IGNORED

Senior Reds today, guest Jon Lansdown

Galley is our king

28 minutes ago, chinapig said:

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with limited competence in a particular domain overestimate their abilities.

Perhaps we should rename it the Lansdown-Tinnion effect.

Dunning-Kruger? 
More like Dumb & Dumber 

• Haha 1

Absolutely brilliant from the Senior Reds, well done!

About time this charlatan was exposed for the fraud he is. 

The dismissive disdain shown for a significant group of our fans is disgraceful.

As for not knowing when the accounts will be ready and appointing Tinnion and CEO it’s just ludicrous. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

It's a bit peculiar that most of the fanbase won't get access to a Q&A with our chairman simply because of age. It feels a bit... off, doesn't it?

Imagine if it was the other was around. Sorry, you're too old that have this information. 

Yeah, I’ve never been to a senior reds lunch, though sadly I do qulaify, but I remember when Steve L used to do a Q&A at an away ground every year it was very much something that he didn’t want reporting and I think banned all media attending.

I'm not sure if this is similar but I don’t recall any other of their meetings getting a comprehensive report. Perhaps regulars can shed more light 

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Red from afar said:

Out of interest, does the club have any non-executive directors? Surely their guidance should have advised against the current structure as it doesn't seem to conform to best business practice.

I remember asking the same question on here years ago. That would mean having to listen to someone else's opinion..... and we don't do that sort of thing around these parts. 

• Like 3

So to be 100% clear.

We replaced a couple of very competent CEO's ultimately with Brian 'I can't spell' Tinnion.

Nigel Pearson's successor was chosen by a bloke who knows nothing about football (Jon L), a bloke who watches videos of blokes playing sport for a living (Sean G) and a confirmed fraud and snake (B.T.)

This ladies and Gentlemen, is why we cannot have nice things.

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

So to be 100% clear.

We replaced a couple of very competent CEO's ultimately with Brian 'I can't spell' Tinnion.

Nigel Pearson's successor was chosen by a bloke who knows nothing about football (Jon L), a bloke who watches videos of blokes playing sport for a living (Sean G) and a confirmed fraud and snake (B.T.)

This ladies and Gentlemen, is why we cannot have nice things.

Tinnion chose Manning.

Alexander was maybe competent, but deeply unpopular amongst staff. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

As above, said a few very noncommittal words and then went into a Q and A.

The Hen and chicken it was not!

First question about the accounts and when would they be published?

Answer.... they are being bought into line and published with the other members of the group, no idea when that would be.

Second question. Could you please explain why Phil Alexander left the football club? 

Answer..... We felt things weren't going as well as we expected, nothing particular and Brian Tinnion was growing into the role.

Third question. Do you feel that you should listen to the opinions of experienced supporters when making big decisions like changing managers? (Some clapping).

Answer.... we can't consult on everything but everything we do is in the best interests of the club.

Forth question. Now Liam Manning is here, what do you consider to be a successful season?

Answer.... well there are an awful lot of points still to play for so we are looking for progression.

When pressed he said TOP 10!!!!!

Fifth question. Do you understand the disappointment that the fan base currently feel about the current board of directors.

Answer.... well you can't please everyone and I'd like to think many do support us.

There were other important questions about lighting in the stadium during evening games, music too loud and giving the opposition an advantage by then having the Atyeo stand. Sorry if I missed any others, please add!!!

Don't think he enjoyed this at all so it was ended although there were others wanting to ask further questions.

My second question would have been.... If you consider 10th to be a successful season why did you sack a manager when we were eleventh?

Worked well as everyone was too old to work for Bristol Sport.......

There was a chorus of ooooos to accompany several of today's questions. Must have been the brandy sa uce on the Christmas pudding. And you were very diplomatic with your transcription of question 5.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2015 said:

Translated: We don't really care much about what the fans think, it's our club and therefore we decide who is in charge, not you fans. To hell with those supporters who disagree with the decisions we make.

Tbf, who classes as “experienced supporters” and what qualifies them to have input on a decision like that?

We can all have an opinion but so many know so little either about the behind the scenes issues, or football in general, that I don’t think it’s a road to go down.

Obviously the Pearson scenario is rare, if you take this board as representative of fans, for such a high percentage of fans to be in support of a manager when his job is on the line.

JL could rightly point out that almost the same proportion of fans were against Pearson last Xmas and wouldn’t have argued with sacking him.

There’s every chance Manning could have us in a decent position 12 months from now and who would be right? It still doesn’t necessarily justify the sacking (or timing of) but it might prove not to be a “bad” decision especially given NP’s health etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Alexander highly unpopular was he?

I assume Gould wasn't unpopular or was he?

Yes, and others will corroborate @petehinton Phil Alexander was not a popular man at City.

Gould likeable, and a good politician to keep the relationship between Nige and the board on an even keel

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, and others will corroborate @petehinton Phil Alexander was not a popular man at City.

Gould likeable, and a good politician to keep the relationship between Nige and the board on an even keel

Thank you, that was an impression I got too. There was just something about Alexander I couldn't warm to.

If Gould had not gone to the ECB, NP might still be here and he may have got a bit more money summer 2023 albeit that's pure conjecture on my part. Met Gould briefly at end of a Fans Forum, had a little chat- thought him and NP had a good relationship all told.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I suppose the reasons for being unpopular are important here - easy to be unpopular for telling a few home truths?

Edited by Red Army 87

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thank you, that was an impression I got too. There was just something about Alexander I couldn't warm to.

If Gould had not gone to the ECB, NP might still he here and he may have got a bit more money summer 2023 albeit that's pure conjecture on my part. Met Gould briefly at end of a Fans Forum, had a little chat- thought him and NP had a good relationship all told.

Tricky relationship at first, but then good.

I'm bored of saying it but Nige is really unwell and couldn't properly carry out his duties. I hate the City board as everyone will know, but I do have sympathy with them on this point. Nige probably had to go. 

5 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

I suppose the reasons for being unpopular are important here - easy to be unpopular for telling a few home truths?

Na, I'm talking unpopular with general staff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"Stats driven"

Well LM’s stats don’t match “front-foot, high press, forward thinking / progressive, attacking football”.  Not saying he’s a bad choice, just purely that their “words and figures differ”! 😉

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Of course , someone coming in from outside might well ruffle a few feathers (and therefore be unpopular) when amateur-hour is being performed in front of him! 👀👀👀

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Tricky relationship at first, but then good.

I'm bored of saying it but Nige is really unwell and couldn't properly carry out his duties. I hate the City board as everyone will know, but I do have sympathy with them on this point. Nige probably had to go. 

Na, I'm talking unpopular with general staff.

This is what I’m accepting as the truth behind the decision and timing of Pearson leaving. The only sense I can really make of it is that NPs health is worse than he let on and it was in his best interest, even if he didn’t agree.

7 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

As above, said a few very noncommittal words and then went into a Q and A.

The Hen and chicken it was not!

First question about the accounts and when would they be published?

Answer.... they are being bought into line and published with the other members of the group, no idea when that would be.

Second question. Could you please explain why Phil Alexander left the football club? 

Answer..... We felt things weren't going as well as we expected, nothing particular and Brian Tinnion was growing into the role.

Third question. Do you feel that you should listen to the opinions of experienced supporters when making big decisions like changing managers? (Some clapping).

Answer.... we can't consult on everything but everything we do is in the best interests of the club.

Forth question. Now Liam Manning is here, what do you consider to be a successful season?

Answer.... well there are an awful lot of points still to play for so we are looking for progression.

When pressed he said TOP 10!!!!!

Fifth question. Do you understand the disappointment that the fan base currently feel about the current board of directors.

Answer.... well you can't please everyone and I'd like to think many do support us.

There were other important questions about lighting in the stadium during evening games, music too loud and giving the opposition an advantage by then having the Atyeo stand. Sorry if I missed any others, please add!!!

Don't think he enjoyed this at all so it was ended although there were others wanting to ask further questions.

My second question would have been.... If you consider 10th to be a successful season why did you sack a manager when we were eleventh?

Worked well as everyone was too old to work for Bristol Sport.......

So.............just another day at the Covid Inquiry, then ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CityReds said:

Are there clubs in the PL & EFL who don’t own the club but do choose their managers ahead of their board? 

Forest for example, as much as what Cooper did for them and singing his name from the stands, most are actually pleased he’s been replaced.

I'm not saying that fans should have a choice on who the Manager is. It's more the fact JL appears very dismissive towards any fan opinion that opposes his own view. I just think the bloke is arrogant and Tinnion is delusional.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I'm not saying that fans should have a choice on who the Manager is. It's more the fact JL appears very dismissive towards any fan opinion that opposes his own view. I just think the bloke is arrogant and Tinnion is delusional.

Its like it’s beneath him, a chore and he’s doing us a favour.

• Like 5

The Lansdowns, father and son, are like a throwback to 19th century management styles.

Nothing about City’ management looks either modern or professional.  Gould and NP were clearly the real deal - how either were appointed remains a mystery.  Yet I suppose by the law of averages over a period of decades even the Lansdowns can stumble on the right answer by sheer accident. But with BT now being Mr Bristol City they have certainly made up for that.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Fair point, and I don’t disagree. I’d say at least you know where you stand but we never really do. Just a bunch of mixed messages. 

The board really needs some organisation and cohesiveness, which is in reality the primary job of a CEO. I’ve always found in business even if you don’t like the direction being given, if senior management are aligned at least you are clear on a direction. I’m surprised Knights and Barton are still in place as they are the gatekeepers.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CityReds said:

Fair point, and I don’t disagree. I’d say at least you know where you stand but we never really do. Just a bunch of mixed messages. 

The board really needs some organisation and cohesiveness, which is in reality the primary job of a CEO. I’ve always found in business even if you don’t like the direction being given, if senior management are aligned at least you are clear on a direction. I’m surprised Knights and Barton are still in place as they are the gatekeepers.

The structure is terrible now really. All of it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The structure is terrible now really. All of it.

Doesn't have to be and let’s hope it isn’t long term, just needs comms of what it really is. Clearly Jon is taking a more active role. No argument with that really, but saying BT is growing into his role is highly misleading. The only bit I can see him taking from a CEO is the contract/recruitment piece. (Which PA claimed he did everything for Scott transfer). Commercial piece is a central Bristol Sport task so Operations and comms are the only real remaining pieces of the puzzle, one of which we know is poor and the other in reality is the glue to it all.

Edited by CityReds

11 minutes ago, CityReds said:

Doesn't have to be just needs comms of what it really is. Clearly Jon is taking a more active role. No argument with that really, but saying BT is growing into his role is highly misleading. The only bit I can see him taking from a CEO is the contract/recruitment piece. (Which PA claimed he did everything for Scott transfer). Commercial piece is a central Bristol Sport task so Operations and comms are the only real remaining pieces of the puzzle, one of which we know is poor and the other in reality is the glue to it all.

It just seems to me anyway as if it is:

*Choppy                                     

*Too many cooks                     

*Blurred lines of responsibility and demarcation.

Tinnion is overpromoted, Jon Lansdown seems incompetent.

A Group CEO and finance guy.

A new manager with promise yet vast inexperience has to go for top 10 while working within this disasterclass of a structure.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous