IGNORED

Manning's post match interview...

spudski

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

@Silvio Dante just clear evidence that inside 4 games the narrative for the change is being shifted.

Honestly says “4 points from 3 games against 3 strong sides would be good”. I have news for you mate, this is the Championship, it’s like this every week, the next 3 won’t be any easier.

The “culture” stuff was absolute nonsense too, even those on here who criticised Pearson would accept we batted 99 times out of 100.

What we missed then (especially after selling Scott) is quality & we miss it now.

This sort of patronising nonsense won’t wash & no surprise that Dave Barton’s questions were abysmal, as usual.

Quality and numbers what with the recurring injuries.

That competition, that ability to change in and out of game is vital especially when you have a small squad.

I said on appointment falling below 1.4 PPG would be a bad indicator. Currently on 1 PPG.

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I posted not long after he joined that Liams style in interviews wouldn’t be a plus. It’s pretty much monotonous and not engaging (ironically by all accounts he was far better at the fans forum), and in a situation where he needs every advantage he can to get the fans on side, it’s unfortunate. However, if you’re winning games and/or playing well, it wouldn’t matter.

But we’re not. It’s turgid. And it’s poor football primarily. For Liam to throw in a piece around “culture” and to stomp down the tunnel tells me that he knows he’s under more pressure than a man who has played 4 games should reasonably be. But that’s the scenario. 

The first question is total bullshit, however. Framing it as a game we should have had three points from is nonsense, and Liam claiming we’d have taken 4 points from 3 games is also ridiculous.

I don’t care about interview style. But take some sodding responsibility and have some realism.

Yes but did you see who he was up against! :laugh:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

@Silvio Dante just clear evidence that inside 4 games the narrative for the change is being shifted.

Honestly says “4 points from 3 games against 3 strong sides would be good”. I have news for you mate, this is the Championship, it’s like this every week, the next 3 won’t be any easier.

The “culture” stuff was absolute nonsense too, even those on here who criticised Pearson would accept we batted 99 times out of 100.

What we missed then (especially after selling Scott) is quality & we miss it now.

This sort of patronising nonsense won’t wash & no surprise that Dave Barton’s questions were abysmal, as usual.

Yep, overall the start of 4 points from 4 games is relegation form, with broadly performances to match - as yet there’s not been an uptick in results or performance, in fact it’s got worse. I don’t think he’s stupid and he must know that hence coming out with what seems a bizarrely constructed argument today.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, spudski said:

...' It's a mindset and Culture that needs to be changed'...regarding winning. 

WTF...seriously? 

So Nige hadn't installed that? **** off.

I know lots of people like his talk...but I'm find him just waffling coaching spiel when asked questions. 

Doesn't take time to think of answers...it's all embedded. 

Over time he's gonna come out worse than LJ for it imo. 

I don't mind his football...but he's already grating on me in interviews. 

Yes exactly. We had the bloke who built the culture here. The fan’s overwhelmingly backed him even though the Lansdowns and the board didn’t. 

We have started halves slowly since Manning has been here. 

It is not rocket science to work out where the problems lay with a shift backward to what we were. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, spudski said:

WTF...seriously? 

I know lots of people like his talk...but I'm find him just waffling coaching spiel when asked questions. 

"We are in the early stages of what we are trying to build here "    Says it all for me.  Patience young Jedi?

40 minutes ago, redsocks said:

Sorry to say today's defeat was down to manning.players playing out of position players in the team who should not be and his tactics are shocking.i hope it improves because the football were watching under manning is awful.

Yep considering he has been here for sooooooo long.........it's a disgrace?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yup. Posted similar the other day. He’s no doubt and by all accounts a good coach. Jury definitely out on if he’s a good manager.

But according to JL what we needed to 'kick on' was a coach who worked on the grass to organise our Top 6 squad, not a manager. Apparently Tins can do the rest. Deluded unfortunately. 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

You are just bitter that Pearson has gone and you will never like anything that  Manning says or does.

Haha, go and read Spud’s posts over Nige’s reign.

If you’d labelled that accusation at others, even me, I’d get your point…but not Spudski.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

He really comes over in that interview as so out of his depth, bit sad to listen to really, 

Listing to him I can imagine him in a few games time starting to talk about box entires to justify why we played well in another loss, 

It dose have the feel of the bad times coming back sadly

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Looks like getting the excuses in early: 'nothing to with me guv, the last guy left behind a poor mindset and culture'.

Sorry Liam but you signed up to the proposition that we were going to play aggressive front foot football and had a top end squad. There was no mention of the need for a culture change.

If you have now decided that you were sold a false prospectus take it up with the hierarchy and don't blame it on the players. Motivating players is hard, demotivating them is easy.

Some great points here. 

What on Earth the players must think after saying that I don’t know. 

All Manning needed to do was build on the foundations laid by Nige. Rubbishing the past is not a great look at all and would no doubt be taken personally by some of the players. 

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, winsaw said:

He really comes over in that interview as so out of his depth, bit sad to listen to really, 

Listing to him I can imagine him in a few games time starting to talk about box entires to justify why we played well in another loss, 

It dose have the feel of the bad times coming back sadly

Hopefully not but I get your point.

We’ve two tough away games next. Lose both of those and start poorly against Sunderland and will be very toxic I would think. 

• Like 3

The culture and mindset were spot on in the last twenty minutes of the first half when we played Norwich off the park. Why was the first 25 minutes so bad and the last 45?

The only thing I saw is that in that 20 minute spell was that Dickie got on the ball and played numerous passes to midfield players getting between the lines. Clearly Wagner was going to do something about that rather than allow it to continue and take a 5-0’er up the wrong ‘un. And he did, passing lanes were blocked off when Dickie had the ball second half and our lack of quality on the ball rather than any particular mindset issue shone through like a flashing ******* beacon.

Stop complaining about mindsets and cultures and coach the other defenders in your side to pass the ball FORWARDS……….then we win that particular game at a canter.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with the culture Nige left us with. That team would run through walls for him. At the moment they seem to be stopping before they get to the walk. I sense the players are not happy with the appointment. Sykes looked confused when subbed today. I must admit I was as well. 

All for giving him time but making comments on the post match like he did certainly won't get the players on his side.

• Like 1

I’ve got to say, much as I’m pissed off with this whole situation: I would urge a bit of caution not to pile on Manning so soon.

I agree, some badly chosen words there - it’s not culture holding us back - but the reality is if he says it’s quality holding us back, that is directly critical of the players and board by default.

He is not the reason we are where we are. 

Still feel he ‘deserves’ more time to install what he wishes before the knives are completely out - given he is here and Nigel ain’t coming back.

Reality is, if it’s not working, the players will let us know first, and therefore the results…

Just my opinion.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

37 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

... the nest egg will be used in Jan to save face.  This was all so avoidable. 

I posted several weeks ago about the club going down the "rinse and repeat scenario" again, whereby we recruit players for big money, on large and long contracts.

I can see a situation where we blow the nest egg, hit the limit on wages, and find ourselves up the river when they realise Manning isn't up for it!!

I want Manning to succeed, I really do, but I don't want to be having to go through another 3 years of cutting our cloth to balance the books again 😫 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, spudski said:

WTF...seriously? 

Sorry. I’m a Nige fan. But the idea he installed a culture of winning is demonstrably not true. Culture of hard work. Culture of togetherness. Culture of good people. 100%. But we only won less than one out of every three games when Nige was manager. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Wish the interviewer had asked if Sykes was substituted because he had a knock, he makes a huge positive difference for us in terms of our goal threat and we certainly missed him once he was subbed.

would have helped if he'd played on his favoured side. we got the goal as soon as he and Andi swapped.you could see he picked up his play and clearly was in his more natural position  but then to put him back on the left was pointless.

red flags there

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I’ve got to say, much as I’m pissed off with this whole situation: I would urge a bit of caution not to pile on Manning so soon.

I agree, some badly chosen words there - it’s not culture holding us back - but the reality is if he says it’s quality holding us back, that is directly critical of the players and board by default.

He is not the reason we are where we are. 

Still feel he ‘deserves’ more time to install what he wishes before the knives are completely out - given he is here and Nigel ain’t coming back.

Reality is, if it’s not working, the players will let us know first, and therefore the results…

Just my opinion.

It's an observation of mine, that Manning has a whole plethora of words and answers, very much ' Coaching talk' that can be rinsed and spun in interviews. 

He doesn't take time to evaluate his answers...they are a gattling gun of responses, that sound 'intelligent', but when taken into context like today, will shoot you him the foot. 

Sadly there are a lot of Ashton's and LJs in his approach to responses. 

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Sorry. I’m a Nige fan. But the idea he installed a culture of winning is demonstrably not true. Culture of hard work. Culture of togetherness. Culture of good people. 100%. But we only won less than one out of every three games when Nige was manager. 

To win...you have to have all those attributes that NP installed.

He didn't create a losing attitude. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spudski said:

It's an observation of mine, that Manning has a whole plethora of words and answers, very much ' Coaching talk' that can be rinsed and spun in interviews. 

He doesn't take time to evaluate his answers...they are a gattling gun of responses, that sound 'intelligent', but when taken into context like today, will shoot you him the foot. 

Sadly there are a lot of Ashton's and LJs in his approach to responses. 

I said when he joined that his post-match interviews are gonna be a tough watch.  I haven’t seen tonight’s but I think you are right that they are from a standard(ish) template and won’t vary much, win, lose or draw.  That’s tough for fans to listen to.  And if you deviate a bit you start running into unfamiliar territory and it might come out badly.

• Thanks 1