IGNORED

Chris Hogg on Sound of The City 6:15pm today (13/11/23)

Sleepy1968

I will praise Tinnion for finally unleashing Lita, 29 goals was it and Orr and Brooker were two impressive signings.

Real shame with injury with the latter a few years on. Scott Brown had promise too but never really pushed on.

Bridges and Stewart joined in 2005, unsure about the rest.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I will praise Tinnion for finally unleashing Lita, 29 goals was it and Orr and Brooker were two impressive signings. Real shame with injury with the latter a few years on. Scott Brown had promise too but never really pushed on.

Tinnion played Orr as a central midfielder (& he wasn’t very good) GJ converted him to a right back.

One good enough to then get in The Championship team of the year under him.

Brooker was a good signing, he made at least half a dozen awful ones though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Imagine that, Pearson into DOF* and Manning in as head coach. Totally different vibe amongst the fanbase and a much greater chance of success.

*Preferably after having this full season to attempt a play off push

Agree with that.

For those replies to my "defence" of Tinnion post, I was still on the the anti-Lansdown bus viz him making Tins have Millen as his Assistant.

Whether I, you or we like it or not, I don’t understand why some people are finding it so hard to understand the promotion comments from the club. It’s really very simple!

1) They are never going to hold a manager accountable entirely to a promotion or bust ultimatum as it’s simply not practical. (hence why they’re tip toeing around questions of this nature directed at the new Head Coaching team).

2) They didn’t feel NP was making quick enough progress towards this ultimate target of promotion so sacked him and referenced this as their reason. (Of course they’re going to be more gentle on the new management team at this point. What would you expect them to say?)

3) They feel LM is a better prospect to speed up that progress towards the ultimate aim of promotion so appointed him.

Again, we don’t have to agree or like it but that’s what’s basically going on, isn’t it?!

• Like 8

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

Agree with that.

For those replies to my "defence" of Tinnion post, I was still on the the anti-Lansdown bus viz him making Tins have Millen as his Assistant.

Millen has had by far the better career in football of the two since then.

Perhaps he should have made Millen manager with Tinnion as assistant?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

43 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I can see some scary echos with the current situation. A shock departure for not meeting aims , followed by an even worse period of underachievement. All with Tinnion at the forefront.

Ps Headhunter, Tinnions football was crap

I raised concern on here long ago and was shot down. It was an appointment which made me shake my head in dismay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Do you trust them? We have a chairman who has no football experience at that level, a technical director who was sacked in League 1 as manager for nearly getting us relegated and someone who played one season at this level in one of the worst city teams of all time under Benny. Now a manager who has only ever led a team in League One. It’s a worry, I would say the way out of the division is very clear! Worrying. 

Some manager called McKenna who had only managed in league 1 before this season ain’t doing a bad job 

just saying 

22 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Imagine that, Pearson into DOF* and Manning in as head coach. Totally different vibe amongst the fanbase and a much greater chance of success.

*Preferably after having this full season to attempt a play off 

13 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Whether I, you or we like it or not, I don’t understand why some people are finding it so hard to understand the promotion comments from the club. It’s really very simple!

1) They are never going to hold a manager accountable entirely to a promotion or bust ultimatum as it’s simply not practical. (hence why they’re tip toeing around questions of this nature directed at the new Head Coaching team).

2) They didn’t feel NP was making quick enough progress towards this ultimate target of promotion so sacked him and referenced this as their reason. (Of course they’re going to be more gentle on the new management team at this point. What would you expect them to say?)

3) They feel LM is a better prospect to speed up that progress towards the ultimate aim of promotion so appointed him.

Again, we don’t have to agree or like it but that’s what’s basically going on, isn’t it?!

They made a change, that was broadly speaking uncalled for and unasked for. I'm generalising a bit 

I agree, that an expectation of promotion of top six even would be foolish for a host of reasons, surely then a possible remit is that Manning must bare minimum retain the current level, perhaps aim to push into the top half, top 10.

If injuries became really healed up and we invest in some players in January with no major departures that again will move the dial albeit it is the board and Tinnion I am judging more.

They made the change as a 40% win ratio and 1.4 PPG was unacceptable or progressing too slowly. (Or 35.71% if NP not Fleming and 1.29 PPG if NP not Fleming).

The ie the Lansdowns and Tinnion made the change. Fans will be watching, and judging

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Do you trust them? We have a chairman who has no football experience at that level, a technical director who was sacked in League 1 as manager for nearly getting us relegated and someone who played one season at this level in one of the worst city teams of all time under Benny. Now a manager who has only ever led a team in League One. It’s a worry, I would say the way out of the division is very clear! Worrying. 

I don't trust them and I agree with you my honest opinion is players will get bored and I've certainly gone past trusting anyone at the top that trust is broken. Mannings been put in a very crap position but he's accepted it!! I'm expecting the team to achieve now that's the Barr they've set.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Based on what though? Really want to give Manning every chance to succeed but he has never coached at this level or achieved anything to date.

They have thrown away the coaching/management team who have been there and done it previously and pulled the club and squad around from the damage done by Johnson/ashton for a complete blind shot in the dark…..massive gamble but can only hope it works for all our sakes

• Like 3

Personally I’m expecting a top half finish minimum this season.

frankly if we have a squad capable of top 6 according to the powers at be at the club and they appoint a coach they are convinced is a stand out , exciting candidate to the role who takes the reigns with us in the top half but then goes on to take  us to a bottom half finish I will be f in livid.

how stupid would BT and the board look then.

• Like 10

Nope. Our chairman and tech director believe this squad is top 6, that’s why we made the change now so that’s what we as fans need to hold them to. 

Jeez you are really angry aren’t you? No way I wanted NP gone but at some stage we have to try and move on , just shouting for the rest of the season that JL said we have a top six squad is just obsessive, if we support the club then surely we want it to go well , I think some on here would rather at least it doesn’t go to well so can kick the board , well pissed off as I was with Nige , I still want us to win every game and Liam Manning to do well as I am a City fan first . 

Nope. Our chairman and tech director believe this squad is top 6, that’s why we made the change now so that’s what we as fans need to hold them to. 

Jeez you are really angry aren’t you? No way I wanted NP gone but at some stage we have to try and move on , just shouting for the rest of the season that JL said we have a top six squad is just obsessive, if we support the club then surely we want it to go well , I think some on here would rather at least it doesn’t go to well so can kick the board , well pissed off as I was with Nige , I still want us to win every game and Liam Manning to do well as I am a City fan first . 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

They unequivocally claimed we have a top 6 squad. So why would the top 6 not be the aim? Vague talk of progress means they can claim success in any way they choose.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I will praise Tinnion for finally unleashing Lita, 29 goals was it and Orr and Brooker were two impressive signings.

Real shame with injury with the latter a few years on. Scott Brown had promise too but never really pushed on.

Matt Heywood

Grant Smith

Dave Partridge

Richard Keogh

Alex Russell

Think those players joined at the same time as Bridges and Stewart. The magnificent seven!

Keogh and Russell were good players!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

I’ve had enough and rightly so. Only so many times you can tolerate the same mistakes. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, ChubStixx said:

Matt Heywood

Grant Smith

Dave Partridge

Richard Keogh

Alex Russell

Think those players joined at the same time as Bridges and Stewart. The magnificent seven!

Keogh and Russell were good players!

Forgot about Russell! Yes they were decent, Keogh left us for Coventry iirc in the GJ promotion season.

27 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

It's the way things were done and the timing that irks. I , like others had said once the rebuild and ground work had been done, then it may be time to replace Pearson. I was thinking this summer or maybe next. It felt like ditching him with a job half done but no set plan of how to complete it.

They alluded to the squad being good enough to be near the top and they didn't think Pearson could take the team to promotion. After a result with 12 first team players missing but still not miles away from top 6.
I agree it would be stupid to put the expectation of Promotion on the new boss, but they had hinted that's why Pearson was sacked. It does smack of double standards.

Yeah I kind of get the speed of progress thing, but there had been progress and bringing in a new boss could actually slow that. 
Might just have been appearances, but it looked like they used a loss with a massively depleted side to judge Pearson so the new man , which they hadn't a clue who that would be at the time, would get in as players came back . I may be being a bit cynical but, as I said appearances.

If they had Manning lined up I may agree more with 3 , but they sacked NP with no idea who would be coming in. Yes they may have had an idea of the type of coach , but when they say names may be added to the list you know it's a bit of a lucky dip.

It may turn out to be a master stroke, we will find out . I have been here long enough not to worry about who comes in, I have never had and will never have a say in it, I just get on supporting the side. The Manager/Coach to some extent is a sideshow, I have followed City with Managers I love & Managers I hate , little changes. 
In my opinion the how and when was wrong, not actually parting with Pearson. 

We now have the learning period for Manning, he needs to get to that point where he trusts and knows his players and that takes time. With 3 tough games coming up we could be in a very dodgy position by the time we go to Huddersfield , then 2 more tough games. I hope the International break goes well , we will need to really step up when they come back.

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Forgot about Russell! Yes they were decent, Keogh left us for Coventry iirc in the GJ promotion season.

Russell was good.

Tinnion didn’t pick Keogh, he only made 6 starts in Tinnion’s time in charge, including the fateful Swansea game.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Thanks 1

Why are people holding JL to what is said in a pr interview, he's always going to big us up for the players sakes and fans sake, imagine he came out and said mid-table at best don't even think of play offs, there would be pages and pages of people slagging off his approach and how it does not put us in a good light for a new manager aswel as crushing the squads confidence. 

No-one believes a politician so why is this any different

Edited by johnheadbcfc
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

32 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Why are people holding JL to what is said in a pr interview, he's always going to big us up for the players sakes and fans sake, imagine he came out and said mid-sole at best don't even think of play offs, there would be pages and pages of people slagging off his approach and how it does not put us in a good light for a new manager aswel as crushing the squads confidence. 

He is the chairman of our football club, underachieving was the reason given for sacking Pearson, crayon boy needs to stand by his words, the old saying "dont piss down my back and tell me its raining" comes to mind.

• Like 5
  • Flames 4

34 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Why are people holding JL to what is said in a pr interview, he's always going to big us up for the players sakes and fans sake, imagine he came out and said mid-sole at best don't even think of play offs, there would be pages and pages of people slagging off his approach and how it does not put us in a good light for a new manager aswel as crushing the squads confidence. 

Because he's not a politician?

He's come out and used the promotion statement as justification to sack Pearson. So for him to start back tracking is deplorable and shows further that Pearson was sacked for 'non-footballing' reasons. 

Think Manning is on a bit of a hiding to nothing here and sadly unless he does brilliant (which I hope) will carry the can for BT/JL 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Tinnion played Orr as a central midfielder (& he wasn’t very good) GJ converted him to a right back.

One good enough to then get in The Championship team of the year under him.

Brooker was a good signing, he made at least half a dozen awful ones though.

I don't  know most of his signings turned out to be decent under Johnson snr.  There were only a few that were average and didn't work out and were moved on when we were promoted.

He was just terrible as a manager, much better as a coach.

1 minute ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I don't  know most of his signings turned out to be decent under Johnson snr.  There were only a few that were average and didn't work out and were moved on when we were promoted.

He was just terrible as a manager, much better as a coach.

Heywood? Grant Smith? Bridges? Stewart? Partridge? Gillespie? 

Plus who can ever forget Tony Dinning, what a signing he was.

This just isn’t true, more of his signings were total duds, even if GJ (a manager light years ahead of him) managed to make something of a couple of them.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Heywood? Grant Smith? Bridges? Stewart? Partridge? Gillespie? 

Plus who can ever forget Tony Dinning, what a signing he was.

This just isn’t true, more of his signings were total duds, even if GJ (a manager light years ahead of him) managed to make something of a couple of them.

Dinning looked fantastic while earning a contract😂

Bridges and Stewart at that time were incredible...on paper

• Hmmm 1