IGNORED

Did he really say this???

formerly known as ivan

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No I didn't. You've misread. 

In the same interview he said he does not use data when making subs and then he goes on to use data to try to show us things aren't as bad as it looks. That's whats all over the place. 

Maybe if he was consistent in his use of data then we'd not be having this conversation? It's that inconsistency that I'm calling out. 

Elaborate on how that's inconsistent then.

It fits exactly with the type of data use you said managers/coaches should do.

44 minutes ago, TheReds said:

You seem to be criticising your own criticisms!!

If he isn't using data for his subs then that means he is using his eyes doesn't it and a combination of other things, so what has he done wrong here exactly? You're saying he should be doing what you are suggesting, but he is already doing (if he isn't using data), then somehow criticising him for it.

If he is only using data for some things he isn't using it for everything, and you have said he shouldn't rely on data for everything.  He isn't.

You are criticising him for things that you have actually said he should be doing.

I think you are all over the place, not Manning (and I am certainly not saying I am convinced by him yet at all, but at least willing to give him some time).

Having to go massively out your way because you feel the need you "have to" criticise him. Very bizarre imo.

Point made far better than I was able to!

58 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No what's bizarre is that you're not undersmy point. 

I shall make it very clear. 

He attempted to use data to say "im not doing such a bad job as people think" 

In the same interview he then said he doesn't use data to make subs. 

I'm saying every single approach should include using different methods.

It really is very clear. 

Is he not allowed to use some data he has (or even say) that shows we may be creating more chances, we may be creating more chances that should be/should have been converted, which in the longterm should yield rewards? I guess he is trying to say the data is showing we should have had more points than we currently got, and I think many would agree with that. Therefore the points we have gained are under what we should really have had with the overall performances.

He then says he doesn't use data to make subs - so what, that's great according to your original conclusions. You've said he should be using his eyes and other things for subs, and that is what he is actually confirming isn't it. But that isn't correct now.

"Every single approach should use different methods"? Well that is what he has confirmed, or do you want him to use some data for subs as well?

It really isn't clear, because I really wouldn't be asking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think people are going to have to get used to his persona & personally can’t see the issue with this one at all.

He’s not Pearson in terms of what he says but he wasn’t picked by Lansdown & Tinnion for that.

Obvious but people will stop obsessing about this stuff if we start picking up more points, it will become a stick to beat him with if we don’t.

He’s as boring as Sod, and his football is even worse 

Just now, Alan Dicks said:

He’s as boring as Sod, and his football is even worse 

Yep, but I’m not going overboard after 6 games when he’s had minimal numbers & no opportunity to bring anyone in.

Would I have liked Nige to still be in charge? Yep.

Would I still like to be in my 30s & have a full head of hair?

Yep, neither of those things are going to happen, though.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Hate to say it, but if you're "anti-data" in football, then you're a bit of an old fart who has been left behind. I don't mean to be harsh, but it's true.

This is the direction that the world, including football, is heading in. Clubs like Brentford are a good example of how effective good use of data can be in outperforming your opponents.

Every club uses a huge array of data. That includes Bristol City under Nigel Pearson, by the way. If Pearson didn't use data to inform his decision making (which almost certainly isn't the case), then it would be a weakness of his, not a strength.

Is performance data the only thing that matters? No. But I'd be very concerned if it wasn't something we looked at. Nothing alarming about this quote IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Hate to say it, but if you're "anti-data" in football, then you're a bit of an old fart who has been left behind. I don't mean to be harsh, but it's true.

Guilty as charged.  The only data I refer to is results as this is the only one that really matters.

34 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Is he not allowed to use some data he has (or even say) that shows we may be creating more chances, we may be creating more chances that should be/should have been converted, which in the longterm should yield rewards? I guess he is trying to say the data is showing we should have had more points than we currently got, and I think many would agree with that. Therefore the points we have gained are under what we should really have had with the overall performances.

He then says he doesn't use data to make subs - so what, that's great according to your original conclusions. You've said he should be using his eyes and other things for subs, and that is what he is actually confirming isn't it. But that isn't correct now.

"Every single approach should use different methods"? Well that is what he has confirmed, or do you want him to use some data for subs as well?

It really isn't clear, because I really wouldn't be asking.

You're really scraping the barrel there. I don't think many would agree. Maybe a point or 2 but that's it. 

Yes. If he's trying to convince me using data, then it would be nice if he used data when making potential big match changing substitutions. 

26 minutes ago, Myleftpeg said:

All this is very very sad. Give the man a chance ffs. Pearson was far from the greatest manager we’ve ever had. PATHETIC 

Cheers Jon. 

38 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, but I’m not going overboard after 6 games when he’s had minimal numbers & no opportunity to bring anyone in.

Would I have liked Nige to still be in charge? Yep.

Would I still like to be in my 30s & have a full head of hair?

Yep, neither of those things are going to happen, though.

I imagine that’s something you and Manning have in common!

5 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

"Data doesn’t give you points or change league positions, but what it does tell you is the direction you’re heading in and if you continue to create chances, and minimise the opposition, then you’ll win games."

Assuming this is a correct quote from Manning as it’s on the Bristol Live page. What waffle! Back to the days of measuring grass it would seem. Its nearly enough to make you want to tap out at this point.

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m not sure I see that quote as anything particularly irksome. All it’s doing is saying that if youve been on top in games the results tend to come.

I’ve been far more narked by some of the other things LM has said, but that one seems pretty innocuous to me (I was more annoyed when he brought up Blackburn’s xG compared to normal for example).

All assuming he’s looking at the right data though and not possession stats for the sake of possession stats! 

Yep if you make chances and not allow the opponent chances You’ll win more often  than you lose  

What pisses me off is people say this stuff as if it’s clever rather than stating the obvious. Thus it is waffle. 

Hopefully for Juniors sake we actually follow the waffle. I mean observation based upon following data.! AND WIN A BLOODY FOOTBALL MATCH!

Let's see how comprehensive the result is or isn't today. That data gives me all the information I need. 

The critical element missing from the quote relates to use being able to convert the (few) chances we create. Sadly we have a team low on confidence, a non-existent creative midfielder and strikers who are out of form.....not a great mix at the business end of the season....

I'll be at AG today cheering them on optimistically. Hope this dip turns soon.

COYRs!

5 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

"Data doesn’t give you points or change league positions, but what it does tell you is the direction you’re heading in and if you continue to create chances, and minimise the opposition, then you’ll win games."

Basically he’s stating the obvious. 

41 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You're really scraping the barrel there. I don't think many would agree. Maybe a point or 2 but that's it. 

Yes. If he's trying to convince me using data, then it would be nice if he used data when making potential big match changing substitutions. 

Cheers Jon. 

Cheers Nige

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yeah a point or 2 extra every 6 games won't make any difference whatsoever to where a club finishes and how a table looks, and then brings more confidence to players etc etc. 

Who would want that.