IGNORED

Senior Reds today, guest Jon Lansdown

Galley is our king

Sometimes I do wonder what people think. 

Managers have contracts. Those contracts will have terms in which the contract is paid up in the case of termination. 

However even if they don’t the club pay out the rest of the contract either in a lump sum or over the term to completion then every one is covered.

Managing a football club particularly in the championship is a high turnover occupation. The thought of football managers in a queue at an industrial tribunal claiming unfair dismissal is the thing of back page cartoons. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, marmite said:

I was a member of Senior Reds a few years ago. I remember one meeting, pre redevelopment, when meetings were held in the Williams stand. 

Steve Lansdown was guest speaker and he was criticised by one member for running the club like a non-league club. Steve became very upset and said member was never seen again. Anyone else recall this incident.

Was this around 2008?

this exiled supporter clearly put a curse on the club and explains our poor form in recent years. 

find the supporter. End the curse. The Exorcity, if you will.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, they handled it incredibly badly, chose to come out with stuff that didn’t stand up to scrutiny, nor could they even align amongst themselves.  We all know it was horseshit.

The stupid thing is they created unnecessary pressure on Manning.

Agreeing with this, JL didn't do himself any favours with the way he handled everything, to be honest. When you drop a quote like "we've got a top 6 side," you're asking for trouble, especially when you make a decision you know will go down poorly with the majority of supporters, immediately putting pressure on an already mourning fanbase.

The way I see it, the Lansdowns employed NP. They stuck with him through his battle with COVID and long COVID, during which he was out for some time (as they should). They persevered through an 18-game streak with only 3 wins, a shocking record. But they stood by him when it could have been easy to pull the trigger, especially after the boos rang out following the WBA match, with over half of the supporters wanting him gone (as per the OTIB poll after the game). So why didn't they sack him then? What baffles me the most is that he was actually on his best run of form, so why the sudden sacking?

My theory is, aside from his average record from the previous seasons, it must boil down to one or a number of factors. The club was dragging its heels when it came to a new contract, irritating NP, who started throwing hand grenades. There was only going to be one winner there. Combined with the fact that he was clearly struggling with his health, spending less and less time at the HPC, and his contract nearing the end, it pushed a decision.

Ultimately, the way they did it wasn't great and could have been handled better. Although the reasons I think they may have sacked him couldn't be explicitly stated for obvious reasons. The timing was odd, so I believe something else must have happened, but again, we will never know.

On another entirely different point, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed (and try to find it, @Davefevs @Harry @Kid in the Riot @Mr Popodopolous) — you guys are pretty switched on when it comes to these sorts of things), but did you notice in one of Liam's interviews when he joined? He said something like, when talking about the 5-1 defeat to Oxford against us, "after the game, I spoke to my agent and said, 'well, I won't be joining Bristol City after that,'" almost as if there had been contact from the club previously. That game was at the end of August. I think we'd already sounded him out that summer.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

The timing was odd, so I believe something else must have happened, but again, we will never know.

If they were not going to renew NP's contract, then I don't really see a more convenient time, given they would not be buying in the January window if not keeping the manager. Had to give the new man time to assess the squad first before window. So, timing was as good as it would get IMO.

• Like 2

Just now, DingleRed said:

If they were not going to renew NP's contract, then I don't really see a more convenient time, given they would not be buying in the January window if not keeping the manager. Had to give the new man time to assess the squad first before window. So, timing was as good as it would get IMO.

Yeah, valid point. I meant if it was in their minds, why wait? His form (3 wins in 18) was a good time, but I guess it clearly wasn't an option at that point, which leads me back to the theory of it must have been to do with health etc. I don't think that's anything new though, so good point. 

• Like 1

Might be a ridiculous question, but wouldn’t this lack of structure in senior positions make the club much harder to sell/bring in investors? 

Forgive me if I’m missing someone but currently our senior staff is made up of, Jon Lansdown-chairman, who if the club was sold wouldn’t stick around I would’ve thought, Gavin Marshall-Bristol Sport CEO, probably the most competent out of the lot but stretched extremely thin across the whole group, Tom Radcliffe who seems to be both the COO and CFO who I’ve never seen nor heard from and Brian Tinnion who’s actual job role is shrouded in mystery. 

Director of Football? , Head of Recruitment? , Academy Manager? , most likely a mix of all three and now he’s being called a CEO who’s learning on the job?

For any investors that must seem like a complete cluster**** to walk into. Currently functioning without a recognised individual Bristol City CEO, COO and CFO, a chairman who would be leaving upon new owners taking over, and a completely over promoted DOF. 

P.S. Just seen a job advert released a week ago by BCFC for a new Assistant Grounds Manager, with the way we seem to operate might be a punt worth taking, you could find yourself sitting in on board meetings within 12 months 😂.

Edited by George Rs
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Agreeing with this, JL didn't do himself any favours with the way he handled everything, to be honest. When you drop a quote like "we've got a top 6 side," you're asking for trouble, especially when you make a decision you know will go down poorly with the majority of supporters, immediately putting pressure on an already mourning fanbase.

The way I see it, the Lansdowns employed NP. They stuck with him through his battle with COVID and long COVID, during which he was out for some time (as they should). They persevered through an 18-game streak with only 3 wins, a shocking record. But they stood by him when it could have been easy to pull the trigger, especially after the boos rang out following the WBA match, with over half of the supporters wanting him gone (as per the OTIB poll after the game). So why didn't they sack him then? What baffles me the most is that he was actually on his best run of form, so why the sudden sacking?

My theory is, aside from his average record from the previous seasons, it must boil down to one or a number of factors. The club was dragging its heels when it came to a new contract, irritating NP, who started throwing hand grenades. There was only going to be one winner there. Combined with the fact that he was clearly struggling with his health, spending less and less time at the HPC, and his contract nearing the end, it pushed a decision.

Ultimately, the way they did it wasn't great and could have been handled better. Although the reasons I think they may have sacked him couldn't be explicitly stated for obvious reasons. The timing was odd, so I believe something else must have happened, but again, we will never know.

On another entirely different point, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed (and try to find it, @Davefevs @Harry @Kid in the Riot @Mr Popodopolous) — you guys are pretty switched on when it comes to these sorts of things), but did you notice in one of Liam's interviews when he joined? He said something like, when talking about the 5-1 defeat to Oxford against us, "after the game, I spoke to my agent and said, 'well, I won't be joining Bristol City after that,'" almost as if there had been contact from the club previously. That game was at the end of August. I think we'd already sounded him out that summer.

Yes I did notice that but must admit I thought it was said in jest. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I’m pretty sure they’d made their minds up some time ago that they wouldn’t be renewing his contract, so yes, I’m sure Manning was on the list way before he was appointed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spudski said:

When you say he's unwell...does it affect his judgement?

If it's not affecting his judgement then what's the problem?

He uses Coaches to do training. Instructs from the side. Can relay his message. 

If God forbid a manager lost the use of his legs, and required a motorised wheelchair to operate, would that be considered unable to operate and do his job properly?

I can't see it being a problem. 

If he was in the grass as a coach...then maybe. 

But as long as his judgement isn't diminished then I honestly can't see it being a problem. 

Exactly. It's not like his job was a physical job.

Some of the comments on here about his health are quite concerning. Probably bordering on ableism. Some people seem to have a real issue with his health and seem to use it as a stick to beat him with. 

Maybe he needed some slight adjustments to the working environment, but that's no problem. Maybe from time to time he needed some time off, again no problem, we all get ill. 

Are we going to start sacking players who get injured next? 

3 hours ago, Selred said:

W-S-M mentioned he was doing walks on the beach, as if that meant he was well enough to e.g. attend training. 

The point from @Marina's Rolls Royce and myself was that he was still on crutches on these "walks". It was more on his physical state, not his mental state.

Is there a different word for going for walks on the beach if you are using crutches? 

Going for a walk on the beach, even with crutches, suggests the guy was more than capable of getting himself up to the HPC. 

• Thanks 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Consult “experienced fans” on managerial decsions 🤣

When I read that I had a mix of head in hands and laughter reaction

The worst thing is I can hear some of our support asking this and actually believing they should have a say in our Managerial appointments

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

When I read that I had a mix of head in hands and laughter reaction

The worst thing is I can hear some of our support asking this and actually believing they should have a say in our Managerial appointments

Haha same. It’s phenomenal.

the sincerity in which I was written in the OP and likely asked in person is something I just can’t get over and has tickled me for about 4 hours 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

Yes, it was mentioned on here at the time.

I mentioned the other day / week that a load of contact happens, whether that be club to agent, club to manager, agent to agent, that is probably “tapping up” if you get to the nitty gritty of it.

There is no way the first Liam Manning heard of our approach was that Monday, the day before he was appointed.

Do I care that we started sounding him out much earlier?  Nope.  Not even if it was when Nige was still here.  That’s business.

I’m sure Mark Sykes was used as a stooge for our contact with Rob Dickie.  I’m sure we (the club) had a word with Jason Knight when he was training with Ireland at the HPC.  It goes on.

• Like 2