IGNORED

Manning's post match interview...

spudski

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My worry is that we continue on this trend and then we turn to signing expensive players to turn things around. Back to the LJ days basically. And then them players turn out to be flops and they don't change our fortunes. 

Then to add to the cheery scenario, we won't be able to repeat the salvage job with a combination of Gould and NP, the academy won't shine quite as brightly as the Scott and Semenyo duo.

Oh yes FFP breaches here we come.

Too gloomy or a genuine risk? We won't get a combination like Gould and NP again if back in a hole IMO.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Most of the crumbling was when we were still in intensive care and recovery. Stoke was the one inexplicable under NP this season.

Need we be reminded of what NP inherited...

*Many players who had run their race.

*No fans as nationwide.

*Injury list longer than we'd ever seen it.

*Morale of the side on the floor.

Etc etc.

The collapse now, sure it can happen to anyone but from a solid base such as this isn't a good start.

Will check to 2022-23 and collapses. Do we include in these draw where 1 up or not really?

I would, we dropped points in games we should’ve won. Again, as I mentioned no criticism of Pearson as such but mentality can still be a lot better. 

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

If that's the case, then as I've suggested his wording should be considered, not ' template'. 

Yeah I agree wording can be better but if we can improve on it then I’m not going to complain

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I would, we dropped points in games we should’ve won. Again, as I mentioned no criticism of Pearson as such but mentality can still be a lot better.

Manning has inherited a much better base though. Some worrying trends emerging albeit far too early to deem them definitive.

The Stoke debacle, 3 dropped.

Whereas at Swansea and Hull we gained 3 and 1 from losing positions respectively and arguably should've win the latter too.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Which imo, is disrespectful to the fan base and those that are asking the questions. 

It's a template, as you say. Coaching words that can be constructed into any football scenario. 

Just breath, listen and contemplate a considered answer Liam. 

It'll serve him better. 

Sadly it's already made me suspicious of him. 

When interviewing people for jobs, if they responded this way, I'd automatically be on my guard As more often than not it was a bluff. 

Which makes me question whether at interview...the interviewers were bluffed. As we all know they have a history of making poor decisions. 

Imo...Manning ticks a box,in that way, that they like...as with MA and LJ. 

Need to watch / listen over a period and gauge.  I said he’s on autopilot going through his stuff, but I do think he’s genuine.  I think his principles and ethos have been built over a long period.  As you and others say it’s adapting a bit to what’s actually happened, moving out of comfort zone and still feeling in control that will be worth watching.

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Shhhh, you’re going to upset some people on here with facts like that

Blige, your posts come across as a bit desperate.  You can back LM and JL / Tins without having to bash Nige at every chance you get. 🤷🏻‍♂️.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Need to watch / listen over a period and gauge.  I said he’s on autopilot going through his stuff, but I do think he’s genuine.  I think his principles and ethos have been built over a long period.  As you and others say it’s adapting a bit to what’s actually happened, moving out of comfort zone and still feeling in control that will be worth watching.

Blige, your posts come across as a bit desperate.  You can back LM and JL / Tins without having to bash Nige at every chance you get. 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I've had concerns about his integrity Dave if I'm honest. 

He jumped ship from Lommel as soon as MK dons came knocking. Oxford then gave him a chance after what happened at MK. Oxford invested heavily in the squad he wanted. As soon as we then came knocking he buggered off. 

And now he's kinda having digs at our previous manager. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, spudski said:

It's an observation of mine, that Manning has a whole plethora of words and answers, very much ' Coaching talk' that can be rinsed and spun in interviews. 

He doesn't take time to evaluate his answers...they are a gattling gun of responses, that sound 'intelligent', but when taken into context like today, will shoot you him the foot. 

Sadly there are a lot of Ashton's and LJs in his approach to responses. 

I feel the return of Bullshit Bingo is on the near horizon, so bloody tired of this seemingly never ending cycle

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes...I don't think it's done on purpose, rather less thought through as to the current situation and climate. 

He's been thrown to the lions by the board, with a fan base not best pleased. 

Being sympathetic to the current feeling will do him well. 

As in football...be adaptable to all scenarios. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He jumped ship from Lommel as soon as MK dons came knocking. Oxford then gave him a chance after what happened at MK. Oxford invested heavily in the squad he wanted. As soon as we then came knocking he buggered off. 

I’m surprised this isn’t getting mentioned more. He’s jumped around a lot. 
In his head it’ll be ambition but unless he’s successful here he’s going to look a bit patchy. Massive gamble to “kick on” with a permanent mid table club that’s spent 40 years in the middle two divisions…. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Then to add to the cheery scenario, we won't be able to repeat the salvage job with a combination of Gould and NP, the academy won't shine quite as brightly as the Scott and Semenyo duo.

Oh yes FFP breaches here we come.

Too gloomy or a genuine risk? We won't get a combination like Gould and NP again if back in a hole IMO.

Never say never as they say but I feel it’s been mentioned a lot by BT & JL that that level of spending won’t ever be repeated.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That’s cool.  I haven’t listened to today’s.  Trying to avoid it all until I’ve watched the whole 90, so I can judge context / accuracy / sentiment.

6 hours ago, spudski said:

...' It's a mindset and Culture that needs to be changed'...regarding winning. 

WTF...seriously? 

So Nige hadn't installed that? **** off.

I know lots of people like his talk...but I'm find him just waffling coaching spiel when asked questions. 

Doesn't take time to think of answers...it's all embedded. 

Over time he's gonna come out worse than LJ for it imo. 

I don't mind his football...but he's already grating on me in interviews. 

Spot on early days but is he dwarf no 2.

6 hours ago, petehinton said:

Also went straight down the tunnel at FT, after lapping up the crowd on the pitch after we beat Boro. Cannot stand managers that do that, can’t have it both ways.

Maybe he was going back to the changing room to give the players a bollocking for conceding late on?

If he'd come over to crowd to 'celebrate' a last minute defeat, he'd get pelters for that too. 

The bloke can't win.  I didn't want Nigel sacked but this dissection of every word Manning says and every action he takes is absolutely ridiculous.  

Edited by Red Skin
  • Like 2

TBH he comes across as a very shy sort of guy.

He doesn't look comfortable at all.

He's right though - the goals were the fault of our players.

BUT - and there is the BUT - I'm pretty sure the goal wasn't 'the result of something we worked on in training' - it was a lucky bounce back from the keeper!

Then to double down with culture..

I dunno - he seems to struggle with the extra scrutiny this job brings.

Too early to judge for me - and I loved Nige - another 4 or 5 games to see if there is a "trend".

Still much closer to the top 6 than bottom 3 - but I would not want to lose the next 3.

Without a couple of new players in Jan, we could be in bother if we keep dropping points from good positions in games.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mendip City said:

I’m surprised this isn’t getting mentioned more. He’s jumped around a lot. 
In his head it’ll be ambition but unless he’s successful here he’s going to look a bit patchy. Massive gamble to “kick on” with a permanent mid table club that’s spent 40 years in the middle two divisions…. 

It’s an interesting point but I think a tad unfair. The majority of moves were under the umbrella of the “City Group” so I kind of view those as moving intra organisation. I do, however, subscribe to the view that Oxford probably deserved more from him, and also that spell - brief as it was - warranting a job at a higher level is in itself odd. Against that, Oxford would have jettisoned him quickly if he failed and as I understand it he asked for mutual clauses for that reason (might need those here…!)

Whenever, though, I hear of a coach who was highly rated and young who bounced around for ambition I’m always minded of Michael Appleton. And that’s not a good thing!

• Like 4

I think he could have phrased what he said in a better way, but my word there's some leaps being made in this thread too, questioning his integrity etc. Mainly from people who've clearly decided they aren't giving him a chance, despite what they might say.

And as for the LJ comparisons....

Are we going to get this every time we lose a game?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I’ve got to say, much as I’m pissed off with this whole situation: I would urge a bit of caution not to pile on Manning so soon.

I agree, some badly chosen words there - it’s not culture holding us back - but the reality is if he says it’s quality holding us back, that is directly critical of the players and board by default.

He is not the reason we are where we are. 

Still feel he ‘deserves’ more time to install what he wishes before the knives are completely out - given he is here and Nigel ain’t coming back.

Reality is, if it’s not working, the players will let us know first, and therefore the results…

Just my opinion.

Agreed. Certainly not fair to pile in to Manning. The guy has been wooed by the Lansdownes in coming here. BUT if results don't improve, the knives will be out very soon.

He looks like a rabbit in the headlights to me. Time will tell and sooner rather than later IMO.

11 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

Sorry. I’m a Nige fan. But the idea he installed a culture of winning is demonstrably not true. Culture of hard work. Culture of togetherness. Culture of good people. 100%. But we only won less than one out of every three games when Nige was manager. 

He installed a culture of competing in games and understood the limitations of the players that he had at his disposal. 

He made us difficult to break down. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s an interesting point but I think a tad unfair. The majority of moves were under the umbrella of the “City Group” so I kind of view those as moving intra organisation. I do, however, subscribe to the view that Oxford probably deserved more from him, and also that spell - brief as it was - warranting a job at a higher level is in itself odd. Against that, Oxford would have jettisoned him quickly if he failed and as I understand it he asked for mutual clauses for that reason (might need those here…!)

Whenever, though, I hear of a coach who was highly rated and young who bounced around for ambition I’m always minded of Michael Appleton. And that’s not a good thing!

Good points re City Group. 

You don’t need to look as far as Michael Appleton…. our very own up and coming coach LJ being a serial bouncer! 

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

I think he could have phrased what he said in a better way, but my word there's some leaps being made in this thread too, questioning his integrity etc. Mainly from people who've clearly decided they aren't giving him a chance, despite what they might say.

Completely agree with this, this fanbase’s love in with Nigel Pearson is getting ridiculous. He never said anything about the culture being bad but it’s not as perfect as people are making out to be, it can be improved and Manning suggesting it is nowhere near as bad as people are making out.

As for the Johnson comparisons, lazy. Completely different manager with a different style that we’ve never seen at the Gate from one of our teams.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with this but surely it can go both ways? You can praise the job Pearson has done without bashing Manning for trying to improve and build off it. Seems a few people on here are doing just that

• Hmmm 1

Just read the evening post write up and this line stood out for me:

”Matty James said that’s the most controlled he’d ever felt in a game, complete dominance”

Now, that quote to me is revealing for a few reasons;

- He’s name dropping a senior professional and a “Pearson” player. A bit of this is to say “look the players are on side” but it is also a classic tactic when you know you’re under pressure or haven’t performed well “look x said it was good”. Any of us who have worked in offices will have seen that tactic and it’s normally the preserve of the weak

- It’s very unlikely to be true. Matty James has played for teams who have won this league and the league above. He’s undoubtedly been in more control of games

- It wasn’t complete dominance. That was tacked on as Liams opinion but any watcher would tell you that was never the case. Ball dominance in sections (mainly defence) granted but not complete dominance.

Its again, an odd quote and one which is worth highlighting here.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

He’s gonna to lose the dressing room with that patter real quick quick. 

This is my concern- whatever your thoughts on Mannings football vs Pearson (and I think there are the occasional good bits), if it doesn’t pick up results and the crowd start getting nasty, I don’t think the players will look to Manning as an inspiration. With Pearson we had a manager who’d played at the top level, and managed there too. It’s a lot easier to buy into/ believe in a process when the person telling you has experience of it. 4 games in is WAY too early to write off Manning, but he won’t do himself any favours throwing the culture/ dressing room under the bus, as I imagine those players could turn against him a lot quicker than they would against Pearson

14 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

He’s gonna to lose the dressing room with that patter real quick 

Edited by Harvey86
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Agree with this but surely it can go both ways? You can praise the job Pearson has done without bashing Manning for trying to improve and build off it. Seems a few people on here are doing just that

You can indeed, I’m just picking on the hypocrisy of TV Tom in every post he puts on here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It's just so lazy too. It's the managerial equivalent of comparing any black central midfield player to Marvin Elliot. 

• Like 1

Dave Barton's questioning doesn't help either. For an experienced journalist, he asks an awful lot of closed questions.

Manning clearly isn't that comfortable in front of a camera and is nowhere near as articulate as Pearson. Makes it even more important that Barton thinks about his questions more to ensure they're actually going to help Manning get his points across. 

All that happens is that Manning is forced to needlessly over-expand in his answers when he has very little to go on. It makes his answers wordy, boring and allows fluff and jargon to seep in. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Why are my posts desperate ? I’m just giving my point of view and opinion, just because my views don’t tally with yours doesn’t make it “desperate”

Just for a bit of clarity though I think sacking NP when we did was the wrong decision and you’ll also not find a single post from me over the years where I’ve “backed” Tinnion.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just read the evening post write up and this line stood out for me:

”Matty James said that’s the most controlled he’d ever felt in a game, complete dominance”

Now, that quote to me is revealing for a few reasons;

- He’s name dropping a senior professional and a “Pearson” player. A bit of this is to say “look the players are on side” but it is also a classic tactic when you know you’re under pressure or haven’t performed well “look x said it was good”. Any of us who have worked in offices will have seen that tactic and it’s normally the preserve of the weak

- It’s very unlikely to be true. Matty James has played for teams who have won this league and the league above. He’s undoubtedly been in more control of games

- It wasn’t complete dominance. That was tacked on as Liams opinion but any watcher would tell you that was never the case. Ball dominance in sections (mainly defence) granted but not complete dominance.

Its again, an odd quote and one which is worth highlighting here.

Agree that this quote is unlikely to be true. But it seems a dangerous thing to say as it could risk upsetting a senior player who he is trying to get onside with his methods.