IGNORED

Senior Reds today, guest Jon Lansdown

Galley is our king

I loved Nige both as a person and manager. Wish him all the best for the future and hope he regains full health soon.

It was clear, notwithstanding his health issues and his own statements about retirement, that Nige was going in the Summer. The indications were we weren’t going to be strong challengers for promotion - even with some re-investment of the Alex funds and I think that was his set target. 

Like virtually all Clubs in the League we wanted a young, ‘tactical’ advanced and modern hands-on coach to push us forward into the future. I suspect Nige may have been pushing his own staff as his replacement..but we’ve been down that road! It seems football has evolved where older managers come in to ‘rescue’ Clubs and then either young English or foreign coaches take teams on. We seem to be following that established model. 

The reaction, in the context of the above, against Jon and Tins to the management change has been a bit OTT, particularly mindful of Nige’s public grenade throwing.

Jon is both a likeable chap and a genuine supporter. Currently, he’s not suited to a CEO role though. Jon either needs to shadow an experienced operator or have a good ‘mentor’ for a few years. 

As Jon is playing at several levels above his current capabilities he tends to appoint non-threatening people at management levels within the organisation. That provides him with a comfortable life, but is dangerous for the organisation. Without a ‘mentor’ or experienced CEO, Jon needs to learn very quickly or the Club will become a car crash.

Early signs of Jon as a CEO in all but name? Well, the jury is out on the new coaching team. A massive gamble, which could be a roaring success or dismal failure. There’s early signs of hope though. 

Off-the-field? A shambles for decades, but do I detect some green shoots? Little things, like communication being more open? The presence of a reasonable presenter on Robins TV and, struth, even Xmas jumpers AND available before the 25th December! Last, but not least, the injury situation …. blindly obvious for years we have an issue  for years and, very belatedly, we seem to have at least recognised there is one and will investigate it (it’s not hard to do…hint, Ipswich).

I really do hope the Lansdown family can push us on to the promised land and have the last laugh at those who constantly abuse them. No doubt some of those abusers are the same supporters who were slagging off Nige this time last year and now treat him with God-like status! 

Anyhows, onwards and, hopefully, upwards and a Merry Xmas to you all. COYRs.

• Like 1

• Admin
8 hours ago, petehinton said:

It was a question I put to Tinnion at the forum, which for some reason generated a load of laughter which summed that night up tbh (maybe off subject). 

He didn’t really answer it tbh (other than say we were lucky to win the CC game, which is a bit odd). But I know for a fact Tinns went to watch Oxford at least twice after the games we played against them. Probably put as scouting games, but really in hindsight were likely to be to have eyes on how his teams play. 

Apologies, which question did you ask? 

8 hours ago, petehinton said:

It was a question I put to Tinnion at the forum, which for some reason generated a load of laughter which summed that night up tbh (maybe off subject). 

He didn’t really answer it tbh (other than say we were lucky to win the CC game, which is a bit odd). 

Only just seen this, what a ******* snake that bloke is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Apologies, which question did you ask? 

If Manning came onto our radar to be first choice to replace Pearson because of how Oxford set up/played against us in pre season/in the league cup game. 

Didn’t really answer it (summed that night up), just laughed it off, and said Oxford played us off the park for the first half hour. So I’d take that as a yes tbh. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

I find this a really odd comment, did you know him personally? 

I can understand liking his managerial style etc, but to say you loved him as a person is a very odd claim to make 

Not personally, but hey, someone who shares similar interests, outlook on life, management style, temperament and is an interesting, rounded and, clearly, artistically talented man, ok, is someone I’d be comfortable to ‘relate to’ rather than ‘love’ maybe. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure if I’ve missed it…but makes JL’s answer to the accounts question even more petty / pathetic now we know they are out today.  Even if he’d have said “soon” with a wink, that would’ve been fine.

I wouldn't rule out incompetence, Dave. Maybe he just didn't know. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, petehinton said:

If Manning came onto our radar to be first choice to replace Pearson because of how Oxford set up/played against us in pre season/in the league cup game. 

Didn’t really answer it (summed that night up), just laughed it off, and said Oxford played us off the park for the first half hour. So I’d take that as a yes tbh. 

I’m sure it’s been covered before, but Manning was definitely not the first choice.

55 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Mousinho at Pompey ?

If they thought they could pry him out of there, when they were on a 25-odd game unbeaten streak, at a club that’s arguably bigger than us, they’re even more naive than we thought.

Then again, SL tried to sound out Eddie Howe when Holden went, so maybe it’s to be expected!

• Flames 1

11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If they thought they could pry him out of there, when they were on a 25-odd game unbeaten streak, at a club that’s arguably bigger than us, they’re even more naive than we thought.

Then again, SL tried to sound out Eddie Howe when Holden went, so maybe it’s to be expected!

Yet more proof, as if it were needed, of how clueless they are.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

No different to some other clubs.

Stoke recently tried to as per reports sound out Nuno and Potter.

Schumacher who has his merits it was.

Where @Merrick's Marvels do you stand on Stoke and Potter and Nuno links or wishes in their current state.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Where @Merrick's Marvels do you stand on Stoke and Potter and Nuno links or wishes in their current state.

Stoke have some of the richest owners in the whole EFL, so would (and do) ‘try’ as the wages they can offer both managers and staff would be far above what someone like we would if they could sway with cash alone, have the pull of getting back to being an established PL club as they were for many season etc. 

21 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

What proof?

At least 1 of the posters who liked the statement "Mousinho was our no.1 target" is in a position to be itk.

But if you don't think they're clueless, that's fine by me.

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Potter is an ex player. Nuno has taken a job in the Championship before.

And both were unemployed at the time.

Far more logical choices - albeit optimistic, I grant you - than City thinking the manager of a bigger club than us, currently top of their league and very likely to be in the same division as us in a few months, would be interested in jumping ship.

Imo.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What exactly do you expect in this kind of scenario??? 

Cue another sh1t comment again.

You stated it was proof of how clueless they are, 

But offer no proof at all, just someone liked a comnent who may know something or may of heard something 4th hand that may or may not be true

You just look for any nonsense to sling sh1t at the Lansdowns, but don't let facts worry you after all hearsay on a forum is proof 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Stoke have some of the richest owners in the whole EFL, so would (and do) ‘try’ as the wages they can offer both managers and staff would be far above what someone like we would if they could sway with cash alone, have the pull of getting back to being an established PL club as they were for many season etc. 

Like us they're limited by FFP with a similar turnover.

A bottom 3rd Championship club doesn't pull in people like Nuno or Potter, come on.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

At least 1 of the posters who liked the statement "Mousinho was our no.1 target" is in a position to be itk.

But if you don't think they're clueless, that's fine by me.

Potter is an ex player. Nuno has taken a job in the Championship before.

And both were unemployed at the time.

Far more logical choices - albeit optimistic, I grant you - than City thinking the manager of a bigger club than us, currently top of their league and very likely to be in the same division as us in a few months, would be interested in jumping ship.

Imo.

Nuno took a job in a very ideal scenario at Wolves, I get the Potter argument from the ex player angle but there was no great chance IMO.

With PL and European experience though,  I don't see either at Stoke in 2023.