IGNORED

Liam Manning first 5 games- hopes and expectations?

Mr Popodopolous

What kind of start does Manning need?  

252 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of start does Manning need..Pts wise

• 0-4
    • 5-8
    • 9 or above

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/23 at 15:00

1 hour ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

Knight, Sykes, Conway, Bell all gonna be missing.  Has Mehmeti been called up, I haven’t seen?

Plus the injured players - King, Wells, Williams, McCrorie, Roberts, is gonna make tactical detailing pretty difficult  you’d imagine.

Forget working on tactics during the international break….just hope he’s done his research and doesn’t give the remaining players any time off……

9 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Pearson was fired because we were not challenging (5 points off the play offs with a dozen first teamers injured) 

Manning was brought in to “correct” that. If Manning doesn’t get a really good start everyone at the club is going to get twitchy. Manning needs a minimum of nine for JL excuses to look in anyway credible so I’m hoping for ten and above. 

Exactly this. 

The club lead us to believe he has more of a fit squad than Nige had, and this squad “is the best in my time here” according to JL.

The board expect promotion and we need to up our PPG to do that, so I expect to beat QPR, Huddersfield and Norwich, and gain a point from the other two games. A minimum of 10 from 15. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Really there shouldn't be any 'pressure' on manner as such in the first few games but it's naive to think pressure won't mount considerably quickly if we don't get off to a good start. That has nothing to do with Manning and everything to do with the situation the owners have put him in IMO.

I think for everyones sake 5-8 points would be a decent return and anything more would be a bonus, really hoping we do as i cannot stand this club and going down to Ashton Gate when the atmosphere is toxic..

There is lots of pressure on Manning but not because of the fans. It comes from the comments our board have made over the last couple of weeks. Manning has a squad capable of promotion according to them, and was the man identified by them to take us to the next level. Any level of expectation has been set well and truly by the board.

Edited by formerly known as ivan
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

There is lots of pressure on Manning but not because of the fans. It comes from the comments our board have made over the last couple of weeks. Manning has a squad capable of promotion according to them, and was the man identified by them to take us to the next level. Any level of expectation has been set well and truly by the board.

Agee, agree, agree.

I do think there is pressure on Manning because you don’t often get to take over a team like Bristol City in a healthy position.  It’s a bit like Rooney, coming in to Brum in a top half position, with the fans happy with Eustace.  It’s a different pressure coming into a struggling side where the mantra is often “make them hard to beat”, “sort the defence out”, etc.  with City / Manning it’s more try to turn more of those draws into wins, score a few more goals, play a bit more attractive football which is very different isn’t it.

I do laugh when I hear a certain podcast contributor prattle on along the line of criticising Nige for not improving us / results by focusing on wins, ie he’s not improved us because he’s only won 15 games each season.

20/21 W15 D6 L25 P51 GD -22 (part Holden)

21/22 W15 D10 L21 P55 GD -15

22/23 W15 D14 L17 P59 GD -1

It’s clear he has, and very selective to pick on a single thing to form your agenda.  You can certainly argue whether progress was quick enough.

And if we do pick up under Manning this season, it’s perfectly fine to praise Manning and also praise Nige for handing over the club in a good position.  We don’t have to make it so “good v evil”.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

4 points, 4 games, 4 goals scored, 5 conceded - all of which in the second half. 

About as ‘meh’ as can be

About as some destroying as can be.

What ever Manning is doing at half time clearly is having a negative affect on everything.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

If a coach being ‘on the grass’ produces football this ******* dull, give me back the bloke with the bad back who sat in his office at the training ground.

Said at the time, their rhetoric of ‘young, progressive, on the grass coach’ that they doubled down on made no sense to them. They kept harping on about it in every PR push, but they seem to forget that fans literally couldn’t care less about that. It’s not as if we’re there training with them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Said at the time, their rhetoric of ‘young, progressive, on the grass coach’ that they doubled down on made no sense to them. They kept harping on about it in every PR push, but they seem to forget that fans literally couldn’t care less about that. It’s not as if we’re there training with them. 

exactly! I would expect our technical director/CEO/DoF to know though…

29 minutes ago, petehinton said:

4 points, 4 games, 4 goals scored, 5 conceded - all of which in the second half. 

About as ‘meh’ as can be

Indeed.

To add when I say 'par' I mean within the minimum expectation and scraping in there of 5 pts, par set against last season would be 7 points from these 4, 8 from 5.

A win would also see us on 'par' of 1.4 PPG. Anything else is less.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 from 5.

Just about acceptable albeit we got 6 from the prior 5 albeit Idk how to classify the Sheffield Wednesday win.

Injuries dropping a bit set against NP and his final 4 games.

Just about scraped to the lowest part of the acceptable return.

We got 8 from the corresponding fixtures last year, GD+2.

5 and -1 this time around.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

5 from 5.

Just about acceptable albeit we got 6 from the prior 5 albeit Idk how to classify the Sheffield Wednesday win.

Injuries dropping a bit set against NP and his final 4 games.

Just about scraped to the lowest part of the acceptable return.

We got 8 from the corresponding fixtures last year, GD+2.

5 and -1 this time around.

Haha when I pointed out we had more from Pearson’s last 5 games you gave me a face palm! 

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Thought I saw somewhere that Liam Manning was featured on football focus,although I can't now find the posting.

Was on at around 12:45/12:50, so if you find FF on BBC iplayer and fast-forward to around the 45/50 min mark, you should find it.

12 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Haha when I pointed out we had more from Pearson’s last 5 games you gave me a face palm! 

Because let's be honest here. You wasn't doing it to point out that it was a positive Nige got 1 more point. 

You were doing it to say "well Nige only got 1 point more than Manning" 

Once it was pointed out to you about who we played and the injuries you suddenly changed tact and tried to frame it as a positive. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Because let's be honest here. You wasn't doing it to point out that it was a positive Nige got 1 more point. 

You were doing it to say "well Nige only got 1 point more than Manning" 

Once it was pointed out to you about who we played and the injuries you suddenly changed tact and tried to frame it as a positive. 

Incorrect but good try. Manning was bought in to improve us and get us into the play offs and so far he hasn’t.  Amazing you are actually trying to tell me what I meant! 

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

A five game comparison with no context or nuances proves absolutely nothing at this stage.

Another 5 games will give a much better idea of how LM is doing.

Personally I can’t see us winning another  game until the New Year, the next 6 matches including Millwall on New Years Day are not going to be easy. Still we’ll be all set for League One, with League One budget and League One manager, I guess the only positive is that we’ll get at least one Sky TV fixture against the Gas.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's not relegation form though.

Over an entire season 1 point per game is "Just about staying up" form.

Yeah it isn't quite relegation form. If unlucky it can see a side go down but generally just about surviving as you say.

I remember one year sides with 50 points went down, 2013 iirc.

Blackburn also went down on 51 in 2017, it varies and sides gaining points deductions complicate it further.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Next 5 games.

Blackburn (A)

Sunderland (H)

Hull (H)

Watford (A)

Birmingham (A)

The 5 before the January window. How many might we be looking at, how many should we be looking at?

I won't make another poll but if anyone else wants to. 🤷‍♂️

I hope we win them all.

• Like 1

We lost two out of those 5 maintaining the season average. However we drew 2 and won one whereas the season average is the other way around. So just below average has been achieved.

We were never going to get a new manager bounce because the old manager was doing alright as it was. By the same token there won’t be a honeymoon over period either!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I hope we win them all.

I'm sure we all hope that.

5 in 18 days, the most hectic phase of the most hectic period arguably.

Could set the tone for the rest of the season.

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We lost two out of those 5 maintaining the season average. However we drew 2 and won one whereas the season average is the other way around. So just below average has been achieved.

We were never going to get a new manager bounce because the old manager was doing alright as it was. By the same token there won’t be a honeymoon over period either!!

Yep, one more draw turned to win and we would've ticked along at the going rate at 1.4 PPG.

We would also have ticked along with the inherited 40% win ratio.

3 wins would get Manning back to par.

2 wins and 3 draws would still be one win less but back to level on the PPG trajectory.