IGNORED

Norwich City home match thread

13 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Any player would look isolated working in tandem with Weimann. He makes it impossible for Tanner to pass to him because of the position he takes up. He was again today very poor and him losing a ball that he could easily have passed led ultimately to the goal. If Sykes wasn't injured then to take him off and keeping Weimann on was such a strange decision. Probably 4 or 5 players needed in the transfer window and I'm not too worried about it being loans either. We can't keep using the same players and expect anything different. 

100%. I couldn’t work out his position- he wasn’t supporting Conway, and he definitely wasn’t adding any width/ giving Tanner an option down the wing. We all know Tanner isn’t a rampaging wing back- he’s a defensive minded right back. If Manning is expecting Tanner to run that whole right flank on his own, then he’s clearly seeing something in training that has never manifested itself on the pitch. I 100% would have hooked Weimann for Mehmeti and played them both on their preferred side. Or taken Conway off and played Andi up top instead- he would’ve had about the same amount of chances to be effective (I.e. not many). I would be prepared to give the team a lot more leeway if the team had given up playing for Pearson, but right now we look, at BEST, no better than before

• Like 3
Just now, Robin101 said:

Didn’t say it was a good thing did I? Just explaining why Ashton Gate feels so flat. You could hear the hubbub of people talking for the first 10 mins of the second half ffs.

And I wasn’t on here during the game, for what it’s worth. 

But what would you like me to do? I’ve previously said I think it’s time for new ownership - I don’t think much is going to change til it happens. 

Fair enough, my post isn’t aimed squarely at you - I don’t know your posting history - but there’s been a lot of comments along this line recently….’it is what it is’ whilst still being in support of the board or new managerial change.

I just want a bit of hope and belief - something the Lansdowns seem inconsistently incapable of bringing.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Do the board even see us as a club capable of making playoffs? They obviously just said that to get rid of Nige and as they have to say that to try and keep fans appeased (even thought it has backfired massively as their lack of transparency is not lost on any supporter).

This season is gone now with the injuries and squad we have IMO. If we go into next season with the same transfer policy then it will be mortifying.

Rinse and repeat, I have watched a 40-odd-year wash cycle, and still, my shirt says sorry still not ready yet, I did not go down today simply because after 55 years the scales have finally fallen from my eyes, remember this I was 24 years old when we last played in the top flight, I have now been collecting my state pension for nearly Two years, yes really so all you Twenty and Thirty somethings who think it's only a matter of time be afraid very afraid. you like me may NEVER see us play top-flight football again. It's depressing, isn't it?  

Edited by pillred
  • Like 5
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1
6 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

That was, for large portions of the game, a very dull watch. Not overly impressed with “Manning-Ball” so far. 

This squad is no where near top 6 material. 

Of course it isn't. I'd bet my mortgage that Jon Lansdown doesn't really think it is either, but when you've got to try and justify getting rid of a manager and can't admit that it's because you couldn't deal with his personality, you'll spout whatever shite you think you can get away with.

• Like 11
  • Flames 2

I live up north but been to 4 home games now with family that dont watch football and this club is definitely not converting new fans.

We are a solid midtable championship team, the tactics baffle me tho.

Is this the cool new meta to play football? Pass the ball around the back for 10 mins while Norwich put everyone behind the ball and put it to inverted wingers who cut back and pass back to repeat the same boring process??.

I like matty james but have some vision, hit a ball into the wings, not just pass back and sideways, was great when joe williams came on and moved it forward.

Im just bored tbh, its terrible football to watch.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Very few are going at Manning tbf. If the idiots in charge hadn’t talked about getting rid of the last manager to give us a greater chance of success, 70 minutes of utter dross today may not have provoked the reaction it has……..tbh it was a pain for me to get there today and if we had a game at 1.30pm next Sunday I would most likely give it a miss, regardless of who the Manager is.

Fair enough, but we have been watching dross for the last 5 years never mind 70 minutes today so let’s give the guy a chance and a bit of time

4 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Expectations have risen because of communication coming from the top, it's only right that we now expect this team to be top 6 and challenging and pissed off if they aren't.

I won’t be pissed off if we don’t hit top 6 because we WON’T. We just don’t have the players. However a CHANGE was made and over the next three months or so I’m expecting something to CHANGE for the better otherwise it’s a pointless decision that was made.

My positive take on it is Manning is trying to change the style and with this group that takes time. If I’m watching 70/90 minutes of what we served up today come February on a regular basis then the Snake and the Prince of Guernsey need to come out and explain their thinking a bit further.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Well that was absolutely awful.

I've just got home and I still haven't really understood what I saw.

The formation didn't suit us, the football was boring, the subs were bizarre and what was Sykes doing out of position?

He swapped created the goal, then went back to the left.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

We played 20 minutes of good football today tbf and 70 minutes of mind numbing backwards and sideways passing. That’s not good enough and has to improve in the coming weeks and months.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Conway looked like he didn’t even wanna be there. Tanner is so bad. Need about 4/5 signings in jan 

To be fair to Tanner, he was often left with an impossible decision; push up in to the mass of space in front of him and leave a big gap in his area of responsibility, or play it safe and reserved. Either way, I was looking at Weimann and expecting him to provide more options out wide as opposed to tucking in.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2