IGNORED

Are Aston Villa overreacting to so called abuse of Watkins?

Mr Popodopolous

Aston Villa truly are crybabies depending on what it was?

I can't suppress my loathing for that club and their fans. Entitled pompous arseholes from top to bottom.

I don't condone abuse as such but if it isn't racial or homophobic or similar tbis is quite unprecedented.

Fairy tale at the top? Like hell it is.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Watkins was interviewed and she’d what all the pointing was about after he’d scored.

He said that the one Bees fans was giving him grief all through the match and when asked if the abuse was racial he said “no”. Watkins is a very articulate guy.

His comments will be on the BBC site if anyone can be arsed to find  it.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Aston Villa truly are crybabies depending on what it was?

I can't suppress my loathing for that club and their fans. Entitled pompous arseholes from top to bottom.

I don't condone abuse as such but if it isn't racial or homophobic or similar tbis is quite unprecedented.

Fairy tale at the top? Like hell it is.

Brentford fans were fighting over it as it was so out of order and some fans walked out as they were disgusted with the abuse he was getting.   I don’t see an issue with a club tweeting its support. Sounds like it was bad 

• Like 11
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Brentford fans were fighting over it as it was so out of order and some fans walked out as they were disgusted with the abuse he was getting.   I don’t see an issue with a club tweeting its support. Sounds like it was bad 

I think Aston Villa and their fans have arrogance in abundance sanctimonious in general tbh. Not many clubs I dislike more.

Disgusted, perhaps the game has changed I dunno. It wasn't racism, Watkins himself confirmed this.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13032896/ollie-watkins-celebration-personal-abuse-behind-reaction-to-scoring-aston-villa-winner-at-brentford-says-striker

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think Aston Villa and their fans have arrogance in abundance sanctimonious in general tbh. Not many clubs I dislike more.

Disgusted, perhaps the game has changed I dunno. It wasn't racism, Watkins himself confirmed this.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13032896/ollie-watkins-celebration-personal-abuse-behind-reaction-to-scoring-aston-villa-winner-at-brentford-says-striker

I know it wasn’t racism. I didn’t say it was.  I know a fair few Villa fans and they are all really nice guys.  Every team has their idiot fans, including us. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

I know it wasn’t racism. I didn’t say it was.  I know a fair few Villa fans and they are all really nice guys.  Every team has their idiot fans, including us. 

All clubs have their idiot fans granted. Aston Villa just really rile me, ever since their Championship stint they always have done.

I mean okay, he gets flak does Watkins, scores the winner and shushes yeah. That's how it goes, right? Often.

• The title was changed to Are Aston Villa overreacting to so called abuse of Watkins?
25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My title is perhaps a little inflammatory but I do think Aston Villa are being a bit oversensitive or pious here on the face of it.

Can you provide us all with the transcript that you've obviously been privy to, of exactly what the Brentford fans abuse was - then we can all make our own mind up on whether there is an over reaction or not.

It's not really fair if only you have seen it, which you obviously must have....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

56 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Out of interest , where is this from ?

Seems somewhat strange if people are fighting over it and others are walking out , that it attracted no attention from , or complaints made to , the stewards , or reported by the numerous ways it can be done anonymously 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

24 minutes ago, redsocks said:

Fair play to watkins.if Conway did the same I like to think we would back his actions.us football supporters give it out but sometimes can't take it back.why are their are their so many villa haters on here.

Oh by all means, Watkins gives it back after scoring the winner I've no issue, have you.

Lodging a complaint Idk.

Can only speak for myself but I didn't used to mind Aston Villa so much in the past, but when they dropped to the Championship they had the most arrogant fans at this level. Bar none.

The HS2 and FFP luck in 2019, yet they speak in a holier than thou manner about their current financials. 

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Can you provide us all with the transcript that you've obviously been privy to, of exactly what the Brentford fans abuse was - then we can all make our own mind up on whether there is an over reaction or not.

It's not really fair if only you have seen it, which you obviously must have....

Sadly not privy however Watkins himself has claimed that it wasn't racist which is good enough for me.

I don't think late 1990s, early 2000s it would have played out that way complaints and media moaning.

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sadly not privy however Watkins himself has claimed that it wasn't racist which is good enough for me.

But he did say it was constant abuse to do with his family, hence his angry response to the fan doing it. Whether that is acceptable and should be shrugged off may be a matter of opinion. I certainly wouldn't accept it if I was a player.

All too often fans want to dish it out but start clutching their pearls if they get it back.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Out of interest , where is this from ?

Seems somewhat strange if people are fighting over it and others are walking out , that it attracted no attention from , or complaints made to , the stewards , or reported by the numerous ways it can be done anonymously 

The main Brentford podcast. 

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But he did say it was constant abuse to do with his family, hence his angry response to the fan doing it. Whether that is acceptable and should be shrugged off may be a matter of opinion. I certainly wouldn't accept it if I was a player.

All too often fans want to dish it out but start clutching their pearls if they get it back.

It was mainly aimed at his mother. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

20 years ago would it have been a notable issue?

It seems a bit unprecedented for this..how much flak do Vardy and Sharp get?

We're 20 years on from 20 years ago.

Not sure comparing Watkins with these two proves anything. Watkins always appears respectful, Vardy and Sharp have been winding up opposition fans for years.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chinapig said:

No problem with Watkins giving it back when he scored tbh.

Vardy gets some about the Wagatha case.

13 minutes ago, Nomad said:

We're 20 years on from 20 years ago.

Not sure comparing Watkins with these two proves anything. Watkins always appears respectful, Vardy and Sharp have been winding up opposition fans for years.

2 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Respectfully, not sure why 20 years ago is relevant? 

Game has changed a bit perhaps. Without a transcript it is impossible to say for sure but Aston Villa seem a bit Idk.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm sorry Mr P but i have to disagree. My mate is a season ticket holder in the North Stand at Villa Park and i go to a few matches each season with him. Villa fans are a decent bunch and they are a proper club.

I know there was a bit of beef with Lee Johnson when we played there, but i'm not sure Villa did much wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I'm sorry Mr P but i have to disagree. My mate is a season ticket holder in the North Stand at Villa Park and i go to a few matches each season with him. Villa fans are a decent bunch and they are a proper club.

I know there was a bit of beef with Lee Johnson when we played there, but i'm not sure Villa did much wrong.

They didn't like Lee Johnson much Edgy yeah!  Mind you in hindsight..but we were somewhat mugged that day by the officials.

Oh no doubt Aston Villa are a big club, nobody can deny that. Big club, proper club can also align but forums maybe tarnish to some extent, likewise Twitter but there has been a reputation for arrogance in that time..fans of many Championship clubs have said it.

(Have issues with their past financials and they do seem to get inordinate amounts of luck via VAR).

Them complaining here seems a bit, do Aston Villa fans give serious flak to players- where is the line, how does the line differ to even say late 1990s, early 2000s.

They as a club seem quite pious and hypocritical especially post 2018 ownership change.

55 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The main Brentford podcast. 

It was mainly aimed at his mother. 

His mum is a regular customer where I work, usually sporting Villa training wear. I’m sure she’ll be as proud of him as she always is.

Though she’s quick to bring him down to earth if he ever shows any signs of getting above his station. Lovely lady with a lovely son. 

• Like 3

Mr P, you are one of my fav posters, but on this occasion, I think it might be more about your feelings about Villa + their fans than this actually being an issue. 

It seems like a club backing their player when he has received abuse. To be honest something I would like to see our club do in similar circumstances.  Not 100% sure what the abuse was and how significant, but doesn't really matter - it was enough to get an emotional response from the player (one who is particularly important to the club) and it makes sense to come out in support of that player. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't think late 1990s, early 2000s it would have played out that way complaints and media moaning.

Nobody has claimed it was racist. He quashed that suggestion immediately. 

It doesn't mean it wasn't vile or unacceptable. 

• Like 3