IGNORED

Manning's post match interview...

spudski

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

You're being a bit selective there IMO.

Swansea we also scored 2 at, start of 2nd Half and Stoke likewise start of 1st.

If you're looking at first 20 mins sample size we were shot dominant or at least ahead in the first 20 of the Stoke games.

Rtoehram maybe, I'll check and Leeds likewise.

I was going 15 minutes

If we extend it to 20 then Ipswich and Hull as well.

But I wasn't saying "we always started halves slow" I was correcting the false statement that it wasn't an issue before. Yes, we occasionally got goals at the start of a half too, but it was still less frequently than we were conceding them.

Rotherham we didn't concede but were fortunate not to.

17 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

I was going 15 minutes

If we extend it to 20 then Ipswich and Hull as well.

But I wasn't saying "we always started halves slow" I was correcting the false statement that it wasn't an issue before. Yes, we occasionally got goals at the start of a half too, but it was still less frequently than we were conceding them.

Rotherham we didn't concede but were fortunate not to.

We've conceded 4 in 4 games in the first 20 mins of halves, scoring 0.

The spread was much more even in pre Manning. Feel free to check.

NP- First 20 mins of halves.

8 Goals For, 5 Against.

Fleming

1 Goal For, 0 Against.

Manning

0 Goals For, 4 Against.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We've conceded 4 in 4 games in the first 20 mins of halves, scoring 0.

The spread was much more even in pre Manning. Feel free to check.

We have, 1 worldie, and one absolute howler of an own goal from Vyner

2 goals that are the types you see once or twice a season.

For someone so keen on data, you seem loathe to discount anomalies.

11 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

We have, 1 worldie, and one absolute howler of an own goal from Vyner

2 goals that are the types you see once or twice a season.

For someone so keen on data, you seem loathe to discount anomalies.

Shall we wait to compare until it's been 14 games under Manning to compare.

I'm happy to do that, unsure how we should treat the Fleming game.

2 to 0 then. We just seem to start slowly in halves under Manning- it isn't an emergency but perhaps needs a look.

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I do have less sympathy with the hand he’s been dealt. Liam himself admits he lives and breathes football. He’s seen us twice - minimum - in the flesh before taking over plus all the scouting reports. He’d have watched lots of games of ours, he’d have spoken to people in the game and I’m pretty sure he’d have been smart enough to as a minimum have a cursory check in on the forum or social media to gauge the fanbase mood. He’d also have heard Jon and Brian’s announcements about the reason for sacking in the week before he took charge.

Does he have unrealistic expectation from the board in public pronouncement? Yep. Does he have a squad that don’t fit his preferred style? Also yep.

But, vitally, if he’s as clued up and football obsessive as he says he is, he’d have known that “hand” - or at least had a very good idea of it - before taking the job.

The shitshow is all of Jon and Brian’s making. But nobody held a gun to his head and told him to take the job.

No indeed. And I know he won't want a sacking on his CV, (but what Manager doesn't), but even if he only lasts 6mths it's a hell of a payout £££. 

Obviously for someone as driven him, and indeed most managers, it's the winning that matters, but as with Pearson when you are released the money certainly softens the blow. 

In short, no nobody forced him to take the job but if we are going to offer it then why not.

On 03/12/2023 at 18:02, petehinton said:

Yeah, thought the same. Has said similar with the post too about us “having a history of starting halves slowly” - we don’t. Not this season anyway.  Hopefully not a sign of how he is after losses, because I think he’s spoken well with the media thus far.

Also went straight down the tunnel at FT, after lapping up the crowd on the pitch after we beat Boro. Cannot stand managers that do that, can’t have it both ways. 

He'll be gone this time next year-

That's if he's lasts until then.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

3.5 year contract remember.

All smacks of the opportunity to go on a rebuild and to right the 'wrongs' that he inherited. 🙄

(That doesn't necessarily follow that he would get a 3.5 year payoff, depending on the detail of the contract).

This is what I find jarring. Most of us could see what Nige was building; a rebuild wasn’t and isn’t needed, but it already sounds like that’s what’s going to happen. 

A run of wins and finishing in the play offs and no one (well, not many) will care of course, especially if we get promotion. 

Equally if this losing run continues to Christmas then there will be pressure on Lansdown to sack him much sooner than expected. 

Probably one thing we could all agree is that it’s going to be fascinating to see how the next few weeks and months play out. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

3.5 year contract remember.

All smacks of the opportunity to go on a rebuild and to right the 'wrongs' that he inherited. 🙄

(That doesn't necessarily follow that he would get a 3.5 year payoff, depending on the detail of the contract).

I don’t think that JL would have the nerve of SL and give the manager an extended time to come good.. unlike his dad he’s already shown how weak he is under intense scrutiny since sacking Nige, he’ll need someone to take the wrap. SL never flinched in his support for LJ giving him far too much time, JL is not that strong.

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, One Team said:

This is what I find jarring. Most of us could see what Nige was building; a rebuild wasn’t and isn’t needed, but it already sounds like that’s what’s going to happen. 

A run of wins and finishing in the play offs and no one (well, not many) will care of course, especially if we get promotion. 

Equally if this losing run continues to Christmas then there will be pressure on Lansdown to sack him much sooner than expected. 

Probably one thing we could all agree is that it’s going to be fascinating to see how the next few weeks and months play out. 

With games against Huddersfield, Blackburn, Sunderland and Hull coming up then there is a real possibility that we could be on the end of a fee defeats. 

However even if it ends up being 6 defeats on the trott I can't see them sacking him.

3 minutes ago, FNQ said:

I don’t think that JL would have the nerve of SL and give the manager an extended time to come good.. unlike his dad he’s already shown how weak he is under intense scrutiny since sacking Nige, he’ll need someone to take the wrap. SL never flinched in his support for LJ giving him far too much time, JL is not that strong.

Interesting point and something I had not considered when making my post above.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

With games against Huddersfield, Blackburn, Sunderland and Hull coming up then there is a real possibility that we could be on the end of a fee defeats. 

However even if it ends up being 6 defeats on the trott I can't see them sacking him.

Interesting point and something I had not considered when making my post above.

Six defeats on the trot would make it pretty toxic at the Gate though, but I take your point.

I think LJ presided over our worst ever losing run (8 games?) and Lansdown stuck with him. I am also pretty sure it was his around that time he had his infamous interview with Twentyman (“it’s my club”). 

• Like 1

On 04/12/2023 at 00:06, CityReds said:

Never say never as they say but I feel it’s been mentioned a lot by BT & JL that that level of spending won’t ever be repeated.

Absolutely spot on. SL has made it clear too on numerous occasions. During LM’s first interview he said the first place you are going to look for players is in the Academy. One of the strong points for bringing LM in is because of his experience of working with young players (academy). JL indicated that they ‘might’ make the odd signing if absolutely necessary. BT also has stated that all teams in the club should be playing the same way so a player from the academy should be able to slot straight in and know his job.

On 04/12/2023 at 00:17, Cityboy1954 said:

Spot on early days but is he dwarf no 2.

I’m seeing the similarities to LJ and one of my major concerns is ‘over coaching’ and ‘over complicating’. If LM wants things to work he has to majorly concentrate on the human aspect, mind set, man management and compliment that with the coaching. If he’s too focused on the coaching and the players aren’t able to buy in for whatever reason then the whole set up will become sterile and the performances will visibly start to regress.

I’m beginning to get niggled by the robotic tech speak and the last time I felt that way was when LJ was at the helm.

20 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No but he had installed a culture of being hard to beat. Whilst it seems quite simple to expect Players to care about losing games it's actually not that easy to implement. We had a team that were getting angry about conceding goals and losing games. I liked that. 

The next step in the process was the winning culture. 

Mannings comments weren't about a winning culture, they were about a defensive mentality. 

We're not allowed to compare LJ and LM on here but if we were I'd suggest that's something LJ would have also done. 

I really do think we are seeing things the same way. I actually don’t want to be right because I’m really concerned about what that would mean for our longer term Championship survival, let alone talking about ‘Top End’!

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

It wouldn’t have - Boy Blunder owned the decision. Why would anyone else other than SL be involved?

Ego stroking and keeping one’s own powder dry. 

16 minutes ago, One Team said:

Six defeats on the trot would make it pretty toxic at the Gate though, but I take your point.

I think LJ presided over our worst ever losing run (8 games?) and Lansdown stuck with him. I am also pretty sure it was his around that time he had his infamous interview with Twentyman (“it’s my club”). 

I think the other factor not taken into account is that LJ/the Johnsons were particularly close to the Lansdowns. It’s always more difficult to sack a friend, which is why you should never appoint an echo chamber. 

Manning doesn’t have that closeness. I think a more pertinent example is Holden. Wonderful human, nice guy, shit manager so he went quickly. If Manning presides over runs like Holden did I’d say he’ll go the same way 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, One Team said:

Yes you would think so but the reality will be different, a few half heated shouts then business as normal.

As a fan base we appear to be apathetic.

There is a lot of noise and bluster on this forum which fails to materialise on matchday.

• Flames 1

40 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Yes you would think so but the reality will be different, a few half heated shouts then business as normal.

There is a lot of noise and bluster on this forum which fails to materialise on matchday.

I get what you mean but to my earlier point there was booing, chants of “Nigel Pearson’s cider army” and “Jon Lansdown what a manual manipulator” when the Boro game went 2 - 2. This wasn’t just a couple of people either. 

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Could be a bit different this time if it goes wrong IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

Absolutely spot on. SL has made it clear too on numerous occasions. During LM’s first interview he said the first place you are going to look for players is in the Academy. One of the strong points for bringing LM in is because of his experience of working with young players (academy). JL indicated that they ‘might’ make the odd signing if absolutely necessary. BT also has stated that all teams in the club should be playing the same way so a player from the academy should be able to slot straight in and know his job.

Just on this, I looked on Wiki this morning at Liams record at MK Dons and Oxford. Noting it’s not always the most reliable source, based on the squad lists I couldn’t see one player who he’d brought through the academy to play any more than 1-2 games-and there were only a couple of them. I can’t believe that’s the case but can anyone clarify as there’s a difference between working in an academy and using an academy.

Edited by Silvio Dante

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could be a bit different this time if it goes wrong IMO.

Ive already seen some bits and pieces around those who wanted NP to stay and those who wanted him to go. Just words nothing else but feelings are there.  
Sure I read on here that it’s actually come to blows already somewhere?   
Can see it getting very toxic if it starts to go south after the next few games.   Hopefully it doesn’t come to that and we get some results! 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Ive already seen some bits and pieces around those who wanted NP to stay and those who wanted him to go. Just words nothing else but feelings are there.  
Sure I read on here that it’s actually come to blows already somewhere?   
Can see it getting very toxic if it starts to go south after the next few games.   Hopefully it doesn’t come to that and we get some results! 

At the Boro game when the Lansdown chanting started a group of fans who didn’t like it started hurling abuse, which was met with equal/worse back. Nothing physical apart from gesticulation and language, mainly as they couldn’t get to each other.

Really unpleasant if we start turning on each other. 

This was when it went 2 - 2! 

If we go on a sustained losing run it will absolutely get toxic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, One Team said:

At the Boro game when the Lansdown chanting started a group of fans who didn’t like it started hurling abuse, which was met with equal/worse back. Nothing physical apart from gesticulation and language, mainly as they couldn’t get to each other.

Really unpleasant if we start turning on each other. 

This was when it went 2 - 2! 

If we go on a sustained losing run it will absolutely get toxic. 

"But but the forum doesn't reflect the fan base".

That is disappointing to hear but perhaps not surprising sadly.

I think it does reflect the wider fanbase on 2 levels, firstly the dismay and anger then the split in opinion.

No amount of soft messaging from the club or podcasts, columns will sway a wider opinion if things go South.

Manning and his honeymoon period seems to be over! Not really fair on him but the circs of how it came to pass.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

"But but the forum doesn't reflect the fan base".

That is disappointing to hear but perhaps not surprising sadly.

I think it does reflect the wider fanbase on 2 levels, firstly the dismay and anger then the split in opinion.

No amount of soft messaging from the club or podcasts, columns will sway a wider opinion if things go South.

Manning and his honeymoon period seems to be over! Not really fair on him but the circs of how it came to pass.

I can't see any in ground backlash myself Mr P.

I don't recall what i'd consider a "toxic" environment even when Johnson went on a record losing run and Lansdown senior basically told fans to **** off.

We are more likely to see empty seats, which when you consider the vast majority of which are already paid for, possibly won't trouble the leadershit.

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

I can't see any in ground backlash myself Mr P.

I don't recall what i'd consider a "toxic" environment even when Johnson went on a record losing run and Lansdown senior basically told fans to **** off.

We are more likely to see empty seats, which when you consider the vast majority of which are already paid for, possibly won't trouble the leadershit.

Could well be right Natch.

Yeah the bedsheets and the odd attempted banner aside I don't really remember much.

Apathy could reign, as you say people not bothering either to show or make much noise- Sunday was flat as anything and prior to then it wasn't even such a bad start.

Next season if a number don't renew could be interesting but until then if pre-paid yeah why bother in the short term.

16 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

He'll be gone this time next year-

That's if he's lasts until then.

To be honest 12 months is probably an average time for a manager in the Championship at present. Michael Duff got 19 games at Swansea and they're 18th, which is about where I expected them to be this season.

By the way if anyone needs cheering up, check out LJ's last few post-match interviews at Fleetwood. 3-0, 3-0 and 4-0 in last 3 games. Plenty of BS Bingo as usual, 'Box Entries', 'Pitch Personalities' etc etc but he's also now started using 'aware' as a Verb! As in a player 'should aware us of the injury'.

Still head and shoulders above LM :)