IGNORED

County Cricket 2024 Season

phantom

Somerset currently 540/1 with the ball since getting Hameed in the Notts game. Even with Overton back I do not see how this attack takes 20 wickets consistently. A fair old while since they’ve won a game without having Matt Henry.

When Leach is back fit I really hope they take the decision to try and play on spinning pitches at Taunton and use Leach and Bashir as this seam attack just isn’t going to win games.

10 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Somerset currently 540/1 with the ball since getting Hameed in the Notts game. Even with Overton back I do not see how this attack takes 20 wickets consistently. A fair old while since they’ve won a game without having Matt Henry.

When Leach is back fit I really hope they take the decision to try and play on spinning pitches at Taunton and use Leach and Bashir as this seam attack just isn’t going to win games.

Very worrying lack of fire power in our attack. I’m a big fan of Aldridge but feel this cold start to the season hasn’t helped him or Overton reach their best yet. Besides that we look very short in our pace attack

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Instead of playing April would it not make more sense to start later and run the season into late Sept early October The weather does seem drier that time of year

The final day of the championship this year is the 29th September, I’m not sure you could go much later, maybe a week?

How about have the 100 in April, the cold and wet doesn’t matter so much when the game is that short. And then we can play championship cricket in August.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Essex 8 down now

It looks as if a 12 point deduction will be on the way.

Oh Dear.

Now All Out for 156 = 20 points reduction.

Tbf as I said earlier you could barely see the track. With us at 15-2 now and 30 plus overs left this could be 15-18 wickets day one. I’d imagine it’ll be reported but it seemed obvious from the moment I put the stream on.

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tbf as I said earlier you could barely see the track. With us at 15-2 now and 30 plus overs left this could be 15-18 wickets day one. I’d imagine it’ll be reported but it seemed obvious from the moment I put the stream on.

From what I’ve been watching, albeit only periodically, I didn’t really see anything wrong with the pitch.

In fairness, we were asked to prepare pitches specifically to help our spin bowlers, but as neither Leach nor Bashir were selected, nor has a wicket yet fallen to spin, this argument might not count for much in the event of the pitch being reported 😉.

Umeed doesn’t appear to be too uncomfortable - he has now hit two sixes, both off fast bowlers.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

39 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I wouldn’t be betting against 20 wickets at this point to be honest.

Well that was enjoyable day at the cricket. After having two days play recently where only two wickets have fallen all day, which will kill the game if it happens too often, it was nice to see some wickets fall.

OK, a few too many today but I don’t think there’ll be any problems re the pitch. I was behind the bowlers arm and the ball was moving sideways through the air. Plus Cook and Porter are comfortably the best opening pair of bowlers in the country.

Hopefully the ball will continue to do things tomorrow until at least lunchtime then everything settles down for our chase.