IGNORED

County Cricket 2024 Season

phantom

• Admin
18 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Anyone else seriously doubt Graves offer was actually the best offer…?

I'm amazed after all the negativity that came from those hearings etc that he is allowed anywhere near the place again

19 hours ago, Super said:

Heard somebody mention Dean Elgar? No idea if any truth in it.

Looks like he’s going to Essex after they posted a cryptic message yesterday. A commentator suggested he was coming to us but then backtracked on it.

I guess we’ll find out in an hour but well done to the club for keeping it quiet, suggesting it’ll be a current player, Sean Dickson maybe?

8 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Looks like he’s going to Essex after they posted a cryptic message yesterday. A commentator suggested he was coming to us but then backtracked on it.

I guess we’ll find out in an hour but well done to the club for keeping it quiet, suggesting it’ll be a current player, Sean Dickson maybe?

That would make sense as they need a replacement for Cook.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Hope we've got a good vice captain sorted because there's no way Lewis is playing every game

Craig Overton is vice captain. Great cricketers and both with good cricketing brains.

Neither will be with us during the Hundred of course so that’ll need a new captain and vice chosen from the slim pickings that are left

9 hours ago, phantom said:

I'm amazed after all the negativity that came from those hearings etc that he is allowed anywhere near the place again

I'm expecting Headingley to come off the test ground list until the new season begins!

• Admin
21 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Tom Abell casually saving a few runs, scored 65 off 36 too on his  debut for Sunrisers in the South African T20 competition 

I'm confused by this because on social media comments were saying the six was given but I can't see why 

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm confused by this because on social media comments were saying the six was given but I can't see why 

Oh really? I’ve not seen anything else, looks a legit bit of fielding to me…..and the commentators 

• Admin

Interesting article on the BBC Sport website, is this the start of the end of the Hundred?

TAKEN FROM: ECB inviting counties to run top-tier women's sides from 2025 - BBC Sport

Up to £5m of extra yearly funding will be pumped into women's cricket as part of an overhaul of the domestic game.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) wants three tiers in the sport from 2025 onwards.

It has now invited applications to run professional sides, in a departure from the regional model introduced in 2020.

Since then eight centrally-funded teams have competed, but counties are being offered the chance to bid to take over and rebrand those teams from 2025.

As part of the plans the ECB has pledged to invest £4m to £5m per year into the women's professional game between 2025 and 2028, taking its annual investment to £16m.

Under the ECB scheme the existing eight regional teams will become tier one clubs, owned and run by one of the first-class counties or the MCC, and will compete in T20 and 50-over competitions.

The 18 counties and MCC have until March to submit their bids, with unsuccessful applicants and National Counties then invited to fill semi-professional and amateur slots in tiers two and three - a process expected to be complete by September ahead of the launch in 2025.

All three tiers will be closed with no promotion or relegation throughout the initial four season term.

The ECB says it wants to grow the depth and reach of the women's professional game.

"Since 2020, through the advent of the women's regional model, we have seen significant progress in the professionalisation of women's cricket, but we are still only just scratching the surface of its potential," CEO Richard Gould said.

"To continue moving forward, and to make cricket a gender-balanced sport, we need a change in the ownership model and governance structure underpinning the women's professional game.

"(This) will elevate the status of women's domestic cricket to enable it to go further, grow faster and reach its full potential."

ECB director of women's professional game Beth Barrett-Wild added: "We believe that the next chapter is less about the separate transformation of women's cricket and more about the whole game evolving together.

"The invitation to tender, expansion of the women's domestic competition structure and uplift in funding, represent crucial next steps in cricket evolving into the sport we want it to be - one with equality of opportunity for men and women, boys and girls."

• Admin
16 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

"Mr McDonald said he stepped outside the hotel room to make a phone call and heard his colleague Lt Cecil Jacobs shouting at Mr Roebuck.

An incident then took place which resulted in Mr Roebuck's death, the inquest heard." 

Sounds very dodgy, did he shoot / stab himself? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phantom said:

"Mr McDonald said he stepped outside the hotel room to make a phone call and heard his colleague Lt Cecil Jacobs shouting at Mr Roebuck.

An incident then took place which resulted in Mr Roebuck's death, the inquest heard." 

True. Something seems very fishy to me but I suppose it`s case closed now.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I think he jumped from the hotel window.

on a happier note, Another winners medal and man of the match for Tom Abell last night in the South African T20 tournament. Top scoring with 55.

What a great player to have in our team, expecting big things now he’s free of the captaincy 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I think he jumped from the hotel window.

on a happier note, Another winners medal and man of the match for Tom Abell last night in the South African T20 tournament. Top scoring with 55.

What a great player to have in our team, expecting big things now he’s free of the captaincy 

Ahh, now you say that it sadly does ring a bell 

RIP Mike Proctor.

A great servant to Gloucestershire and probably their greatest ever overseas player.

I once saw him hit six consecutive sixes off Denis Breakwell at Taunton, the reason it’s not talked about as much is because it was 2 off the last 2 balls of his over then 4 off the first 4 of his next.

In an era where we were spoilt rotten in county cricket, getting to see the worlds best week in week out, Proccie was one of the best all rounders that I always enjoyed watching against Somerset. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of all rounders, who remembers the all rounder clashes we had at Taunton in the late 70s? It was mainly Botham versus another all rounder and they both batted and bowled to each other with a team of fielders.

I can remember Botham v Proctor, maybe Botham v Imran. There were definitely more and I don’t remember Botham coming out on top too many times.

47 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

On the subject of all rounders, who remembers the all rounder clashes we had at Taunton in the late 70s? It was mainly Botham versus another all rounder and they both batted and bowled to each other with a team of fielders.

I can remember Botham v Proctor, maybe Botham v Imran. There were definitely more and I don’t remember Botham coming out on top too many times.

I vaguely remember something like that on TV with a load of all rounders from abroad somewhere? Seem to remember Clive Rice being in it

11 minutes ago, Super said:

I vaguely remember something like that on TV with a load of all rounders from abroad somewhere? Seem to remember Clive Rice being in it

Yes I’ve a vague memory of that.

The one’s at Taunton were called single wicket competitions, I think Viv was involved in at least one and maybe even Clive Rice and Richard Hadlee as well as Imran and Proctor. 

It was all a bit contrived and didn’t really prove anything, just a bit of fun which is why my memory of it isn’t great.

I’m sure some will remember more

• Like 1

A very amusing 180 degree turn as Brendon McCullum asks for Somerset and Lancashire to play on spinning pitches to aid England’s young spinners.

Small problem, last time we had two England spinners and played on pitches that helped them we got called cheats and ended up getting deducted points.

• Flames 3

On 27/02/2024 at 12:31, bearded_red said:

A very amusing 180 degree turn as Brendon McCullum asks for Somerset and Lancashire to play on spinning pitches to aid England’s young spinners.

Small problem, last time we had two England spinners and played on pitches that helped them we got called cheats and ended up getting deducted points.

Can we get our points back? 🤣