IGNORED

Liam Manning first 5 games- hopes and expectations?

Mr Popodopolous

What kind of start does Manning need?  

252 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of start does Manning need..Pts wise

• 0-4
    • 5-8
    • 9 or above

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/23 at 15:00

3 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Why people go on about lm v np who cares!!! He has gone and if manning is crap he will be gone too!!! Pointless saying NP didn’t have this and NP didn’t have that yes we know but different manager now!!!! Why don’t we compare how much Pep spends at man city to Brian Horton 1995! Manning was hired for the long term it was the owners choice and their perogativ and re manning we will see in time. 

Sorry fans don't forget.

If Manning suddenly takes us on a great journey they will, if not..well.

Times match report summed up elements of it well.

I'll rephrase they will still remember the good base left and NP will get credit there but a great journey and it could be Nigel who at the same time.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Because Jon didn’t see him as a long term manager he had served his purpose which was stabilize club and now Jon wants his new man - stupid and unnecessary but reality that’s football like a medieval Tudor court deference to the king  

I think that’s a lot closer. 

Mr Pearson made a point at juniors expense three times. The rest is history 

However none of this has anything to do with Mr Manning. He will stand and fall on his own! If he stands and we get in the top ten/six then great. However I believe we were eleventh with players out when Mr Pearson was terminated. 

A cup run could save my and our season, but anything outside the top ten and it will all feel even more pointless (pun intended) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

However none of this has anything to do with Mr Manning. He will stand and fall on his own! If he stands and we get in the top ten/six then great. However I believe we were eleventh with players out when Mr Pearson was terminated. 

A cup run could save my and our season, but anything outside the top ten and it will all feel even more pointless (pun intended) 

Season is already over cos we ain’t going up or down 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sorry fans don't forget.

If Manning suddenly takes us on a great journey they will, if not..well.

Times match report summed up elements of it well.

0.5% of fans don’t forget if your all hot and bothered and het up about it then your minority most people aren’t that bothered!!! 

• Hmmm 2

Just now, ChrisJ said:

Season is already over cos we ain’t going up or down 

But we are still in the cup. So it isn’t quite. 

I’m always hopeful of something happening for us. At the moment I’m most hopeful that the bottom three remain crap and we can get to 50 points. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Agree here 100%. Our performance last week has put a good bit of credit in the bank for me but we really need to start performing better in the league. It’s awful to watch  a lot of the time atm.   10th was absolute minimum for me this season with Nige.  Arguably it should be higher for Manning given what our dip shit hierarchy have said, but forgetting that, as they are completely and utterly ******* clueless, 10th remains the absolute minimum for Manning also.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

But we are still in the cup. So it isn’t quite. 

I’m always hopeful of something happening for us. At the moment I’m most hopeful that the bottom three remain crap and we can get to 50 points. 

And yet again that’s where we are at. Hoping that there are 3 clubs/teams worse than us. Looking over our shoulders down the table. And yes a cup run would be great financially and for fans to see us play against Premier League trans, but in reality it’s just a distraction from real success, which remains promotion out of this league. That still seems a very long way off!

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

And yet again that’s where we are at. Hoping that there are 3 clubs/teams worse than us. Looking over our shoulders down the table. And yes a cup run would be great financially and for fans to see us play against Premier League trans, but in reality it’s just a distraction from real success, which remains promotion out of this league. That still seems a very long way off!

Don't worry about relegation, I'm really not IMO.

We shouldn't be near relegation given the solid base etc. Comfortable is what we should be.

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Exactly. 

55 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

No it makes perfect sense you just don’t agree with it. They want young upcoming manager to take us to next level they think Pearson has served his purpose so thank you and bye bye, that’s why I say footbal is brutal business. Not just us look at other champ clubs Plymouth Millwall Swansea us young managers all being employed, new era of management and bcfc know they might make short term losses for long term Gaines, will never go down in million years so despite what they say in public which is clearly bollocks. Manning needs his own players before being judged Pearson had his players now owners need to allow manning to have his

Which , in the last part of your post makes no sense. Not in what you wrote but in what they said at the time. They think THIS squad should be doing better . Pearson recruited to how he wanted to play . They’ve brought a new man in (not his fault) that wants to play completely different . After massively reducing the wage bill . So , they have two options really . Slowly churn the squad over a couple of years to get it how manning wants . Or, it’s a spending spree again , whilst hiking up the wage bill . The problem with option 1 is that they want to be competing this season . junior Lansdown is not the best at speaking publicly but he’s the face of the club now & he’s put a lot of pressure on himself .  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

Pointless looking at all these stats and figures we see it all the time new managers need TIME - look at Manning QPR Huddersfield Sheff Wed and Millwall they have all got a new manager - they have all won some draw some lost some. Same for every club in this league that isn’t one of the big beasts so tbh I think we wait until the summer and make judgement then.

I posted somewhere else today - time / longevity in role is not necessarily a correlation with improvement.  Some new managers gets worse with time.  Admittedly I don’t think anyone is suggesting we do a Brum / Rooney.

I think there is a recurring theme that says - give Manning time and we will progress.

It’s not based on anything though, is it?  It’s based on hope. It’s kinda what being a City fan is all about.

There is a very good reason for looking at stats and figures…it just depends on which ones you look at and high important each one is to you.  There are some themes coming out already, both +/-.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Just being a pedant, we were 15th when Nige got sacked after Cardiff (W5D3L6), but Flem got us to 11th after Wednesday (W6D3L6).

Manning took us over in 11th position and we’ve since dropped to 14th (W4D3L5)….thats what we are evaluating…12 league games (plus a cup game).  And I think it is fair to say that it includes a gradual returning of several players too,

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just being a pedant, we were 15th when Nige got sacked after Cardiff (W5D3L6), but Flem got us to 11th after Wednesday (W6D3L6).

Manning took us over in 11th position and we’ve since dropped to 14th (W4D3L5)….thats what we are evaluating…12 league games (plus a cup game).  And I think it is fair to say that it includes a gradual returning of several players too,

I dont think Pearsons dismissal was entirely football related Dave so comparisons are moot to a great extent although not unnaturally fans will end of season compare ppg and performance, and if things continue as per then the already rock bottom standing of the hierarchy will be cemented.

I think even the acceptance that Manning received an offer he couldnt refuse will dissapate if he continues to be out thought by his so called peers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

I dont think Pearsons dismissal was entirely football related Dave so comparisons are moot to a great extent although not unnaturally fans will end of season compare ppg and performance, and if things continue as per then the already rock bottom standing of the hierarchy will be cemented.

I think even the acceptance that Manning received an offer he couldnt refuse will dissapate if he continues to be out thought by his so called peers.

Yes I agree NF.

But I guess on that basis there is no reason to expect any regression / decline either then.  At the mo’ LM is just about holding onto “par”..

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yes I agree NF.

But I guess on that basis there is no reason to expect any regression / decline either then.  At the mo’ LM is just about holding onto “par”..

Agreed, so not an upgrade simply spite and petulance from the leadership and their grasping lapdog Sid.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

No it makes perfect sense you just don’t agree with it. They want young upcoming manager to take us to next level they think Pearson has served his purpose so thank you and bye bye, that’s why I say footbal is brutal business. Not just us look at other champ clubs Plymouth Millwall Swansea us young managers all being employed, new era of management and bcfc know they might make short term losses for long term Gaines, will never go down in million years so despite what they say in public which is clearly bollocks. Manning needs his own players before being judged Pearson had his players now owners need to allow manning to have his

Wow, won't go down in a million years. That's some faith. Could be in the Championship a long time as I can't see us getting promoted in a million years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

Pointless looking at all these stats and figures we see it all the time new managers need TIME - look at Manning QPR Huddersfield Sheff Wed and Millwall they have all got a new manager - they have all won some draw some lost some. Same for every club in this league that isn’t one of the big beasts so tbh I think we wait until the summer and make judgement then.

I think the point is whether there was any real need for change. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

Why people go on about lm v np who cares!!! He has gone and if manning is crap he will be gone too!!! Pointless saying NP didn’t have this and NP didn’t have that yes we know but different manager now!!!! Why don’t we compare how much Pep spends at man city to Brian Horton 1995! Manning was hired for the long term it was the owners choice and their perogativ and re manning we will see in time. 

I think on that basis why discuss anything. Why not sit back and accept what is. The point in comparison is it’s interesting to some of us. It’s actually about looking at this young upcoming manager and comparing him to what an old and tested manager and discussing whether their reasoning holds up so far. 

Of course it was the board’s prerogative, just as it’s ours, to say what we think about it. 

And similarly to others, this doesn’t mean I’m anti LM. I’d love him to succeed as I would any manager/head coach. 

Edited by JP Hampton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:.

I think there is a recurring theme that says - give Manning time and we will progress.

It’s not based on anything though, is it?  It’s based on hope. It’s kinda what being a City fan is all about.

Hit the nail on the head here Dave 👍

• Like 1

Pearson balanced the books and gave us stability . The football was pretty average but we had a way of playing and the players we had fitted the system . 
I think he was just a little maverick for the owners and called them out . I wasn’t surprised he got sacked . Manning wants to play a different way with players that don’t fit . I wouldn’t say the fan base is divided but I am shocked that some genuinely want him not succeed which means they want us to lose . The mind boggles . 
Not sure we are progressing yet but I think I see what the manager is trying to do. 
Only time will tell. 

Just returning to this thread. The Cup games did help with excitement and time among other things.

NP- 18 pts, 5 wins from 14.

LM- 23 pts, 6 wins from 18.

NP marginally ahead on PPG very marginally, and a couple of % ahead on win ratio.

The Fleming game was obviously 1 win 1 game, vs a Sheffield Wednesday who at that time still somewhat adrift and with a shocking away record and red card assisted.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous