IGNORED

County Cricket 2024 Season

phantom

• Admin
9 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I see Sky are showing Lancs v Kent from 11 today until the IPL game starts at 3. Hopefully the sign of things to come with more CC being shown live.

I possibly dreamt it but I'm sure I saw Somerset were being shown live soon 

• Thanks 1

That was very enjoyable, ideally it would have been a match played over at least 3 days but it’s far more enjoyable and productive than those 550 for 2 wickets. Loved every minute.

Unbeaten going into mid May and all to play for. 

Was at Friday, batters didn’t really look like they were struggling as such, the ball was just doing a little, was a bit slow scoring and you had the two best seam attacks in the country playing 

Edited by Lrrr

I see Pete Trego’s 16 year old son made his debut for Gloucestershire 2nds yesterday.

Coming on to bowl as their 5th bowler he took 5 for 16.

If he turns out to be a good’un, and I really hope he does, I’ll be a bit/very disappointed he plays for Gloucestershire. 

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Wow, 409 ,put in on a green'un............excellent stuff, might grift a draw !

I will be disappointed if we don't get our first win of the season here. We just need to avoid that "one bad session" that seems to dog us.

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

Get the **** in ! Forgotten what it felt like !

Watching all day on Northants TV, very good and fair comms. They said the finest spell of fast bowling seen for many a day here by de Lange .

Found his level i expect.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Get the **** in ! Forgotten what it felt like !

Watching all day on Northants TV, very good and fair comms. They said the finest spell of fast bowling seen for many a day here by de Lange .

I watched some of the Somerset coverage in the last couple of seasons and this match is the most accurate I have seen him bowl. For once he didn't look like a converted javelin thrower. 

Let's hope he can remain that consistent.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

What are peoples thoughts on this new plan to sell off pieces of the hundred franchises to save the wider game.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ecb-secures-counties-agreement-hundred-direction-of-travel-1433319

Whereas I can see some decent short term benefits for counties with a huge injection of cash I dont see how in the mid to long run it doesn't create a 2 tier system (one could argue it already exists ) where the hundred counties slowly but surely become the only show in town.

Counties like Glos are damned if they do, damned if they dont. Vote the changes through and in the long run they become 2nd class citizens. Dont vote it through and they potentially go busy. 

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

What are peoples thoughts on this new plan to sell off pieces of the hundred franchises to save the wider game.

Frankly, it is going to destroy county cricket and first class cricket in this country. At absolute best the counties will end up as some sort of essentially semi-pro feeder clubs that exist purely to develop players. 

If people think billionaires from India or the US are throwing cash at a money losing tournament in England just for a stake in ‘teams’ that play for four weeks in August they’re off their rocker. They are buying influence so that the tournament will grow and grow and cannibalise everything else. The argument that a handful of counties are in immediate danger (forgive me for being cynical but I’m 33 and I’ve heard this about counties my entire life and it’s never happened) and the cash will save them is so simplistic I have to believe it’s pure gaslighting. Fine, you’re saying that you’re saving yourselves today to make yourselves utterly irrelevant in five years. Jam today, death tomorrow.

But, to be honest, I think the game I love is in its last knockings anyway to be honest. We really can’t be far away from the billionaire IPL franchise owners contracting players on multi year contracts and the IPL going up to 20 teams and being played over 9 months. May get space here and there when they allow their players to go and play a World Cup.

I’ve long since accepted the way it’s going and now just try and enjoy what’s left of the cricket I love.

3 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Frankly, it is going to destroy county cricket and first class cricket in this country. At absolute best the counties will end up as some sort of essentially semi-pro feeder clubs that exist purely to develop players. 

If people think billionaires from India or the US are throwing cash at a money losing tournament in England just for a stake in ‘teams’ that play for four weeks in August they’re off their rocker. They are buying influence so that the tournament will grow and grow and cannibalise everything else. The argument that a handful of counties are in immediate danger (forgive me for being cynical but I’m 33 and I’ve heard this about counties my entire life and it’s never happened) and the cash will save them is so simplistic I have to believe it’s pure gaslighting. Fine, you’re saying that you’re saving yourselves today to make yourselves utterly irrelevant in five years. Jam today, death tomorrow.

But, to be honest, I think the game I love is in its last knockings anyway to be honest. We really can’t be far away from the billionaire IPL franchise owners contracting players on multi year contracts and the IPL going up to 20 teams and being played over 9 months. May get space here and there when they allow their players to go and play a World Cup.

I’ve long since accepted the way it’s going and now just try and enjoy what’s left of the cricket I love.

A sad but fault truthful post I fear. 

I just dont see how the non hundred  counties would ever really vote for it but maybe they have accepted their fate as well.

42 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

I just dont see how the non hundred  counties would ever really vote for it but maybe they have accepted their fate as well.

I don’t disagree, but some of us were making the exact same point 6/7 years ago when they initially voted through an eight team city based franchise tournament to take place in the middle of our summer.

Not quite turkeys voting for Christmas, but turkeys voting for Christmas in exchange for 1.3 milllion pounds a year.

Everything that has followed has been entirely predictable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Leicestershire put Glos into bat, they have just broken their opening partnership record Vs Leicestershire and Charlesworth his personal best in 1st class cricket. 

Well done captain. :)

Yeah ,but we've lost Charlesworth now...................were all doomed !

Well done lads :clap::clap:

• Like 2