IGNORED

Dear Jon, what have you done...

PFree

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Today, we were undone by 2 player cock ups which is out of the managers hands.

The same individual errors that hindered Pearson’s progress, you mean? Shame you didn’t gloss over those at the time you were calling for his head. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

JL is just one big joke. Yeh, the happy clappers will still support the Lansdownes, but most have had enough now.

This club needs to be sold asap. Fans have run out of patience. NP sacking was last straw for many. 

They have run their course now IMO. All eras come to an end and the events from sale of Scott (inevitable) via nest egg talk to sacking NP basically feel like the end.

• Like 3

In the city there's a thousand things I want to say to you
But whenever I approach you, you make me look a fool
I wanna say, I wanna tell you
About the young ideas
But you turn them into fears
In the city there's a thousand faces, all shining bright
And those golden faces are under twenty-five
They wanna say, they gonna tell ya
About the young idea
You better listen now you've said your bit-a, go!

And I know what you're thinking
You still think I am crap
But you'd better listen, man
Because the kids know where it's at

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

It certainly wasn’t dross under Nige - If you want real dross think back to when Nige was appointed - dross and a dysfunctional club with unfit players with no club culture is what he inherited.

Manning has inherited a far healthier club after Nige pretty much reorganised the entire set -up by creating a positive ethos.

Somewhere along the line Nige clashed/irritated the hierarchy and that’s was a huge factor in his dismissal with the smokescreen of “not doing as well as expected’ as the reason - nonsense imo.

This is the most sense you’ve ever typed! 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Graham76 said:

Everyone on here moaning about Jon Lansdown, but what about the exciting new Sporting Quarter being built! 

Hopefully that will turn to dust too. At least he will still have the Scott money in his trouser pockets as his legacy to BCFC.

12 hours ago, Top Robin said:

There were many of us, including me, that felt that he had taken us as far as he could and and it needed a younger manager with fresh ideas to push us on.

And that will take more than 4 games.

I've actually seen some signs that we are starting to play better in short periods.

And just to add, I think the last 2 games we have been really unlucky - should have at least drawn with a top Southampton side away, bar a top strike.

Today, we were undone by 2 player cock ups which is out of the managers hands.

I'm quite positive about the future.

But we're playing worse for longer periods.

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The nepotism thing isn't uncommon in family or corporate businesses of course but this is particularly bad.

The appointment always looked to be about Steve wanting to decide upon everything without actually having to do the job of running the club himself which would require him to be physically present a lot with the accompanying negative implications for his personal tax status, so he put in someone he knows will allow him to do just that.

The mistake Jon makes IMHO is in having a public image when he should leave that to the manager and quietly get on with his job behind the scenes other than delivering a speech once a year at the AGM.

For anyone unhappy at JL being in charge as SL's proxy please remember that if Jon wasn't in place it could be smarmy Mr Ashton sitting there, spending money like it was going out of fashion in order to have another few dozen players or "golf clubs in the bag" as he does his wheeling and dealing with other people's money.

37 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

For anyone unhappy at JL being in charge as SL's proxy please remember that if Jon wasn't in place it could be smarmy Mr Ashton sitting there, spending money like it was going out of fashion in order to have another few dozen players or "golf clubs in the bag" as he does his wheeling and dealing with other people's money.

In fairness, we are on our third CEO since Ashton went.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Take a big deep breath and remember this forum is not indicative of the fan base. It’s all very exciting for those on here this evening as Christmas has come early, a city loss

Ashton Gate deadly quiet and lacking any positive morale, fans booing at the final whilstle. 

Yea, otib clearly isn't indicative of the wider fan base 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 4

15 hours ago, glynriley said:

If that’s true, I’d say you never did. If you’re a dyed in the wool football fan, you always care. I hate losing, it pisses me off.

My weekend is ruined, I won’t cheer up until the next win. I’ve been watching for a long time and I actually don’t like where we are as a club, or what we’ve become, but I care, and I wish I didn’t sometimes. 

I used to feel like you, but luckily for me, after years of following City and the almost perpetual mediocrity dished out has pretty much made me immune now.

My biggest problem is actually being arsed to turn up to matches now, in spite of having a ST.  I forced myself to go against Norwich and during the match I was constantly wishing I hadn’t bothered.

Given the unbelievably flat atmosphere around the ground, I wouldn’t mind betting there were plenty more feeling like me.  I just found it impossible to get excited about anything and I feel completely disconnected with the club, purely down to the mugs running it.

What a complete cock-up they’ve made of things and as it stands, there’s no way I’ll be renewing next season.  Enough is enough and if you can’t get some enjoyment or satisfaction from watching football, what’s the point in going?!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Repeating previous mistakes.

Undermine and sack the clubs previous proper manager in Steve Cotterill.

Replace him with a young coach that can be influenced and controlled by those above him.

Young coach creates a team that plays tippy tappy rubbish with no end product.

With the help of Mr Ashton acquires lots of players with similar abilities which creates problems as lots of them do not get to play and it also blocks development of the young players at the club.

On the plus side the pitch size is adjusted and the grass cut to the correct length.

Nigel Pearson is a level above Steve Cotterill and clearly Knows what he is doing.

To sack him after he cleared up the almighty mess made by those running the club is disgraceful.

Whilst he was able to change everything for the better up to his level of responsibility he was unable to influence or change those above him.

When you keep doing the same things you keep getting the same results.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Give Manning a bit of time and we might get a bit of excitement, you can’t expect to change 5 years of dross after just 4 games. The pessimism and negativity on this forum is unbelievable 

I guess others would say the same about the inexplicable levels of optimism and positivity on this forum, given that Manning has only delivered four points out of a possible twelve.

Time will tell whether the Lansdown's gamble was right and Manning can deliver. But the question is how much time?

First, it was he'll deliver this season and now some people are suggesting two or more windows. Constantly moving the goalposts will get us nowhere.

What are your milestones and timeline for determining whether Manning has delivered the objective? And more importantly, what, in your opinion, is that objective?

Unlike Lansdown and Tinnion, be very specific if you can.

• Like 5

I feel the problems lie deep at out club but it all stems from the top. I left AG on Sunday feeling exactly the same as when I left last Saturday despite the fact that one of those games ended in a win and the other in a defeat. I just don't feel entertained anymore at games. Yes I'm off my seat when we score of course but the rest of the game it's just meh, stagnant and boring and so predictable. 

I don't know who had most touches of the ball on Sunday, maybe Davefevs can tell me, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't either Dickie or Vyner. Most of that came from them playing " to me...to you".  I know it's the modern possession game but I hate it.

I don't believe JL is a bad person, I also believe he has the clubs best interests at heart. 

I also think that unless you're an exceptionally talented person (Very few people fall in this bracket), you require specific experience to hold certain positions. Even if you fill positions around you with talented people to delegate important roles, you need the experience and nouse to know who to listen to. 

That's where I believe the issue is. Genenuinely knowledgeable and competent people have been getting overruled/undermined by people who don't have the same ability or knowledge required because they are trusted, part of the establishment, comfortable to work with.

If you want to make the top, hire people who have worked there and understand what is required and be prepared to listen to tough advice. If it's going wrong and you need to make a change, it should become obvious and you can act. If you hire people with less experience/ knowledge, but more than you have, and they are telling you things are being done incorrectly, then be careful. Raise their/your concerns with other more experienced people.

Less experienced people can work within this framework (e.g LM) as talent has to be given a chance, but they need that experience above them to guide them/be able to impart valid advice when asked for. I worry that is not the case here.

Edited by Red from afar
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, marmite said:

I feel the problems lie deep at out club but it all stems from the top. I left AG on Sunday feeling exactly the same as when I left last Saturday despite the fact that one of those games ended in a win and the other in a defeat. I just don't feel entertained anymore at games. Yes I'm off my seat when we score of course but the rest of the game it's just meh, stagnant and boring and so predictable. 

I don't know who had most touches of the ball on Sunday, maybe Davefevs can tell me, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't either Dickie or Vyner. Most of that came from them playing " to me...to you".  I know it's the modern possession game but I hate it.

You don’t do surprise!

Dickie 109 passes, Vyner 107, Pring 89, Tanner 66….next best James 52

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You don’t do surprise!

Dickie 109 passes, Vyner 107, Pring 89, Tanner 66….next best James 52

And any combination of Dickie to Vyner or vice versa about 70 times. 

The point is having watched the best sides play “possession football” they don’t do multiple passes between their centre backs. They do play the ball around at the back to draw the opposition forward and then either play through, round or even over them into the gaps created. We don’t - we just tap the ball between defenders while the opposition have all 11 players behind the ball. No wonder that both achieves nothing and is not exciting anyone!

• Like 2

On 03/12/2023 at 17:24, Ecko said:

Yeah, but the injuries are the fault of Pearson and Co. We're Bristol City, we've never had injuries before. 

Fast forward a week  Naismith is out for 2 months. Obviously it's Pearsons fault. 

These ******* in charge, JL & BT are the fault for the mess. 

Maybe Eddie Howe should get the sack at Newcastle all those injuries mind. 

55 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

And any combination of Dickie to Vyner or vice versa about 70 times. 

The point is having watched the best sides play “possession football” they don’t do multiple passes between their centre backs. They do play the ball around at the back to draw the opposition forward and then either play through, round or even over them into the gaps created. We don’t - we just tap the ball between defenders while the opposition have all 11 players behind the ball. No wonder that both achieves nothing and is not exciting anyone!

That's exactly what I was saying on Sunday and it beggars belief he substituted Sykes to which he could of switched him to the right hand side where he's been most effective this season. That area needed attacking.