IGNORED

Watford away match thread

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The combination of Williams/James never really worked as they’re very similar in their style. TGH is the obvious alternative with one of them dropping to the bench. Against Hull it was JW and today it’s James.

It took longer than I thought for Manning to realise that.

How are Williams & James similar in style. Complete opposites 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The combination of Williams/James never really worked as they’re very similar in their style. TGH is the obvious alternative with one of them dropping to the bench. Against Hull it was JW and today it’s James.

It took longer than I thought for Manning to realise that.

I see them as very different styles.

17 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

There are always a few eager to write James off. It's been that way for ages. It's wearying. What are people watching?

I and others have said many times that you sometimes don't notice him that much when he's playing, but you bloody well  notice when he isn't. Still under-appreciated after his time with the club, and still a very, very good player.

There are games (though not many) when you could dispense with him, but there are many more when, frankly, you'd be screwed without him. Experience, leadership, composure, reading the game, retaining possession... The old cliche applies: be careful what you wish for.  

Yep, he has been an important cog in the  team. Every team needs one. I accept he’s not in his youth but we need to be mindful as we transition away from players like Matty James. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I know what you’re saying here. Hes one of those players that quietly goes about his role, without any bell and whistles. 

People will laugh at this, but I don’t care. I think Cole Skuse is one of our most underrated players in the last decade. 

When Mick McCarthy had him at Ipswich, he said more than once that Skuse was the first name on the team sheet, and big Mick had been around a long time and was no mug.

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

How are Williams & James similar in style. Complete opposites 

I was going to add that to my previous comment but decided I'd be wasting my time... You are right, though. Joe at his best, all action, energetic, aggressive, ball-winning, etc. James, deep lying, measured, steady, calm, anchoring the midfield. Very little similarity. 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I see them as very different styles.

Yep, he has been an important cog in the  team. Every team needs one. I accept he’s not in his youth but we need to be mindful as we transition away from players like Matty James. 

It there is difference it’s that Williams is more combative and wins more ball than James but that apart they both sit comfortably in midfield - two solid players that are hard work to play against but neither are particularly creative whereas TGH provides more ‘flair’.