IGNORED

Watford away match thread

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Ballsy that from Manning to drop James and I respect it. I rate James and think he's been a good player for us, but I am sensing this is the beginning of the end of him with his career at City.

Good to see Knight as captain.

I worry if Vyner was given captaincy, we'd see a downturn in form akin to Liam Fontaine. Some are just not happy with the pressure

I do agree, but I guess you could use that argument for Knight as well who has been performing very well without it. I guess Vyner more of a vocal leader and maybe doesn’t need the armband. Anyway pleased for Knight had a great season so far. COYR! 

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Ballsy that from Manning to drop James and I respect it. I rate James and think he's been a good player for us, but I am sensing this is the beginning of the end of him with his career at City.

Good to see Knight as captain.

I worry if Vyner was given captaincy, we'd see a downturn in form akin to Liam Fontaine. Some are just not happy with the pressure

I don’t necessarily see it as beginning of the end, but I do see it as a decision I agree with. Joe was excellent when he came on against Hull and gives that extra energy in there. It then has to be considered that we’re playing 3 games in 6 days and I’m not sure MJ could last all of those as he’s had niggling knocks and is the oldest man in the squad.

Decent decision for me.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1
4 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Because we have a game on Friday. Just rotation over a busy period. Would’ve liked to see Wells start today however good side. Take a point 

I’m the same as you, I would have liked to see Wells start.

I feel with an away game like this, maybe he holds the ball up better, but I trust Manning. 

Merry Christmas everyone, I hope you and your families all had a great day. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, TommyD68 said:

Knight captain over Vyner is an interesting call, not sure I agree with that one 🤔

I’d rather Zak concentrated in his own game.  I want him back “on it” and not having to make last ditch tackles.

9 minutes ago, One Team said:

Anyone know why James is on the bench? Always see him as one of it not the first name on the first XI team sheet personally. 

Combination of rotation and he wasn’t great on Friday.  speculation from me he was one of the ones with sickness bug last week.

7 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

Definitely looks like he's on the decline and I don't think he really suits the way manning wants to play either.

He’s been as steady / decent as ever this season, overall.  No decline imho.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, westred1 said:

He’s so heavily involved it’s not a major surprise to see James rested.

Williams was good v Hull.

The combination of Williams/James never really worked as they’re very similar in their style. TGH is the obvious alternative with one of them dropping to the bench. Against Hull it was JW and today it’s James.

It took longer than I thought for Manning to realise that.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

The combination of Williams/James never really worked as they’re very similar in their style. TGH is the obvious alternative with one of them dropping to the bench. Against Hull it was JW and today it’s James.

It took longer than I thought for Manning to realise that.

Perhaps we could speed the transition process up by your arranging weekly meetings with LM to keep him up to speed on these things. 😉😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

There are always a few eager to write James off. It's been that way for ages. It's wearying. What are people watching?

I and others have said many times that you sometimes don't notice him that much when he's playing, but you bloody well  notice when he isn't. Still under-appreciated after his time with the club, and still a very, very good player.

There are games (though not many) when you could dispense with him, but there are many more when, frankly, you'd be screwed without him. Experience, leadership, composure, reading the game, retaining possession... The old cliche applies: be careful what you wish for.  

• Like 3
8 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Do you remember the joke shop there? Selling many practical joke items. Great place for fun.

Sorry to ruin your memories. The bloke that ran it was convicted of child sex offences that spanned 30-odd years, he was jailed for a long time along with another well-known Bristol face Sapphire, a shame as I have fond memories of the place as well. 

Edited by pillred
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, pillred said:

Sorry to ruin your memories. The bloke that ran it was convicted of child sex offences that spanned 30-odd years, he was jailed for a long time along with another well-known Bristol face Saphire, a shame as I have fond memories of the place as well. 

Never knew that TBH

1 minute ago, CliftonCliff said:

There are always a few eager to write James off. It's been that way for ages. It's wearying. What are people watching?

I and others have said many times that you sometimes don't notice him that much when he's playing, but you bloody well  notice when he isn't. Still under-appreciated after his time with the club, and still a very, very good player.

There are games (though not many) when you could dispense with him, but there are many more when, frankly, you'd be screwed without him. Experience, leadership, composure, reading the game, retaining possession... The old cliche applies: be careful what you wish for.  

Very true Cliff - the same criticism of Cole Skuse was prevalent largely because they couldn’t see what a solid role he played.

it’s the same with James. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

James dropping to the bench could be due to light injury or was one affected by the bug the other day or big decision, but thought Williams was good when he came on. It is a squad game particularly over Xmas.

He isn't on the bench

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Malago said:

I see Williams for James as no more than rotation.  Expect to see James back in the team on Friday.

We said this before about James, but he is still a class player. Most likely can't do twice a week every week anymore,  but he is still key. He gets written off, then he does a 'millwall' and then he is cream of the crop... 

1 minute ago, CliftonCliff said:

I know what you’re saying here. Hes one of those players that quietly goes about his role, without any bell and whistles. 

People will laugh at this, but I don’t care. I think Cole Skuse is one of our most underrated players in the last decade. 

• Like 1