IGNORED

County Cricket 2024 Season

phantom

Decent effort from Somerset today, could have easily folded early doors and lost that. Be good to get Abell and Umeed back and hopefully the bowlers get into more of a rhythm. Looking forward to the first day at Taunton on Friday.

Sad to see the passing of Deadly Derek Underwood. He was a huge presence in cricket when I started watching, very deadly on the uncovered wickets we had in those days 

• Like 1

You couldn’t make this up.

Competed really well over the vast majority of this game, utterly ridiculous hour on the first day losing 7/20 and then just throwing away three wickets today when Surrey had pretty much given up and were about ten minutes from shaking hands.

Kasey Aldridge is my new favourite Somerset player. I loved the look of his batting last year with his ever improving bowling he COULD make a genuine very good all rounder.

Of course we’ve seen many promise so much only to falter, Banton the latest, but atm I love the look of him

Genuine question, should teams be allowed to shake hands for the draw when Somerset and Surrey did? Chance of a result was much higher then the start of Surrey’s innings, should the umpire have the power to say it’s still light and we can see the game out? 

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Genuine question, should teams be allowed to shake hands for the draw when Somerset and Surrey did? Chance of a result was much higher then the start of Surrey’s innings, should the umpire have the power to say it’s still light and we can see the game out? 

If both teams are happy with the draw then there’s no issue is there ?  The start of Surrey’s innings, Surrey wouldn’t have shook 

37 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If both teams are happy with the draw then there’s no issue is there ?  The start of Surrey’s innings, Surrey wouldn’t have shook 

Should they be allowed to though? Teams can’t shake hands in football after 89 minutes because they’re happy with a point, there was game time left, should the whole time be played and whatever result come what may, would be annoyed as a spectator in the ground at that point 

37 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Should they be allowed to though? Teams can’t shake hands in football after 89 minutes because they’re happy with a point, there was game time left, should the whole time be played and whatever result come what may, would be annoyed as a spectator in the ground at that point 

Personally I’ve got no issue with it.  It’s not football so don’t think the comparison is there really.  I’m a traditionalist though!

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Personally I’ve got no issue with it.  It’s not football so don’t think the comparison is there really.  I’m a traditionalist though!

I think the annoyance partly comes from it being a round where every game was a draw, we had a game that could have seen a win but because both teams don't want to lose we miss out on what could have been an exciting finish.

26 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I think the annoyance partly comes from it being a round where every game was a draw, we had a game that could have seen a win but because both teams don't want to lose we miss out on what could have been an exciting finish.

I don’t think it was neither team wanted to lose.  It was neither team thought they could win from where the game was.