IGNORED

County Cricket 2024 Season

phantom

4 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Just got in from the meeting, first thing to say is that nothing has been decided yet, and the club is still only exploring this as an option. They’ve been talking to South Gloucestershire Council for around two years now, and they’re very supportive. No site has been chosen, but it will be on the northern fringe of Bristol, between Almondsbury and Emerson’s Green.

The ECB are very supportive, and Richard Gould was there for a meeting this morning. They’ll be looking for a site of around 20-25 acres, and will need plenty of facilities for the club to tap into new income streams. The current site is 8 acres, so it’s restricting what they can do there. The suggested £10-40m value of Neville Road is only a ball park figure, the exact value is not known, but if £15m was offered, the project wouldn’t be viable. They reckon there are grants from the ECB and other organisations available.

With regards to capacity, they said they’d be looking for an initial capacity 12-14,000 permanent seats, with the addition of temporary seating and the option to develop further when demand/revenue streams made that viable. They won’t be going for Test Match status as they feel there’s already plenty of those around, and going after that would lead to building a White Elephant!  

A move closer to the ring road  and M5 would make cricket more accessible to those from the north of the county. They also said that it would help them secure a franchise for The Hundred. I don’t know others opinions on this form of the game, I’ve never been keen, but I’ve been somewhat put off by the nearest franchise being in Cardiff, as a true Bristolian I can never support anything Welsh! 

That’s about the gist of it.

Pretty much what you said.

They have said they've not spent any money on this at the moment, they want the 1.5mil a Hundred Team would bring in, it was agreed that the current site isn't great and that any move would be entirely driven by numbers and making the club more sustainable. 

Nothing set in stone, the plan-b option being to do nothing and staying where they are. 

The flats were mentioned, the club didn't care as they were developed by a 3rd party and it would be something for the owners to sort out. 

It wasn't dismissive, it was a helpful chat - next update is likely to be Spring next year. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Pretty much what you said.

They have said they've not spent any money on this at the moment, they want the 1.5mil a Hundred Team would bring in, it was agreed that the current site isn't great and that any move would be entirely driven by numbers and making the club more sustainable. 

Nothing set in stone, the plan-b option being to do nothing and staying where they are. 

The flats were mentioned, the club didn't care as they were developed by a 3rd party and it would be something for the owners to sort out. 

It wasn't dismissive, it was a helpful chat - next update is likely to be Spring next year. 

I think the vast majority of members will back the move, to stay at Neville Road would be akin to seeing the club slowly bleed to death, and that cannot be allowed to happen. This move would make Gloucestershire feel like the major city club it should be.

8 minutes ago, CloudyThatchers said:

There was, pretty much the same was said as to what's been announced

A few members were interviewed and they seemed pretty open to the idea.

Sounds like any new ground could be near the windmill golf centre near Westerleigh. 

It would be ideal, especially if the proposed junction 18A of the M4 is built in Pucklechurch. That said, opposition to that in Pucklechurch is pretty fierce. 

7 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

They won’t be going for Test Match status as they feel there’s already plenty of those around, and going after that would lead to building a White Elephant!  

Why the lack of ambition? Typical Bristol mindset. If Durham can build a test ground at Chester Le Street, and Hampshire the Ageas Bowl, I really don't get why the biggest provincial city in the South of England can't have something at least as good as those.

Anyway, more importantly, I'm going to have to find me a new gym, after nearly 20 years as a BS7 member. FFS. 

12 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Why the lack of ambition? Typical Bristol mindset. If Durham can build a test ground at Chester Le Street, and Hampshire the Ageas Bowl, I really don't get why the biggest provincial city in the South of England can't have something at least as good as those.

Anyway, more importantly, I'm going to have to find me a new gym, after nearly 20 years as a BS7 member. FFS. 

One thing that was mentioned this evening, the gym brings in more revenue than membership.

The cost of bidding for a test (this is me, not the meeting talking), is in the hundreds of thousands, with no guarantee of being successful, so it's a risk.

24 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Basically they’ve  looked at what Hampshire did with the Rose Bowl, they built that with expectation of hosting test matches. It was years before they got a test match and it caused them serious financial problems. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Basically they’ve  looked at what Hampshire did with the Rose Bowl, they built that with expectation of hosting test matches. It was years before they got a test match and it caused them serious financial problems. 

Yep, same thing happened with Durham and then Glamorgan afer redeveloping their ground, to the point where those two no longer host Tests because they couldn't make the finances work.

There is talk that the Hundred will expand to 10 teams, with one at Durham and then another at either Bristol or Taunton (they've finally accepted that people in the West Country won't support a Welsh team)

Had a glance at the Local Plan docs tonight, and if I had to guess, I’d say the plan is to move off of Westerleigh Road, north of the M4 by Lyde Green.  This will be served by the proposed M4 junction by the Folly pub.  

Theres not really anywhere else that fits the profile, and South Glos have already done a survey if people would go to more events at the South Glos showground which is the same site. 

• Like 1

Interesting signing for Somerset today.

Will Sutherland, not an at the end of his career signing but an up and coming starlet one.

An all rounder that bowls medium fast and has a first class ton, he’s from Victoria like Peter Siddle, who spoke highly of Somerset when Sutherland asked his advice.

Looking forward to this one.

• Like 1

Anybody watching Somerset's live streams will have come across and, hopefully (I am sure!), enjoyed Harry Everett's commentary and jovial interaction with his fellow commentatators and guests.

To my pleasant surprise, the interesting and amusing reporter/commentator on today's BBC Championship blog was none other than our own Harry Everett. 

He was very good. 

On 26/12/2023 at 20:01, PHILINFRANCE said:

Anybody watching Somerset's live streams will have come across and, hopefully (I am sure!), enjoyed Harry Everett's commentary and jovial interaction with his fellow commentatators and guests.

To my pleasant surprise, the interesting and amusing reporter/commentator on today's BBC Championship blog was none other than our own Harry Everett. 

He was very good. 

He’s such a massive sports fan, if there’s live sport on locally he’ll be there.

With our dreadful weather lately there’s been a lack of local football on but he still managed to find his way here to Teignmouth at the weekend to watch them.

I’m sure he’ll be getting more BBC work in the future

• Like 1