IGNORED

Liam Manning first 5 games- hopes and expectations?

Mr Popodopolous

What kind of start does Manning need?  

252 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of start does Manning need..Pts wise

• 0-4
    • 5-8
    • 9 or above

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/23 at 15:00

31 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Nearer 1.75 I'd say this year on games left, per other thread.

If you're talking about finishing in the top 6 then I agree it's looking like a high bar this season and 21+(31*1.7) is 74 (rounded up), which would often be enough, but could well fall short this season.

Personally though I'd say if he achieves "standard comfortable" top 6 performance and returns - basically 1.7 per game - then for me that meets the expectations that have been set and buys him a ticket for 2024/25. But that's just my personal interpretation of the expectations.

And this is limiting the discussion to points only, which isn't really how he should be judged of course, but it's the language the Club have used so let's entertain it for conversation's sake!

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

That’s what I’m looking for too.

I’m hoping Manning can add something to Mehmeti’s game to make him flourish. There is something there.

And get Bell back to his best!

Interestingly sounds like he was planning to try and get him on loan for Oxford in January. - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/liam-manning-transfer-bristol-city-8896998

• Like 1

Really there shouldn't be any 'pressure' on manner as such in the first few games but it's naive to think pressure won't mount considerably quickly if we don't get off to a good start. That has nothing to do with Manning and everything to do with the situation the owners have put him in IMO.

I think for everyones sake 5-8 points would be a decent return and anything more would be a bonus, really hoping we do as i cannot stand this club and going down to Ashton Gate when the atmosphere is toxic..

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 2

After tomorrow we will have played the top three (LLL) and the bottom three (WWW I hope) so ultimately at best Pearson lost his job simply due to the timing of fixtures.

Then after the break we play a load of generally midtable teams until Christmas which will make or break our season and I expect Manning to win more than he loses to go someway to justifying the change

• Like 1

This is weird isn’t it? I’m not sure we’ve ever been in this position before or are likely to be again. 

A new manager has come in when the reality is we didn’t need one. The team were playing fine. They were playing for the manager and we were all reasonably happy. It’s always the case that we’ve been playing on the poor side when a new manager comes in, so there really isn’t a new manager bounce for us to hope for as there normally is.  So realistically what am I to want? I don’t know. Do I realistically think LM can come in and step us up a gear or two? I’m not sure that’s possible… I just hope he does well but I am very very worried… and if you’re wondering why… just see Birmingham*

*NB I realise that there are a 101 reasons why we’re not comparable with B’ham, mainly because Manning appears to be there on merit, but the changing managers when you don’t need to us such a massive gamble. 

edit: to answer the question, I’m going to say I’ll be really disappointed with fewer than 7. 

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 5

I liked Nige and thought he did a number of positive things during his time in charge but i have to be honest and admit that i wasn't as devastated by his departure as the majority of our fanbase were.

I'm hoping Manning can get us playing a more fluid posession based game. Nige certainly made us organised but i was never convinced by us from an attacking perspective.

I appreciate that its difficult to find the perfect balance between defence and attack but ultimately i'd like to be entertained when i watch us play.

Manning deserves time to implement his style on the squad and i'm excited to see what he can do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

This is weird isn’t it? I’m not sure we’ve ever been in this position before or are likely to be again. 

A new manager has come in when the reality is we didn’t need one. The team were playing fine. They were playing for the manager and we were all reasonably happy. It’s always the case that we’ve been playing on the poor side when a new manager comes in, so there really isn’t a new manager bounce for us to hope for as there normally is.  So realistically what am I to want? I don’t know. Do I realistically think LM can come in and step us up a gear or two? I’m not sure that’s possible… I just hope he does well but I am very very worried… and if you’re wondering why… just see Birmingham*

*NB I realise that there are a 101 reasons why we’re not comparable with B’ham, mainly because Manning appears to be there on merit, but the changing managers when you don’t need to us such a massive gamble. 

edit: to answer the question, I’m going to say I’ll be really disappointed with fewer than 7. 

I think we were “doing fine” in the grand scheme of things, but It had been a pretty poor run up to his sacking (mitigating circumstances granted).

Even the more recent wins had not been good performances. For me, the second half against Ipswich and perhaps the Stoke game are the only decent “performances” in the last 7 or 8 games - and we lost both!

I think Pearson had us pretty much exactly where we should be with the resources he had available, and I really struggle to see how anyone is going to improve that without a fair bit of investment.…..so I suppose my expectations of Manning are pretty low, and I’m a bit worried he’s on a hiding to nothing!!!

• Like 1

Pearson was fired because we were not challenging (5 points off the play offs with a dozen first teamers injured) 

Manning was brought in to “correct” that. If Manning doesn’t get a really good start everyone at the club is going to get twitchy. Manning needs a minimum of nine for JL excuses to look in anyway credible so I’m hoping for ten and above. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Pearson was fired because we were not challenging (5 points off the play offs with a dozen first teamers injured) 

Manning was brought in to “correct” that. If Manning doesn’t get a really good start everyone at the club is going to get twitchy. Manning needs a minimum of nine for JL excuses to look in anyway credible so I’m hoping for ten and above. 

Yes totally agree on this. The hierarchy have a bit resting on this appointment, if it does wrong or we go sharply backwards..their credibility could plummet.

I was thinking 8 but 9 also seems reasonable.

16 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Im expecting front-foot, fast-paced exciting football that is played on 'the grass' and takes us into the top 6. 

Indeed, and the erstwhile invisible and mute men at the top doing Ashton/Swiss Tony runs dow the touchline, fists a pumping and high fiving all and sundry. The odd interview as well, as the glory story unfolds.

Edited by The Original OTIB

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

If you're talking about finishing in the top 6 then I agree it's looking like a high bar this season and 21+(31*1.7) is 74 (rounded up), which would often be enough, but could well fall short this season.

Personally though I'd say if he achieves "standard comfortable" top 6 performance and returns - basically 1.7 per game - then for me that meets the expectations that have been set and buys him a ticket for 2024/25. But that's just my personal interpretation of the expectations.

And this is limiting the discussion to points only, which isn't really how he should be judged of course, but it's the language the Club have used so let's entertain it for conversation's sake!

The remit has come from on high. Until they change their mind again, of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ciderwood said:

Can't compare to NP our team is different so are the others who knows Answer is nobody ! All we can hope for is a steady improvement and the fans to give him a fair crack

LM will he inheriting a solid base, hopefully coming through the worst of the injuries.

He my have a different style but if we are slow, at point does acceptable transition morph into concern at stalling or regression, for you?

• Admin
5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hi one for a mod.

Is it possible to add in 9 to my poll retrospectively? I botched one part of it.

I edited 10 and above to say 9 and above. And then voted for that. Top 6 squad, international break giving our new coach time to get his ideas across, returning players before the 5 games are up, I reckon W3 D1 L1

• Robin 1

20 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I edited 10 and above to say 9 and above. And then voted for that. Top 6 squad, international break giving our new coach time to get his ideas across, returning players before the 5 games are up, I reckon W3 D1 L1

Cheers for that Ian- and yes 9 or above, let's be ambitious.

Let's be positive.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

My concern is that it seems the players are not going to be given any time off over the international break and they will instead work on the tactical stuff etc. 

That's fine but after the resumption of the league it's then a relentless schedule until the next international break in March. Lots of Saturday-midweek games. They may well have had 9 days off at the last break but now they will be going Oct-March without a break and no guarantee of them being given one at the next international break either.

But this is an instruction from above so if our small squad begins to pick up injuries in that long period, they have to take responsibility for that.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My concern is that it seems the players are not going to be given any time off over the international break and they will instead work on the tactical stuff etc. 

Knight, Sykes, Conway, Bell all gonna be missing.  Has Mehmeti been called up, I haven’t seen?

Plus the injured players - King, Wells, Williams, McCrorie, Roberts, is gonna make tactical detailing pretty difficult  you’d imagine.