IGNORED

County Cricket 2024 Season

phantom

4 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Genuine question, should teams be allowed to shake hands for the draw when Somerset and Surrey did? Chance of a result was much higher then the start of Surrey’s innings, should the umpire have the power to say it’s still light and we can see the game out? 

Over the years there have been games that I’ve been surprised at when they’ve shaken hands.

Nowadays especially since T20 things can turn so quickly with someone hitting 20 off an over or 3 wickets falling in an over.

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I don’t think it was neither team wanted to lose.  It was neither team thought they could win from where the game was.  

I’m a little surprised we said no to be honest, if we didn’t think Surrey would win from the position we’d just taken 5 wickets in 5 overs, Lawrence was left but if you could have a go at the tail who knows what would have happened, we look like we were happy to just scarper with the draw points 

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Battle of the England spinners as Dom Bess and Jack Leach play in the 2nd XI match between Yorkshire and Somerset.

Michael Vaughan's son Archie is playing for Somerset. Meanwhile Flintoff's sons Rocky and Corey are playing for Lancs 2nds today.

I hadn’t realised both Flintoff’s sons played. 

• Admin
4 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Battle of the England spinners as Dom Bess and Jack Leach play in the 2nd XI match between Yorkshire and Somerset.

Michael Vaughan's son Archie is playing for Somerset. Meanwhile Flintoff's sons Rocky and Corey are playing for Lancs 2nds today.

Leach opened the batting for Somerset 

Scoring 24

• Admin

Answered my question during the match comms

Kookaburra is machine made, the Duke ball is man made

Completely different seam because of this

Kookaburra seam is 1/4 depth in comparison to the Duke making the ball feel smaller to a bowler 

Kookaburra doesn't shine as well, and doesn't swing as well

Kookaburra reverse swings better

Duke is a waxier material

Only England and West Indies use the Duke ball

Still unsure why they are using both though

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phantom said:

Answered my question during the match comms

Kookaburra is machine made, the Duke ball is man made

Completely different seam because of this

Kookaburra seam is 1/4 depth in comparison to the Duke making the ball feel smaller to a bowler 

Kookaburra doesn't shine as well, and doesn't swing as well

Kookaburra reverse swings better

Duke is a waxier material

Only England and West Indies use the Duke ball

Still unsure why they are using both though

Think it’s supposedly to get players used to playing against/bowling with a kookaburra before they reach the test team

On 16/04/2024 at 16:34, Northern Red said:

Saw some clips online Rocky’s pull shot looks just like his dad’s. Think the other rew brother was playing and reverse swept Bess very nicely 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Two absolutely brilliant days in the sun at Taunton, genuinely nothing better.

Agree, I don’t know why I enjoyed that more than I have for a long time. I was even wishing I lived in Taunton so I could easily pop in and out for every game this summer.

I’ve liked the look of this squad for a from the start and with the a bit of luck and the weather gods in our favour who knows where we could end up….. Second probably.

A real long batting line up with Abell still to return and if we can keep Aldridge and Overton fit, Leach and Bashir will also have a lot to do as the summer progresses.

Really looking forward to the summer ahead.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Two absolutely brilliant days in the sun at Taunton, genuinely nothing better.

I've found going to City a real challenge this season and after Cardiff(h) I decided that was enough and that I'd save the money for more trips to Taunton.

Yesterday was my first one of those and just sitting in the sunshine and listening to the hum of the cricket was great. I can't wait to do the same again in a couple of weeks.

Edited by StapleHillPhil
  • Like 3

• Admin

I'm a bit gutted as I was supposed to have been there Friday but work dictated I cancelled my leave 

Couldn't make any of the other days. 

Been a promising start to the season but Notts will be whipping boys this season, let's push on and get that elusive first title 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I'm a bit gutted as I was supposed to have been there Friday but work dictated I cancelled my leave 

Couldn't make any of the other days. 

Been a promising start to the season but Notts will be whipping boys this season, let's push on and get that elusive first title 

Roughly 5 years ago a couple of mates and I took a guided tour around Lords, including seeing the Ashes Urn. The long room, changing rooms et el. The guide, an older chap, picking up our accents was mildly amused when we told him that we’re from Somerset. 

‘good one day side’ he said ‘but they’ll never win the title. The pitches at Taunton are too tame and the powers that be don’t want a rustic County to ever win it’

That was alarming to hear. None of us were quite sure what he meant but he didn’t elaborate.

Like every Somerset supporter we all want the title but I wonder if it’ll ever happen.

10 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Agree, I don’t know why I enjoyed that more than I have for a long time. I was even wishing I lived in Taunton so I could easily pop in and out for every game this summer.

I’ve liked the look of this squad for a from the start and with the a bit of luck and the weather gods in our favour who knows where we could end up….. Second probably.

A real long batting line up with Abell still to return and if we can keep Aldridge and Overton fit, Leach and Bashir will also have a lot to do as the summer progresses.

Really looking forward to the summer ahead.

Oh and Richard Gould was there with his dog. I was wondering if Nige was there, he’s a big cricket fan and supports Notts I believe.

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Oh and Richard Gould was there with his dog. I was wondering if Nige was there, he’s a big cricket fan and supports Notts I believe.

He was certainly at the Notts game last summer, I think I saw he was on Sky for the Leicester game yesterday though.

• Like 2

I expected a backlash from Notts today but even so this isn’t going at all well.

Can’t for the life of me understand why we loan Ben Green out and spend our hard to come by cash on Pretorius.

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I expected a backlash from Notts today but even so this isn’t going at all well.

Can’t for the life of me understand why we loan Ben Green out and spend our hard to come by cash on Pretorius.

Whatever happened to having a registered  squad at the start of the season and playing every competion chosen from that squad all through til September? The idea that we in effect sign different players for different competions and loan players out/in for beginning or end of season is beyond me! How can a group of players settle together.

And I wasn't even going to mention the 💯... oh bugger!

3 minutes ago, Midred said:

Whatever happened to having a registered  squad at the start of the season and playing every competion chosen from that squad all through til September? The idea that we in effect sign different players for different competions and loan players out/in for beginning or end of season is beyond me! How can a group of players settle together.

And I wasn't even going to mention the 💯... oh bugger!

I know it’s difficult nowadays as overseas players are rarely available for the whole of our summer like they used to be. But once we couldn’t get Will Sutherland because of injury we shouldn’t have bothered, unless a real gem came up like Henry last season.

I’d be very surprised if Pretorius performs any better than Green would have. And the point is the club are in big cost cutting mode, no Brian Rose gates on the Morrisons side open during championship games. The majority of the Somerset stand, which offers good respite from the burning sun in the afternoons, closed.

Yet they spend thousands on bringing a player unlikely to better what we’ve got.

Anyway, besides that little moan things are generally looking good at the club, just give me a wicket to cheer me up this afternoon!

• Like 2