamC said:

Interested to see Manning’s first selection & subs, not loads of options but the first indication as to whether anyone from the 21s is back in contention & whether he’s going to tweak the starting lineup.

Bell selected for the England U20s, first game next Thursday so assume he's not available tomorrow ?

If not, Mehmeti on the left I would think - Manning thinks a lot of him.

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Bell selected for the England U20s, first game next Thursday so assume he's not available tomorrow ?

If not, Mehmeti on the left I would think - Manning thinks a lot of him.

Edit - got me dates mixed up, obviously he'll be ok for tomorrow. Still think Mehmeti has a chance though. Having a mare today...

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Interested to see Manning’s first selection & subs, not loads of options but the first indication as to whether anyone from the 21s is back in contention & if he’s going to tweak the starting lineup.

Yes I think the cup game was Massengo’s debut.

I was thinking of putting a bob or two on Mehmeti scoring, not just the new manager thing but I think Nige was beginning to look to him for a bigger role in the coming months.

6 minutes ago, One Team said:

Win, lose or draw I don’t think we can say it’s on Manning, it’s all about the players really. 

I certainly don't think we can hold Manning responsible but I do think, if we don't win, it would lead to valid questions about changing manager before two very winnable fixtures rather than - if it had to be done at all - waiting until the international break. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Even that cup draw was more down to the referee than QPR if I remember right. 
And talking of which……Geoff Eltringham tomorrow 🥲

44 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Even that cup draw was more down to the referee than QPR if I remember right. 
And talking of which……Geoff Eltringham tomorrow 🥲

Was discussing him yesterday, he is absolutely one of the worst.

QPR fans think he’s shite, too.