IGNORED

County Cricket 2024 Season

phantom

• Admin

There really is something in the air in that part of Bristol that makes a sportsman spout absolute nonsense . . . 

🎣

TAKEN FROM: Mark Alleyne: Head coach says Gloucestershire 'good enough' to win promotion - BBC Sport

New Gloucestershire head coach Mark Alleyne believes it is a "realistic goal" to win promotion in the County Championship this season.

Alleyne, 55, is Gloucestershire's most decorated player and previously coached there from 2005 to 2007, before returning last month.

Gloucestershire finished bottom of Division Two last season after being relegated in 2021.

The club begin their 2024 campaign away to Derbyshire on 5 April.

"We're good enough as we are to be in the top two of eight in the Championship, that's a realistic goal to achieve in 2024," Alleyne told BBC Points West.

"I think quite naturally you'll see from the results - particularly the last two years - they're well below the standard that you would expect here. First and foremost we want to turn that around.

"But the players here are exciting, they're good, it's a nice blend. I think the mature, more experienced players aren't that old and we've got a good crop of young guys who have come in and made an impact.

"I think the group is ready to achieve and that will be the exciting part of the season."

After being relegated from Division One in 2022, Gloucestershire did not win a single County Championship match last season.

Yet Alleyne's return harks the club back to one of the most successful periods in their history.

The former all-rounder - who won 10 one-day caps for England - played in nearly 800 matches for the county and won nine trophies and a County Championship promotion during his 19-year playing career at the Shire.

"I'm really keen on raising expectations, even if we don't meet them we won't be far off, but performances should improve," Alleyne said.

"There's always be a reference point [to the past] but I've always looked forward."

'Never spiritually left'

While the County Championship is the first priority, managing performances when the T20 Blast begins later this summer will be more of a challenge, according to Alleyne.

Gloucestershire last reached the knockout stages in 2020.

"That is going to be a much tougher task admittedly, the group [southern] we are in is strong," Alleyne said.

"Look at last year and the four semi-finalists were all from this group - that is going to be a tough ask but one that we are looking forward to."

Alleyne was Glamorgan's white-ball coach last season and also coached the England Twenty20 side on their 2022 tour of the West Indies.

He said he did not feel he had ever "spiritually" left Gloucestershire and that the opportunity to return was a "really good fit" at this point in his career, with his children finishing full-time education last year.

"[For] my first go at this I was an experienced player, captain, but very young coach," he said. "Now I feel as though I've still got those attributes but I'm a more matured coach now with experience under my belt, so [in] a much, much better place to take this role on."

1 hour ago, Midred said:

Somerset 108 - 1 chasing 284.

….for a first innings lead and, hopefully, some useful batting points.

I’ve not really been following the match closely today - as ever, the live stream from Canterbury is pretty poor - but does anyone know why Somerset decided to bring in Goldsworthy ahead of Rew and Banton?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

….for a first innings lead and, hopefully, some useful batting points.

I’ve not really been following the match closely today - as ever, the live stream from Canterbury is pretty poor - but does anyone know why Somerset decided to bring in Goldsworthy ahead of Rew and Banton?

Or even Renshaw ahead of Lammonby?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Lammonby gone for 90, 217/3

Disappointing, as I was thinking only a few minutes ago that he looked in fine form and set for a big score, hopefully beating his FC career best 116.

Surprisingly (to my mind) Goldsworthy seems to be justifying his promotion.

I see that Tom Banton has come in ahead of James Rew, presumably with an eye on the forthcoming new ball?

Two wickets for Parkinson as well, who appears to be getting some reaction from the pitch.

I wonder whether Somerset might regret not picking Bashir instead of Ball.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Disappointing, as I was thinking only a few minutes ago that he looked in fine form and set for a big score, hopefully beating his FC career best 116.

Surprisingly (to my mind) Goldsworthy seems to be justifying his promotion.

I see that Tom Banton has come in ahead of James Rew, presumably with an eye on the forthcoming new ball?

He was. The Radio Kent comms were saying before tea he looked well set. I`d turned over to the LDV Final before he was out so don`t know what happened though.

Gloucestershire top of their league.

Make a note of it @slartibartfast, a collector's item and all that 😉.

County DIV2 2024 - Points Table

County Championship Division Two
TEAMS
M
W
L
T
D
N/R
PT
Series Form Next
1 1 0 0 0 0 1 8
A

vs YORKS, SUSS, MIDDX

2 1 0 0 0 0 1 8
A

vs GLAM, LEICS, YORKS

3 1* 0 0 0 0 0 5

vs DERBS, NHNTS, YORKS

4 1* 0 0 0 0 0 3

vs GLOUC, MIDDX, DERBS

5 1* 0 0 0 0 0 3

vs SUSS, DERBS, NHNTS

6 1* 0 0 0 0 0 3

vs NHNTS, YORKS, GLOUC

7 1* 0 0 0 0 0 2

vs MIDDX, GLAM, LEICS

8 1* 0 0 0 0 0 2

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/county-championship-division-two-2024-1410192/points-table-standings

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

1 hour ago, Midred said:

10 no balls in 15 overs, are we trying too hard?

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

up to 16 from 28 now

Very odd high number

No balls are 2 runs in the championship so there has only been half that amount.

Its still quite a lot, but Gregory always bowls a lot of them and it seems Leonard also struggles.

Agar for Kent was bowling quite a few yesterday as well so I don’t know if in this instance it’s partly due to the wind messing up bowlers in their run up.

• Thanks 1

• Admin
5 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

No balls are 2 runs in the championship so there has only been half that amount.

Its still quite a lot, but Gregory always bowls a lot of them and it seems Leonard also struggles.

Agar for Kent was bowling quite a few yesterday as well so I don’t know if in this instance it’s partly due to the wind messing up bowlers in their run up.

Ahh, I completely missed that - Thank you

Explains why Cricinfo was showing Nb2 - I couldn't work out what was going on there