IGNORED

Norwich City home match thread

2 hours ago, Graham76 said:

They were all salivating at the lips over Manning and this new brand of football.   It's been utter tripe so far. 

Yep ........considering LM has been here for such an enormous length of time...........I believe it is almost a Month ...  now?   And also considering all the new players he has recruited..........I just DO NOT understand why we aren't at least second or third by now?   These young upstart coaches  have no understanding of urgency?   Maybe he will eventually learn to be patient, like our "clued in" supporters?

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yep ........considering LM has been here for such an enormous length of time...........I believe it is almost a Month ...  now?   And also considering all the new players he has recruited..........I just DO NOT understand why we aren't at least second or third by now?   These young upstart coaches  have no understanding of urgency?   Maybe he will eventually learn to be patient, like our "clued in" supporters?

Happy clapper enjoy  a relegation  fight  ,boring  shite  football. 

3 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Can’t believe the massive over-reaction on here, it’s as if some people are wishing for Manning to fail, remind me who our manager was when Norwich beat us very convincingly with their reserve team at AG earlier in the season? Manning has come in with Wells injured, “Pearson signing” Cornick, who is utter dross, Weimann, who is well passed it and two very young strikers in Conway and Bell who are struggling massively 

Why is it that whenever someone reacts to a defeat or poor performance, you and some others consider it "over-reaction"?

It is simply a reaction. That's the point of having a forum. Posters can criticise and praise.

You call it "over-reaction" simply because it challenges or contradicts your opinion/point-of-view/belief.

Bit like when Jon Lansdown said the fans "over-reacted" to the sacking of Pearson.

No, they didn't "over-react". They simply reacted.

He considered it an "over-reaction" because the blinkered/out-of-touch Lansdowns mis-read the room.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2
25 minutes ago, maxjak said:

That’s a fair point and as I said in another post if the trend of the performances, behaviours, KPI’s, results and whatever other metric you want to use don’t improve by February people will legitimately ask what was the point in trying to fix something that, whilst a bit uninspiring (but understandably so given the budget issues), certainly WASN’T broken.

To me, by January we should be a lot better at what he’s trying to instil and assuming the nest egg is cracked open by February/March time we should be seeing a real improvement in performance and results. If not, why the **** not?

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

That’s a fair point and as I said in another post if the trend of the performances, behaviours, KPI’s, results and whatever other metric you want to use don’t improve by February people will legitimately ask what was the point in trying to fix something that, whilst a bit uninspiring (but understandably so given the budget issues), certainly WASN’T broken.

To me, by January we should be a lot better at what he’s trying to instil and assuming the nest egg is cracked open by February/March time we should be seeing a real improvement in performance and results. If not, why the **** not?

If things have not improved considerably by Feb/March?  I will be at the head of the queue of complainants.........but some of the ludicrous knee jerk reactions elsewhere on the forum are just absurd IMHO.  LM needs some time, I thought NP's departure was handled appallingly, but i have belief in the new coach, and i think supporters might just end up eating some humble pie eventually?  Fingers crossed.. Ha!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

If things have not improved considerably by Feb/March?  I will be at the head of the queue of complainants.........but some of the ludicrous knee jerk reactions elsewhere on the forum are just absurd IMHO.  LM needs some time, I thought NP's departure was handled appallingly, but i have belief in the new coach, and i think supporters might just end up eating some humble pie eventually?  Fingers crossed.. Ha!

The problem for Manning is that few of the supporters are going to give him that much time. It’s not his fault but he will be the fall guy. We have been sold a fable of how the club needed a new young coach to take its “top 6 squad” to new heights. We all know that’s a load of bull, but that’s what has been said. If the delivery on the pitch fails to live up to that promise, both in terms of style and results, then the only answer will be to sack the coach, because I don’t see any of Jon Lansdown, Brian Tinnion and the other director I had never heard of before resigning because they messed it up. That not the way it works in football.

8 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yep, Manning failing will be a disaster for us, he needs to get on that training ground and get his methods instilled quickly over the coming weeks.

10 minutes ago, maxjak said:

See I’d see Feb/March as a knee jerk - I guess we all have different tolerance levels. 

The guys got a difficult job, but I think by this time next year it will give us a better idea if he’s up to it or not. 

2 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

We must give young Manning a chance - he didn't take over in some sort of coup.

He was appointed by people confident not only in his ability, but who also felt he could take a "top six ready" squad to its rightful place - perhaps more quickly than NP. 

It's not looking great thus far, but if it doesn't turn out to plan, well, I know precisely who I'll be holding to account.

Let's hope we don't need to go there and the master plan is indeed fit for purpose. 

History would indicate otherwise - that's my main concern. 

Agree, we have to give Manning a chance, and we are doing.

But two things.

1. Our expectations of him have been set by the Lansdowns' supposed rationale for getting rid of Pearson and subsequent statements like having a  "top six squad".

2. Unfortunately, although Manning is blameless, the removal of Pearson and Manning's subsequent appointment, felt like a coup. This was not a decision justifiable or driven by an unacceptable standing in the table and/or major fans' discontent.

• Like 4

I know i'm swimming against the tide based on peoples posts on here tonight but i genuinely thought we played ok today and should have taken at least a point from the game.

Preston and Birmingham were far worse home performances in my view.

We were shocking at Rotherham but scored a last minute winner so all was rosy. Unfortunately today we were on the wrong end of that and it hurts.

Lets give Manning some time and hopefully with a couple of good signings in January we can have a decent 2nd half of the season.

Tin hat on!

• Like 4

That was pretty flat and turgid. I can see the players trying to implement Manning's ideas about holding onto the ball to try and work the opportunity and create the overlap but it is so passive. I am not sure we have the playing credentials to play like that. Only when Sykes and TGH broke the line did we ever speed it up and only then did we suddenly start to cause them problems. We'll never start on the front foot and dictate a game if we're playing side to side then backwards just to keep hold of the ball despite what Manning tells the press. He played Sykes out of position, then rotated him with Weimann which led to the goal only to switch again?!? Taking our two best players off in TGH & Sykes were decisions I cannot fathom & playing Sykes wide left where he looked completely lost reminded me of LJ playing players out of position. Even Mehmeti was playing wide right. I've never seen him play there. Some really strange decisions today. For the first time he looked out of his depth and I realise we are only a few games into yet another new Lansdown dawn. We've got some tough matches coming up and the pressure will ramp up quickly with more negative showings like that. If he starts blaming players not following his instructions then that's a sure sign he's feeling the pressure as the same players were pulling together and delivering under the previous Boss. What I find intriguing is that Pearson, with all of his experience and savvy stated we didn't need any new forwards, whereas Manning, with all of his experience at this level seems to think that should be high on the shopping list come January. Its a sad state of affairs but I've never felt so disillusioned and unattached from my club as I do at the moment.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, 2015 said:

Totally overachieving. Getting the very best from an average bunch whilst reducing our wage bill at the same time and selling our two best assets. 

The delusion from the club to sack him and for the fans who supported that decision deserve everything they get.

I’ve stopped going down since NP left and so have many others I know. This club is a shambles. NP was over achieving. Lansdownes have to go before I bother again - after 50 years of supporting this football club. Complete shambles.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

See I’d see Feb/March as a knee jerk - I guess we all have different tolerance levels. 

The guys got a difficult job, but I think by this time next year it will give us a better idea if he’s up to it or not. 

Out of interest, what do you see as difficult about his job, in the context of joining Bristol City in its current state?

49 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I know i'm swimming against the tide based on peoples posts on here tonight but i genuinely thought we played ok today and should have taken at least a point from the game.

Preston and Birmingham were far worse home performances in my view.

We were shocking at Rotherham but scored a last minute winner so all was rosy. Unfortunately today we were on the wrong end of that and it hurts.

Lets give Manning some time and hopefully with a couple of good signings in January we can have a decent 2nd half of the season.

Tin hat on!

Don’t forget stoke at home. 

8 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Yes, it's interesting to hear people seemingly conclude that we have a new financial framework, along with our new Head Coach. 

Obviously if we receive a sell on clause from Kelly, a bonus or similar that also can go in a pot for potential additions but all things being equal, surely the Magic Money Tree hasn't blossomed suddenly?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, what do you see as difficult about his job, in the context of joining Bristol City in its current state?

The expectations placed on him far outstrip what can be delivered in the short term. 

Ordinarily you’d expect a new manager to come into failing team. In this case, I think broadly speaking the fans were generally content, with green shoots starting to flourish.  So straight off the bat, Manning isn’t faced by a low bar.

Coupled with the nonsense talk of “top 6 squad” (to paraphrase, before people pick up on the semantics) he has to deliver results while being dealt the same hand that Nige had, with the added complexity of the impact that the upheaval has on the squad. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Why is it that whenever someone reacts to a defeat or poor performance, you and some others consider it "over-reaction"?

It is simply a reaction. That's the point of having a forum. Posters can criticise and praise.

You call it "over-reaction" simply because it challenges or contradicts your opinion/point-of-view/belief.

Bit like when Jon Lansdown said the fans "over-reacted" to the sacking of Pearson.

No, they didn't "over-react". They simply reacted.

He considered it an "over-reaction" because the blinkered/out-of-touch Lansdowns mis-read the room.

There are plenty of people of the opinion that Lansdown didn’t “mis-read the room” quick enough. 

Right or wrong regarding NP it’s time to get behind the team instead of constantly whinging, I remember being in mourning for months in ‘91 when Jordan left us, trust me, it’s not good for your health !!!!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Fair enough............but by March we will surely have an idea of our ongoing progress or otherwise?    We ARE talkin 3/4 months?

Well my opinion fwiw is this. If we had won today I think overall we played ok and enough to win. Tbf the last twenty minutes were all City and Norwich’s goal definitely came against the run of play. It felt to me that players were quite rigid in their positioning, in fact everyone except TGH (why oh why was he subbed) kept their positions to the point of inflexibility. Dickie who was my man of the match at the last home game, seemed to stick like glue behind the mid line today.  At the last home game he was taking the ball much further forward and really created some great play. Sykes is so much better on that right side and ok maybe LM may not have our experience of that.

If the play continues and losses likewise, it will mean one thing to me and that’s, that it does strongly suggest that it wasn’t NP that was the problem, it was everything that people here and elsewhere have suggested. Lack of investment and lack backing forPearson, from the board in a psychological sense. He knew they weren’t behind him. 

The board had to give the top six nonsense because they had to have an excuse to sack NP, to give the impression that he wasn’t achieving top six football .