IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers away match thread

12 hours ago, Cristored said:

Because it’s the most basic building block of a side, without it you are stuffed and I’m assuming LM etc need to have confidence in the structure their way, didnt he say in interview done very little with the ball and it’s mostly been shape.

Wouldn’t we be better off focusing on what we do when we have the ball? Conceding goals hasn’t been our problem, neither is winning the ball back. I want to see us better with the ball, more importantly, in the final third whether that be quality or the right decision. 

Much hysteria on here regarding performance, what did we expect a free scoring passing game In truth it was a Pearson copy and paste game, at least the new coach can see just how bereft we are in attacking options, because this is the problem, defence is fine, in fact it's better than that it's promotion quality. 

Hopefully with the return of Wells TC will benefit, there is the talent already in the squad to score more he just has to unlock it. But with a 16 16 gd  there are real signs that there is plenty to work with, and although not exciting at least we no longer ship goals for fun. Poor teams , very poor teams do, we don't.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, redkev said:

Who ever the coach is there are having there work cut out to make this a more creative team we just haven’t got the players ( think even pep would struggle ) we knew Scott was going but we as a club ( Nige ) included have not gone out and got that type of player I think we all knew this would happen . Our injuries obviously haven’t helped but lack of creativity is also making our forward thinking players suffer . 

We didn’t have the budget to bring in that player.  I guess we could’ve not signed Knight and brought in the creative type???

19 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Much hysteria on here regarding performance, what did we expect a free scoring passing game In truth it was a Pearson copy and paste game, at least the new coach can see just how bereft we are in attacking options, because this is the problem, defence is fine, in fact it's better than that it's promotion quality. 

Hopefully with the return of Wells TC will benefit, there is the talent already in the squad to score more he just has to unlock it. But with a 16 16 gd  there are real signs that there is plenty to work with, and although not exciting at least we no longer ship goals for fun. Poor teams , very poor teams do, we don't.

I'm not sure whether our back four is "promotion quality" although it's not something to argue over and is undeniably far better now than it was when Nige took over. Interestingly, without labouring the point, good Managers when they inherit a shit show build from the back first then move up the team. It's old fashioned but it ******* works!!! Imagine an experienced Manager (some with "Red" at the end of their user name might use the term dinosaur instead) building a side that at the point of sacking has a far more reliable back four but is lacking up the top end.

Anyone would be forgiven for thinking Nige was building a side from back to front!! All Crayon Boy and Snakey had to say was that the progress was too slow for their liking - many of us would still have disagreed but it would have showed a lot more honesty as opposed to the now mandatory Bristol Sport style bullshit.

The positive thing though is that Liam Manning can only benefit from the situation he has inherited on the playing side - if he knows he can rely on his back line (and his often criticised Keeper over the last few games) to keep us in games this means he gets to do the sexy bit which is get the front end playing. Like I said in a previous post I think Manning might not think this is such the job that one or two panicking posters yesterday were banging on about and, if he performs, has has to deliver after all, he might look back in hindsight and think he made a good choice coming here.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 5
11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Anyone would be forgiven for thinking Nige was building a side from back to front!! All Crayon Boy and Snakey had to say was that the progress was too slow for their liking - many of us would still have disagreed but it would have showed a lot more honesty as opposed to the now mandatory Bristol Sport style bullshit.

It really was as simple as that No1.

Re sorting out the “sexy bit” you may be right.  In Vyner, Dickie and Naismith, Atkinson too we have CBs who have ability on the ball through passing and dribbling to get ball the the “sexy 6”.  Pring has been very hit and miss this season which isn’t helping.

The funny thing is I quite liked the look of TGH and Knight with Mehmeti in the hole at Cardiff.  It shouldn’t need ripping up.  Not suggesting we discard Matty James either.  We have options. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

It really was as simple as that No1.

Re sorting out the “sexy bit” you may be right.  In Vyner, Dickie and Naismith, Atkinson too we have CBs who have ability on the ball through passing and dribbling to get ball the the “sexy 6”.  Pring has been very hit and miss this season which isn’t helping.

The funny thing is I quite liked the look of TGH and Knight with Mehmeti in the hole at Cardiff.  It shouldn’t need ripping up.  Not suggesting we discard Matty James either.  We have options. 

Pring was a funny one for me yesterday.
Allowing for the fact it was a "day out" and perceptions may have been hampered by drink ..
He seemed to play a little higher but not really use the space in front of him. There were times there seemed acres of space to run into that he never used. That pairing with Mehmeti has never worked so that may have something to do with it, but it looked like opportunities missed. Tanner the other side looked a little bit unsure too, not sure if this is Manning's tactics or not, Tanner & Pring have looked unsure at times this season. 

18 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

Just said exact same thing in another thread.

Oh yeah :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Did you not go to Reading last season?

That was horrific, but worth remembering Reading were top 6 at the time and had momentum. 

Yesterday was a lot worse, in any way you want to cut it. The final 10 minutes of us actually looking like we wanted to score saved it from being one of the worst games I’ve ever watched live, from both sides. 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, petehinton said:

That was horrific, but worth remembering Reading were top 6 at the time and had momentum. 

Yesterday was a lot worse, in any way you want to cut it. The final 10 minutes of us actually looking like we wanted to score saved it from being one of the worst games I’ve ever watched live, from both sides. 

Their managers first game as well.

All this “ when we played them they were top half” or “we played them in the first month of the season” doesn’t matter.

the championship is known for having a handful of teams you know are going to be up there and the rest of bar another 2-3 are scrapping it out for a mere chance of playoff hopes.

having been to most games in the last 3 years, we’ve been competitive in most. Yeah yesterday was bad, but not even in the discussion for the worst. Let’s stop overreacting for the sake of it.

Edited by UncleRed
  • Like 1

What I think made yesterday worse was there only 2 shots on target (both ours) and didn't really trouble the keeper , and part from that it was completely forgettable . Nothing much of note happened , no excitement and our support were as quiet as I've heard at an away game for some time. Just never got going. 
It was so bad I nipped out for a P and a Pie during a break in play, and I never go out during the game.

Living is Sussex/Surrey, London games are technically 'home-away' games for me, so I ventured to Loftus Road with my son (10) for his first ever 'City away' match.

The things from the game which struck a chord with me:

1. Surrounded by 2500 other city fans who were virtually silent. A few people tried to get singing going, but nothing really of any note of length. Even through the darkest days of SOD etc, I always recall our away following up for singing, regardless. Yesterday was very sad to experience, and then from what I saw on the pitch, it's little wonder. I can't blame anyone, mainly people (from what I heard) baffled and angry by Pearson's exit, and unconvinced about Manning's appointment. Even basic things such as "Red Army" wouldn't get going.

2. We get the ball, and..... nothing. No movement (apart from Sykes in the second half) from any player, just static like somebody had hammered their feet into the ground with pegs. We don't push out from our box, and when we get the ball on the 18yd edge, the player with the ball looks up to see nobody, literally nobody, available or making themselves available. The amount of times it ended up back with Max after he had distributed it out 3-4 touches earlier, was literally soul-destroying.

3. On no less than 4 separate occasions in the first 60mins we had three players swarming/chasing after the ball (with 1 QPR player) like 6yr Saturday football practice.

4. I met up with my friend (and his son (7)) in the Adelaide pub afterwards. He's a QPR season ticket holder, and he said that it's the first time in a long time he's seen the away end so full, yet so quiet. He was very happy with the point because he went into the game convinced they were going to lose. He said it's the best they have played all season, but also conceded they were still shite and apart from Wednesday they're easily the worst in the league (although we pushed that thought of his by some margin!).

5. I think we are in a very sorry state on and off the pitch. The next few games are going to test loyalties from the fans after what many seemingly think is betrayal from the board. On the pitch, IMO if Manning turns it around, then he deserves all the credit because what I saw was a set of players playing outside their comfort zone, without the support of better plays to push and drive.

Make no mistake, QPR were dog-shit, and if it had been any other team I'm pretty sure we'd have taken a battering and it would have probably been more than over after the first 45mins.

Credit where credit is due though, the players did battle and that little flurry in the final 20mins came out of nowhere, and was welcome to see, but in reality it was never going anywhere as there was nobody there to finish or be in a position to connect.

When I was walking back to White City tube after the pint in the Adelaide after the game, the players were coming out, so me and my boy stopped to see if he could see any. Zak and Tommy appeared but didn't get into the coach and instead went off on their own looking for a Taxi. Both were good enough to stop and have a picture with my boy when he asked them, and they both smiled with him which made his day... but sadly they seemed deflated, detached and didn't really want to entertain any chat about the game etc. 

A tough day all round IMO, and I do genuinly fear there is worse to come.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, UncleRed said:

All this “ when we played them they were top half” or “we played them in the first month of the season” doesn’t matter.

the championship is known for having a handful of teams you know are going to be up there and the rest of bar another 2-3 are scrapping it out for a mere chance of playoff hopes.

having been to most games in the last 3 years, we’ve been competitive in most. Yeah yesterday was bad, but not even in the discussion for the worst. Let’s stop overreacting for the sake of it.

Agreed, if Nige was in charge yesterday the reaction would have been , ! Not great but last year we would have lost that , clean sheet at least , point on the road blah blah blah ! Think people are using yesterday’s performance to beat with a stick the new manager / owners , let’s give it until at least Xmas at the earliest 

• Like 2
Just now, redkev said:

Agreed, if Nige was in charge yesterday the reaction would have been , ! Not great but last year we would have lost that , clean sheet at least , point on the road blah blah blah ! Think people are using yesterday’s performance to beat with a stick the new manager / owners , let’s give it until at least Xmas at the earliest 

I know Kev, was always going to be like this wasn’t it. People comparing LM first game after three days, to NP second half of his stint with us, totally different parameters and logic. Patience is needed I think.

1 minute ago, UncleRed said:

I know Kev, was always going to be like this wasn’t it. People comparing LM first game after three days, to NP second half of his stint with us, totally different parameters and logic. Patience is needed I think.

My biggest fear are the players not buying into what manning brings to the table , they did all appear to have a good relationship with Nige .

manning looks like a totally different character 

2 minutes ago, redkev said:

My biggest fear are the players not buying into what manning brings to the table , they did all appear to have a good relationship with Nige .

manning looks like a totally different character 

Yeah I see what you’re saying Kev, there is always that danger. But I think the squad is filled with good professionals, and good people for that matter, to get behind LM and Chris Hogg. I hope anyway. As we all should.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, redkev said:

Anyone using yesterday to justify either side of the argument is just reaching for / pushing their agenda.

It was a good defensive performance, regardless of manager.  That’s about it bar a flurry in the last 15 mins.

We will start to get a feel after 6 games (3 home / 3 away), but it won’t be conclusive whatever happens, whether that be good or bad.

We just need to sit tight and watch.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, UncleRed said:

Second game, if you want to be pedantic. I disagree on the second point too, of course it absolutely matters when you play them! We’re probably a bit fortunate to have played Preston when we did, and unfortunate to have played Birmingham when we did. Cardiff will have been fortunate to play us when they did, loads goes into the mixing pot. 

yesterday was certainly up there for the worst I’ve seen. Will it have been any better or worse under Pearson? Who knows, we’ll never know. Doesn’t mean fans can’t call it for what it was. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Second game, if you want to be pedantic. I disagree on the second point too, of course it absolutely matters when you play them! We’re probably a bit fortunate to have played Preston when we did, and unfortunate to have played Birmingham when we did. Cardiff will have been fortunate to play us when they did, loads goes into the mixing pot. 

yesterday was certainly up there for the worst I’ve seen. Will it have been any better or worse under Pearson? Who knows, we’ll never know. Doesn’t mean fans can’t call it for what it was. 

Second game sorry, so he’s had longer to work with his squad than LM, interesting.

of course it matters when you play them in singularities, if you talking about timings of squad availability and stuff like that, that’s pretty much a given. I meant in terms of the overall picture, whether someone had been successful or not and so on. Everything balances out over the course of a whole season. We were lucky when we played Plymouth they rested half their 11, was that mentioned on here then? I was busy getting BT coffee and cake.

And I think 99% of people on here have said how bad yesterday was, including me. That’s what a fan forums for. Calling it for what it was with regard to your supported team.

4 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

Second game sorry, so he’s had longer to work with his squad than LM, interesting.

of course it matters when you play them in singularities, if you talking about timings of squad availability and stuff like that, that’s pretty much a given. I meant in terms of the overall picture, whether someone had been successful or not and so on. Everything balances out over the course of a whole season. We were lucky when we played Plymouth they rested half their 11, was that mentioned on here then? I was busy getting BT coffee and cake.

And I think 99% of people on here have said how bad yesterday was, including me. That’s what a fan forums for. Calling it for what it was with regard to your supported team.

It was yeah, certain posters pretty much implied the win didn’t count because of it, but it was mentioned they brought on their big guns for the second half and still couldn’t score, but we did (again).  

How does Brian have his coffee? Milky with 4 sugars?

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

It was yeah, certain posters pretty much implied the win didn’t count because of it, but it was mentioned they brought on their big guns for the second half and still couldn’t score, but we did (again).  

How does Brian have his coffee? Milky with 4 sugars?

Fair enough, like I said I wasn’t on here then. But I think the game would of been different if they started full strength.

And r Bri has his coffee dependent on how the weekend went. I’m guessing after yesterday he’ll only have a couple of sugars.

• Robin 1
3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

100%.

I was only able to watch the first half and it was abysmal in terms of midfield and front three. Defence was ok apart from Vyner going back to his Hollywood long passes into touch and Tanner not getting into their half at all, forever turning and playing the ball back as he is prone to do when his confidence is low. Pring tried to get forward but it just wasn't happening for him. Dickie the pick of the team.

The static front three were just useless, nuff said.

Knight did ok and James did his thing trying to tick over possession (without moving us forward in the main), but where was Weimann - I'd like to know how many touches he had in the first 20 minutes, I'd guess at zero or thereabouts, he's been anonymous for a few games now. 

Stats of zero attempts at goal resulting in an xG of zero (not that I'm a fan of xG) with a healthy 47% possession tells the story really.

It was shocking - and nothing to do with LM or NP, that "performance" was all on the midfield and attack. The only saving grace I can think of was that we didn't resort to lumping the ball in the air to their CBs. 

• Like 1