IGNORED

Southampton away match thread

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Fair enough. Can't say I've ever met one, nor would I visit their online following. 

I mean they were very, very good in his first season there tho, before getting shithoused by Ainsworths dour Wycombe in the play off semi. 

Yeah agree - and if you can get a team playing like that Dons side with Darling, Twine, O’Reilly then nobody’s complaining. But I don’t think it’s unfair to give the question mark considering what happened post their departure.

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah agree - and if you can get a team playing like that Dons side with Darling, Twine, O’Reilly then nobody’s complaining. But I don’t think it’s unfair to give the question mark considering what happened post their departure.

No, I've just never heard the specific about in-game management. At Oxford it seems to have been a strength. Let's see how it unfolds here.

Immediate thoughts after that performance are generally positive.

We looked far more composed and comfortable with the ball throughout, although failing to be very creative with possession. we certainly look to be trying to play the ball forward at every opportunity and much quicker than in the past and it was a solid team performance. We didn’t seem to be under any massive threat from Southampton.

The two pivotal moments were a world class strike at the start of the second half and a marvelous save from their keeper when we looked like scoring towards the end of the first half.

Hopefully Naismith’s injury is nothing too serious, although I suspect it’s a reoccurrence of his recent hamstring issue.

On balance a draw tonight would’ve been the right result, but we were undone by a truly excellent strike.

Overall a tidy performance, which reinforced our weaknesses upfront in my opinion.  Bell and Conway both worked hard, but never really troubled Southampton. We didn’t create a chance in the second half as far as I can remember.

Great noise from the traveling fans who were a credit to the club.

• Like 5

Massively missed opportunity for points that. We looked totally out of ideas after they scored, which doesn’t make any sense after playing so well first half. We looked happy to just lose it 1-0. 

Given we were playing a side who would shag the ball if they could, the amount of times we needlessly turned the ball over was absolutely staggering.  

Second half was truly, truly horrific and was a borderline copy and paste of QPR. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Bit of a curates egg. Some good stuff, some clearly work in progress.

Southampton clearly the better side in the second half but still only managed one. We had more than enough chances to put the ball in their bloody net. Not scoring away is becoming a thing.

Ho hum. Frustrated more than anything.

• Like 2