IGNORED

Manning's post match interview...

spudski

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

We were shite before The Lansdowns with crap ground that we owned. We are now shite with a decent ground that we do not own. I agree the culture at Bristol City FC and Bristol In general is of utter failure and mediocrity. However Pearson fought that which led to the Lansdowns hating him 

We start halves slowly with him in charge. There is an obvious reason. His me to you to you to me football is slow. So starting slowly is ******* inbuilt!

NAIL CLATTERED ON THE HEAD!

Yep. It is laughable. ******* LJ again. ****. 

As old eastender says below. The one ridiculously obvious question not asked by a pleb interviewer. 

Edited that for you.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, One Team said:

Oh dear. 

I do wish he hadn’t come out with that cod shit. Whatever you think of the football at times one thing Nige did superbly was create a positive culture through his man management.

This comment is absolute rubbish and really won’t land well with many. 

I was starting to warm to him a bit at the Hen and Chicken forum as well! 

Don't think that comment will go down well with players either. I believe  the players respected Nigel and Liam needs to earn that respect  not by trashing the previous manager but building on the work that Nigel started. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's an observation of mine, that Manning has a whole plethora of words and answers, very much ' Coaching talk' that can be rinsed and spun in interviews. 

He doesn't take time to evaluate his answers...they are a gattling gun of responses, that sound 'intelligent', but when taken into context like today, will shoot you him the foot. 

Sadly there are a lot of Ashton's and LJs in his approach to responses. 

Don’t necessarily disagree mate - it’s a bad answer but perhaps he needs some time to find his feet, on and off the pitch. 

Interview’s always hard for any manager when you lose, easy when you win.

Fair enough for you to point it out and discuss calmly, but feel he is start to get some unfair stick from some, too soon, IMO.

10 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Sorry. I’m a Nige fan. But the idea he installed a culture of winning is demonstrably not true. Culture of hard work. Culture of togetherness. Culture of good people. 100%. But we only won less than one out of every three games when Nige was manager. 

Agree. I didn’t see anything wrong with Manning’s interview. He’s rightly p’ed off that the players have thrown away 3 points initially and then 1 point at the death. It’s soft from the players and if he was happy about that I would be more worried. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I said when he joined that his post-match interviews are gonna be a tough watch.  I haven’t seen tonight’s but I think you are right that they are from a standard(ish) template and won’t vary much, win, lose or draw.  That’s tough for fans to listen to.  And if you deviate a bit you start running into unfamiliar territory and it might come out badly.

Which imo, is disrespectful to the fan base and those that are asking the questions. 

It's a template, as you say. Coaching words that can be constructed into any football scenario. 

Just breath, listen and contemplate a considered answer Liam. 

It'll serve him better. 

Sadly it's already made me suspicious of him. 

When interviewing people for jobs, if they responded this way, I'd automatically be on my guard As more often than not it was a bluff. 

Which makes me question whether at interview...the interviewers were bluffed. As we all know they have a history of making poor decisions. 

Imo...Manning ticks a box,in that way, that they like...as with MA and LJ. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Don’t necessarily disagree mate - it’s a bad answer but perhaps he needs some time to find his feet, on and off the pitch. 

Interview’s always hard for any manager when you lose, easy when you win.

Fair enough for you to point it out and discuss calmly, but feel he is start to get some unfair stick from some, too soon, IMO.

Time will tell I guess mate. 

As others have pointed out though...it was an observation from previous tenures, that his responses are like this. And that they may not go down well. 

We know our fan base doesn't like unnecessary corporate or coaching speak full of terminology. 

• Like 1

This is the time of goodwill to all men. Please give Manning a chance in the job of managing/coaching the club.

I'm going to post the above on the Portsmouth forum nearer Christmas in the hope they come in and take him off our hands like they did with Pulis years ago. Hopefully, we will soon be spared of this turgid football Manning and the Lansdowns have foisted upon us.

11 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I'm amazed that some people genuinely criticise managers for things like "sounding too boring in interviews" and "not clapping the fans enough". 

It bugs me when a manager is out there giving it the big one when you win but then just scuttle off when we lose.   Either come out after every game, win, lost or draw, or don’t come out at all.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, spudski said:

...' It's a mindset and Culture that needs to be changed'...regarding winning. 

WTF...seriously? 

So Nige hadn't installed that? **** off.

I know lots of people like his talk...but I'm find him just waffling coaching spiel when asked questions. 

Doesn't take time to think of answers...it's all embedded. 

Over time he's gonna come out worse than LJ for it imo. 

I don't mind his football...but he's already grating on me in interviews. 

The biggest problem with the club interviews are the awful questions he’s asked. It means the interview doesn’t work as a piece of meaningful communication. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Sorry. I’m a Nige fan. But the idea he installed a culture of winning is demonstrably not true. Culture of hard work. Culture of togetherness. Culture of good people. 100%. But we only won less than one out of every three games when Nige was manager. 

Shhhh, you’re going to upset some people on here with facts like that

19 minutes ago, lenred said:

It bugs me when a manager is out there giving it the big one when you win but then just scuttle off when we lose.   Either come out after every game, win, lost or draw, or don’t come out at all.  

He did come out onto the pitch at the end of the game today though!?

Edited by Loosey Boy
  • Like 1

Just now, Loosey Boy said:

He did come out onto the pitch at the end of the game?

I stood and waited and didn’t see him come around with the players like he did against Boro.  Fair play if he did.   My mincers are even worse than I thought! Was more a generic comment though anyway for now, but apologies if I missed it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

The biggest problem with the club interviews are the awful questions he’s asked. It means the interview doesn’t work as a piece of meaningful communication. 

Yet at the Hen and Chicken the questions were even worse, yet Manning came across as slightly better. 

I'll give him his due... He doesn't hide. 

In fact, it at that forum he made the three wise monkeys look totally inept...they were embarrassing by comparison. 

I want Manning to do well...I honestly do. 

But so far he hasn't helped himself in a few situations. 

Sadly polarised by the boards decisions and quotes. 

10 minutes ago, lenred said:

I stood and waited and didn’t see him come around with the players like he did against Boro.  Fair play if he did.   My mincers are even worse than I thought! Was more a generic comment though anyway for now, but apologies if I missed it. 

13 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

I didn’t see him do it tbh, at the least he certainly didn’t go round the ground as he did against Boro. Not that that bothers me tbh, but don’t do it for wins and not losses. 

28 minutes ago, spudski said:

Which makes me question whether at interview...the interviewers were bluffed. As we all know they have a history of making poor decisions. 

Imo...Manning ticks a box,in that way, that they like...as with MA and LJ. 

I think this is probably the biggest fear that causes some the negative reactions to his appointment. The history of our appointments have left a lot to be desired and have often followed a random change in style and seemingly lacking a sense of continuity. Fans are naturally worried this is yet another rinse and repeat. Fingers crossed this guy finds his feet soon. My feeling is that he seemed a little unsure of himself in todays interview which may be down to lack of experience and just simple disappointment. I suppose the fact that LJ seemed to struggle in later interviews when his tactical speak wasn’t cutting it anymore with the fanbase brings out those fears that is Manning the real deal or will he prove another text book manager appointment that’s been picked because he’s on trend as far as the owners are concerned. Only time will tell, but it’s very early days in what has been an emotional time for the fans, so we gotta give him his chance. Yes I’m trying to be patient but it does get more difficult with every season of false dawns! 

I suppose he hadn’t lost two in a row, the latest one in the last minute to a piece of dire defending, at the Hen and Chickens  - an altogether less stressful and frustrating situation. 

Anyway, it’s early days. I’ve said before that I didn’t enjoy NP’s football very much but I wouldn’t have sacked him. The board should have read the room and realised that enough fans were behind him. But it’s far too early to judge LM. I actually thought we were superb for 15 minutes before half time and we could have cleaned Norwich out.

And an ordinary Stoke side did the same to NP as an ordinary Norwich side did to LM today.

We’re just not very good. We didn’t strengthen enough in the summer. Poor from the board after the sale of AS. We’re at least two players short. NP was left short. And now LM is finding out what it’s like having to bring on AM and HC. 

Edited by firstdivision
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, ray savino said:

I think this is probably the biggest fear that causes some the negative reactions to his appointment. The history of our appointments have left a lot to be desired and have often followed a random change in style and seemingly lacking a sense of continuity. Fans are naturally worried this is yet another rinse and repeat. Fingers crossed this guy finds his feet soon. My feeling is that he seemed a little unsure of himself in todays interview which may be down to lack of experience and just simple disappointment. I suppose the fact that LJ seemed to struggle in later interviews when his tactical speak wasn’t cutting it anymore with the fanbase brings out those fears that is Manning the real deal or will he prove another text book manager appointment that’s been picked because he’s on trend as far as the owners are concerned. Only time will tell, but it’s very early days in what has been an emotional time for the fans, so we gotta give him his chance. Yes I’m trying to be patient but it does get more difficult with every season of false dawns! 

I'm willing to give him a chance on the pitch, but as others have pointed out...his interview spiel is just this, and has been at other clubs. 

Given MA, LJ and the boards silly comments re being a squad capable of promotion, and quoting the likes of Luton etc etc...its all wearing thin. 

He's between a rock and a hard place in many ways. 

If he's clever... he'll take stock. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

I think I saw him out there. I don't think he went straight down the tunnel as some have suggested.

He's hardly going to go over to the fans all enthusiastic,  we bleeding lost.

I feel for the guy tbh.

It isn't his fault that SL, JL and Tinnion are all crackers.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

A bit of balance here I think - firstly Manning has never managed in the Championship which imo gives him some leeway but because of that probably doesn’t appreciate what a healthy club he’s joined but he’s never been under such scrutiny at other clubs previously which might be why his interviews are……different……….:cool2:

The players he’s inherited are as fit as they’ve ever been. He has an abundance of youngsters plus experienced players to select from and with some senior guys to return from injury.

Its understandable that he’d want to employ his own ideas and strategies which we all know will take time and as others have said we all need to give him that.

Lets see where we are in 10 games before start crucifying him.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A bit of balance here I think - firstly Manning has never managed in the Championship which imo gives him some leeway but because of that probably doesn’t appreciate what a healthy club he’s joined but he’s never been under such scrutiny at other clubs previously which might be why his interviews are……different……….:cool2:

The players he’s inherited are as fit as they’ve ever been. He has an abundance of youngsters plus experienced players to select from and with some senior guys to return from injury.

Its understandable that he’d want to employ his own ideas and strategies which we all know will take time and as others have said we all need to give him that.

Lets see where we are in 10 games before start crucifying him.

10, and I wont wait one second longer.

Grrrrrr  kill  kill kill

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, spudski said:

...' It's a mindset and Culture that needs to be changed'...regarding winning. 

WTF...seriously? 

So Nige hadn't installed that? **** off.

I know lots of people like his talk...but I'm find him just waffling coaching spiel when asked questions. 

Doesn't take time to think of answers...it's all embedded. 

Over time he's gonna come out worse than LJ for it imo. 

I don't mind his football...but he's already grating on me in interviews. 

I agree the culture was great under Pearson but is it really bad that he’s suggesting it could be better? Whilst you had Naismith/King come out with interviews showing the mentality we have crumbled a lot in games and lost leads, which has carried over into this season under Pearson. This is no criticism to what Pearson has done but if Manning can improve it, who are we to complain?

11 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I agree the culture was great under Pearson but is it really bad that he’s suggesting it could be better? Whilst you had Naismith/King come out with interviews showing the mentality we have crumbled a lot in games and lost leads, which has carried over into this season under Pearson. This is no criticism to what Pearson has done but if Manning can improve it, who are we to complain?

Most of the crumbling was when we were still in intensive care and recovery. Stoke was the one inexplicable under NP this season.

Need we be reminded of what NP inherited...

*Many players who had run their race.

*No fans as nationwide.

*Injury list longer than we'd ever seen it.

*Morale of the side on the floor.

Etc etc.

The collapse now, sure it can happen to anyone but from a solid base such as this isn't a good start.

Will check to 2022-23 and collapses. Do we include in these draw where 1 up or not really?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

If that's the case, then as I've suggested his wording should be considered, not ' template'. 

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Yeah, thought the same. Has said similar with the post too about us “having a history of starting halves slowly” - we don’t. Not this season anyway.  Hopefully not a sign of how he is after losses, because I think he’s spoken well with the media thus far.

Also went straight down the tunnel at FT, after lapping up the crowd on the pitch after we beat Boro. Cannot stand managers that do that, can’t have it both ways. 

Just like LJ?

2 hours ago, beaverface said:

I posted several weeks ago about the club going down the "rinse and repeat scenario" again, whereby we recruit players for big money, on large and long contracts.

I can see a situation where we blow the nest egg, hit the limit on wages, and find ourselves up the river when they realise Manning isn't up for it!!

I want Manning to succeed, I really do, but I don't want to be having to go through another 3 years of cutting our cloth to balance the books again 😫 

My worry is that we continue on this trend and then we turn to signing expensive players to turn things around. Back to the LJ days basically. And then them players turn out to be flops and they don't change our fortunes. 

• Like 1