IGNORED

Southampton away match thread

Just now, Edgy Red said:

Wow, have i read that right... i think we played pretty well tonight and after just 3 games i can already see what Manning wants us to do which after nearly 3 years i couldn't see under Nige.

We have just competed very well against a Prem team from last season who scored a worldie goal by an England international.

Yes, we were better in the first half but i thought we looked organised throughout and tried to pass the ball as much as we could.

We clearly need a couple of new attacking options but i am very optimistic with Mannings start.

I'm sorry but that's not how I saw the game. 

1st half good and positive. Second half we were woeful. 1st half I could see what we were trying to do but after the goal we were clueless. Couldn't keep posession, couldn't string anything together. 

QPR we were woeful, first half V Boro it was dull. Second half we conceded 2 goals but thankfully had enough in us to get the win. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

I missed the 2nd half unfortunately, so can't comment on that. Everytime I see him play, his standard stuff is to get the ball, run directly into a defender and then lose the ball

He looked good.  The best I’d seen.  Definitely a player there for me still, hopefully Manning can get it out of him as his output so far has been below what we could’ve all expected.   

3 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Wow, have i read that right... i think we played pretty well tonight and after just 3 games i can already see what Manning wants us to do which after nearly 3 years i couldn't see under Nige.

We have just competed very well against a Prem team from last season who scored a worldie goal by an England international.

Yes, we were better in the first half but i thought we looked organised throughout and tried to pass the ball as much as we could.

We clearly need a couple of new attacking options but i am very optimistic with Mannings start.

Random question, but when does a player who played for England twice a while ago stop being an england international? I would imagine he isn't going to get any more caps for a good few years

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

1st half good and positive. Second half we were woeful. 1st half I could see what we were trying to do but after the goal we were clueless. Couldn't keep posession, couldn't string anything together. 

QPR we were woeful, first half V Boro it was dull. Second half we conceded 2 goals but thankfully had enough in us to get the win. 

Manning has had THREE games. Give him a chance and lets see how things pan out. If in 3 years time we are still an average Champ team then he will have done no better or worse than the previous manager

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Body language doesn’t look great either.

I thought it was just me. He looks a little lost , but doesn't lack commitment as staying with City instead of going with the National side shows. Wonder if he's missing his BFF. 
The sooner he shakes himself out of it the better.  But for now, I'd be tempted to play Weimann instead . 3 excellent chances missed in 2 games , got away with it Saturday but it always comes back to bite you, missing those chances. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Random question, but when does a player who played for England twice a while ago stop being an england international? I would imagine he isn't going to get any more caps for a good few years

How many players have we got who will ever play for the full England side. Walker-Peters is a very good player

Disappointed with some of the comments on here after such a good performance.

We all know we need reinforcements to move above mid table, and that we need more numbers - Nige recognised this, as clearly does LM too, with his references to a striker in January window, and the fact he only put 7 on the bench (perhaps that is the old Cotts messaging to the owners re numbers).

I am more than content with tonight 

CTID

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Manning has had THREE games. Give him a chance and lets see how things pan out. If in 3 years time we are still an average Champ team then he will have done no better or worse than the previous manager

That’s not true though is it?  
He’s been given the platform to perform here - and top 6 is expected this season and with these players.  Maybe he will do it.  Too early to tell so far.   But you cannot give him the same target as NP. We’ve been categorically told that’s not the case.   

• Like 3

The writing has been on the wall and the goals for column, Cornick was never going to be the answer, Tommy is all over the shop and needs Wells back, we are strong at the back, no one have dicked us thus far but how the Hell a City side has powder puff strikers that in previous years at least we had a goal scorer....even more frustrating when we have a solid defence and should be winning these games. 

What a cluster **** of a way to run a club? A succession of inept owners going back to '76, we have at long last netted a good young coach, of that I am sure, but he needs support financially the squad is bereft of quality and needs probably four good players however I won't hold my breath that he will be given the funds.

Edited by cotswoldred2
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1
3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Disappointed with some of the comments on here after such a good performance.

We all know we need reinforcements to move above mid table, and that we need more numbers - Nige recognised this, as clearly does LM too, with his references to a striker in January window, and the fact he only put 7 on the bench (perhaps that is the old Cotts messaging to the owners re numbers).

I am more than content with tonight 

CTID

Blimey your easily  pleased 

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Maybe it would seem a little better if you used some of the excuses you used to use under Nige:

We've got loads of injuries

Can't even name a full bench

Haven't spent any of the Scott money on new players

Squad too small

Opposition have parachute payments

Opposition have former England players

We're playing a bunch of kids 

No CEO

Board is incompetent 

Etc

Manning is still working under all of the above constraints.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1
5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Listening to BBC Radio Bristol, my stream was up and down but could/we should have had a penalty??

I didn't see one. If there was, it would have been for handball, but I saw nothing.

What I did see was City wasteful in the final third, same old thing I'm afraid.

Overall, i didn't think we did that badly, and I'm certainly onboard for Manning now.

Pissed right off about Nigel, but you have to move on.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

Great 1st half but missed chances cost us, reading saints forum, all thought we should be winning.

James stood off a bit for the goal, but Great strike.

Seem to forget the pasing and retain possession instructions 2nd half and went back to hitting aimless balls forward and gifting the ball back 

Overall encouraging performance against a ex prem parachute payments team

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I thought it was just me. He looks a little lost , but doesn't lack commitment as staying with City instead of going with the National side shows. Wonder if he's missing his BFF. 
The sooner he shakes himself out of it the better.  But for now, I'd be tempted to play Weimann instead . 3 excellent chances missed in 2 games , got away with it Saturday but it always comes back to bite you, missing those chances. 

I think he massively misses Nakki up front with him

• Like 2
Just now, lenred said:

That’s not true though is it?  
He’s been given the platform to perform here - and top 6 is expected this season and with these players.  Maybe he will do it.  Too early to tell so far.   But you cannot give him the same target as NP. We’ve been categorically told that’s not the case.   

Top 6 with these players😂😂😂. All that statement does is put it in block capitals how ******* stupid Snakey and Crayon Whisperer are………..

Whenever we play a good side at the level it’s a narrow defeat with little goal threat…..facts that is. The way we go about it might change, the result doesn’t. We ain’t good enough.

• Like 3