IGNORED

Sin Bins In Football

Super

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) has approved proposed trials whereby only the team captain may approach the referee and for sin bins to be tested at a higher level.

The measures aim to improve participant behaviour in football and increase respect for officials.

A proposed trial where only the team captain can approach the referee "in certain major game situations" was given the green light.

It was also agreed that sin bins "for dissent and specific tactical offences" should be trialled at higher levels following their successful implementation in grassroots football.

• Like 1

I think will will be very hard to implement on grass roots. My issue with this is changes such as var etc is that it's moving the pro game away from grass roots football.  Var has been proven to be controversial and get things wrong and this will be no different. My thoughts are to pay refs a decent wage and improve the standard.

I don't however have an issue with captains only talking to the refs as refs have a hard time and if this helps then fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

I think will will be very hard to implement on grass roots. My issue with this is changes such as var etc is that it's moving the pro game away from grass roots football.  Var has been proven to be controversial and get things wrong and this will be no different. My thoughts are to pay refs a decent wage and improve the standard.

I don't however have an issue with captains only talking to the refs as refs have a hard time and if this helps then fair enough.

Sin bins are used in grass roots football, players can be sin binned in the AYL. 

50 minutes ago, Super said:

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) has approved proposed trials whereby only the team captain may approach the referee and for sin bins to be tested at a higher level.

The measures aim to improve participant behaviour in football and increase respect for officials.

A proposed trial where only the team captain can approach the referee "in certain major game situations" was given the green light.

It was also agreed that sin bins "for dissent and specific tactical offences" should be trialled at higher levels following their successful implementation in grassroots football.

Please no sin bins

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I'd guess it'll be stuff like denying a goalscoring opportunity.

I was thinking more of those cynical fouls from behind where a player brings down someone that is breaking on the counter-attack.

I've long thought a yellow card isn't sufficient punishment for some of those fouls as they are cynical, intentional, and often prevent the attacking team from creating a very good opportunity. 

Personally think sin-bins are a good idea & will make players think twice about making those types of professional fouls. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Problem is if one of your players is sin binned for say 10/15 mins it's simple to set your formation up to be negative and contain the opponents. How many times have 10 men held out.

It's not like rugby, which presumably the rule is being copied from, where it's basically man against man and you have one "extra" player who has no one marking them. I think in rugby it's been proved that if a team has a player sin binned for 10 minutes that usually allows the opposing team to score 7/9 points.

I think sin bins have some merit.

I've always thought the accumulation of yellow cards resulting in a ban has always had a issue of fairness about it.  And this is the scenario.

- It's the penultimate game of the season.  City are level on points with Leeds for the second automatic promotion place. (I never said it was a realistic scenario!). 

- Both clubs have to play Norwich in one of the last two game.  City play Norwich in their penultimate game, and Leeds play Norwich in their last game.

- In the City v Norwich game, four of Norwich's key player are one booking away from a ban. 

-  All 4 players pick up yellow cards in the game v City for professional fouls and are subsequently banned for the final game of the season against Leeds.

- For City, all the offences by these players deny us from winning the game, and yet it's Leeds that benefit from these offences as they face a weakened team because of the offences committed against City.  Leeds benefit, but we don't. 

Ok, an unlikely scenario and I've exaggerated the impact to prove a point but at any time of the season a misdemeanour by one player that merits a booking does not really help the team they commit it against.  By sin binning him, the team he has committed the offence against immediately benefits rather than some other random team further down the fixture list. 

There are arguments against of course - would it result in a very defensive formation from the sin-binned team - but it would solve this particular injustice that I have always struggled with. 

Edited by Red Skin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roe said:

Unnecessary imo and will only lead to more controversy (ie one player gets sent to sin bin, while another gets away with it etc) 

They already have good punishments to give out for abuse to referees, they just need to actually use them

I disagree, they can't come soon enough. Hopefully it'll eradicate the ridiculous 'taking one for the team' fouls and cumulative abuses. Teams should be penalised for offences in real time like they are in Rugby Union. You don't see any abuse of the referee there, because they immediately punish players.

• Like 1

I'd personally get rid of VAR, and just have goal line technology. 

I'd also have the refs mic'd up like they do in rugby. 

Imo.The players are less likely to swear and kick off if the public can hear, as well as media and press. 

I'd also overhaul the hand ball rule in the penalty box. 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I was thinking more of those cynical fouls from behind where a player brings down someone that is breaking on the counter-attack.

I've long thought a yellow card isn't sufficient punishment for some of those fouls as they are cynical, intentional, and often prevent the attacking team from creating a very good opportunity. 

Personally think sin-bins are a good idea & will make players think twice about making those types of professional fouls. 

I’ve wondered what if a referee has discretion to bring the foul forwards 10/20 yards for cynical fouls on counters, players may not want to give one away if it brings it within easy distance for a dangerous set piece 

Sin bin is definitely worth trialing in the PL along with only the captain being permitted to speak to the referee. It’s worked well in rugby for years and no reason why it wouldn’t transfer into football - it’s the difficulty of retraining/reeducating the players that might be an issue - but a couple of straight reds would soon sort that out.

Just another grey area so it’s a no for me. I imagine the broadcasters are the ones pushing for it - more controversy, debate and more jeopardy in the game. 

I don’t see it being good for the game at all though. As we can see with VAR it ain’t more tools that the ref’s need, it’s fewer tools and more clarity on rules. Better to amend the rules so that offside, handballs are made absolutely clear.

I can’t be in favour of giving refs the uncertainty between yellow, red and a temporary red. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Disagree with that. TMO has never been as bad as VAR 

In rugby the referee asks the TMO “is there any reason not to award the try?”  The response is generally pretty quick. I’m not sure what happens if the referee awards a try without asking the TMO.

In football a goal is automatically reviewed by VaR and that can take a bloody age!