IGNORED

Name a worse city game than that…

If anyone here has seen a worse performance than the first ten minutes of the Swindon game under ward id be amazed, pretty sure we were three down by then, second half we should have won! Recall going to Torquay and getting a embarrassing chasing, think we were 3 1 down and one point and got a very lucky draw

37 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Think a few of you misunderstood the question. I was saying it was the worse performance in a while, that clearly wasn’t the case. I was saying it was the worse all round experience for a long time.

Even some of the games mentioned, 6-0 home loss to Cardiff for example, at least there was an atmosphere, albeit hostile. People showed they cared.

Yesterday there was nothing, absolutely nothing. Performance was shocking, the atmosphere was nonexistent. I don’t remember one chant being sung. It was a chore for everyone that was there, players included.

If you had gone down for the first time ever yesterday, I don’t you’d be in any rush to return at any point!

I joined in with several chants, S82 did try. 

What a question! I mean, finding examples of great success are pretty hard to find, but on the other end of the scale, crap rubbish has been our speciality. Surprisingly so these last 2 decades when we have had "unprecedented backing" by a multi-billionaire. 

34 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I give you watching us let in 7 at Northampton in the early '80s, travelling up to Tranmere on a Friday night in '89 to watch us lose 6-0 and every game against Rovers in the 1980's

I don't think *every* game against them though. Not "One nil down, two-one up, we knocked Rovers out the cup". There may have been others.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Think a few of you misunderstood the question. I was saying it was the worse performance in a while, that clearly wasn’t the case. I was saying it was the worse all round experience for a long time.

Even some of the games mentioned, 6-0 home loss to Cardiff for example, at least there was an atmosphere, albeit hostile. People showed they cared.

Yesterday there was nothing, absolutely nothing. Performance was shocking, the atmosphere was nonexistent. I don’t remember one chant being sung. It was a chore for everyone that was there, players included.

If you had gone down for the first time ever yesterday, I don’t you’d be in any rush to return at any point!

I raise you a cold wet New Year’s Day against Reading, a few years ago under Lee Johnson. Zero atmosphere, everybody hung over and downbeat after a poor run. Our only game plan was to stifle Reading, and it totally killed the game as a spectacle but a fortunate penalty and scrappy Tammy goal somehow saw us 2-0 up.

Despite the score line, it was clear that nobody believed in us and expected us to throw it away. As soon as they scored their first, everyone was resigned to defeat which happened in the most spineless gutless fashion to lose 3-2. Awful. I took a friend, he hated it. I’d never felt so close to packing in football as I did that day. Perhaps not the dullest game or most inept performance ever but certainly the worst experience overall, especially given that I really can’t stand Reading.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 1

I think the fact that people going for a piss got me off my seat far more than anything on the pitch says it all.  As does the fact that it took us 96 minutes to show any sort of fight, and that was a scuffle off the pitch!

Yesterday was an utter disgrace. Williams and to a much lesser extent Pring the only ones who came out of that match with any credit at all.  I agree with the OP - I don't recall a duller afternoon watching City.  Yes, we've had worse results, but even in most of those we've had flashes of entertainment.  Yesterday there was nothing. The only game that sticks out to me was a 3-1(?) home defeat to QPR.  Only the second (and the last) match I've walked out early from.  I took the view then that if City couldn't be bothered to try I couldn't be bothered to stay, but even then we had something to cheer when we took the lead in that one.  If my boy had wanted to leave early yesterday I wouldn't have put up a fight.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I raise you a cold wet New Year’s Day against Reading, a few years ago under Lee Johnson. Zero atmosphere, everybody hung over and downbeat after a poor run. Our only game plan was to stifle Reading, and it totally killed the game as a spectacle but a fortunate penalty and scrappy Tammy goal somehow saw us 2-0 up.

Despite the score line, it was clear that nobody believed in us and expected us to throw it away. As soon as they scored their first, everyone was resigned to defeat which happened in the most spineless gutless fashion to lose 3-2. Awful. I took a friend, he hated it. I’d never felt so close to packing in football as I did that day. Perhaps not the dullest game or most inept performance ever but certainly the worst experience overall, especially given that I really can’t stand Reading.

Liam “effing” Kelly….what is it with the name Kelly!

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I don't think *every* game against them though. Not "One nil down, two-one up, we knocked Rovers out the cup". There may have been others.

It was a figure of speech, of course that cup win there was very special but i think we paid for that for the rest of the decade !!!

I don't even think that yesterday was the worst in Mannings run , I'd say 3rd.

QPR was awful , Birmingham just as bad , but yesterday I thought we were ok for the first 45 and their keeper had to make a save , so there's that.

3 games , 3 shots on target and virtually no excitement , though TBH I'm not massively surprised though I am disappointed. They are trying to move to possession based football and I think we sometimes become risk adverse . Several times a ball is on but it could mean we may lose the ball, Pring apologised a couple of times as he spotted a run but didn't play the ball. I'm hoping as they settle into the way Manning wants us to play, we will spot and feed those runs.
But as we progress, and until we either add players or learn how to play with more threat I think we could get these games. Add that Championship learn quickly, so more teams will set up the same as Birmingham did. 
Next step for LM is to find a way to win as we are or be able to change things in game.

1 hour ago, johnbytheriver said:

I am prepared to put it down to fatigue,most players had nothing left in their legs,after 4 games in such a short space of time, nowhere near the worst  game and we still passed the ball around well at times.

Passed it around  sideways & backwards. 

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

It was a figure of speech, of course that cup win there was very special but i think we paid for that for the rest of the decade !!!

We certainly did with *that* new years day game at Ashton Gate. Same score as yesterday, but still more peed off about it than I could ever be about yesterday!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Yeah 2-0 up with 20 to go you’d usually be confident of at least a point but during that run of defeats it just felt like we were going to lose every game.

Around the 70th minute I put money on Reading to win as insurance, I thought that if these useless bastards are going to throw it away my kids might as well have a nice holiday somewhere sunny.

My kids were begging to leave it was that bad. Such a disgraceful performance and Manning and his players need to understand the impact that sort of pathetic display has on people. No excuse for it, can handle losing like v Norwich where we were decent in spells, but yesterday was a shocking performance all around. Poor. 

Just thought I'd provide a little balance with regards to the City vs Rovers comments.

For perspective, in the 1980's we were unbeaten in 11 matches, compared to Rovers being unbeaten in 15 matches. 

However, moving into the more recent 1990's, City were unbeaten in 12 matches, compared to Rovers being unbeaten in 9 matches.

We did however win MORE matches against Rovers in the 1990's compared to how many times they beat us in the 1980's

image.thumb.png.2ef43537e20955674fb9f14fff874dd5.png

There have been hundreds of worse games. But walking back in the soaking rain on the first day of a year I'm not particularly relishing did make it seem more miserable than most. Late goals always sicken you more than if we'd conceded in the first half - but you drop the same points either way. 

To add to the gloom most of the boozers I frequent were closed. Had to stop in the Temple Inn to get some consolation pints. 

18 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Manning has been winning me round in recent weeks, which is natural given the results. Still find the football a bit boring, but everyone will have their own opinion.

So this isn’t a dig at him, but can you name a worse city game than what we witnessed today? Everything from performance to atmosphere and even the weather was just completely not there today. It has to be the one of, if it the worse, days at football for a long long time.

I even lost my Westham tickets until found this morning  i felt as if my football world had fallen in   

19 hours ago, glynriley said:

Losing at home to Sheffield United under SOD. Proper miserable. 

Today has reminded me of one of my favourite songs though…

Ah. The one I actually fell asleep at. And I was sat in the old EE as well. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TV Tom said:

I give you watching us let in 7 at Northampton in the early '80s, travelling up to Tranmere on a Friday night in '89 to watch us lose 6-0 and every game against Rovers in the 1980's

Your another one then Tom that remembers the 80s against that lot ,good thing is think we are slowly clawing it back with them so far behind in attendances , ground structure and never been above us for 20 odd years but the 80s were pretty brutal playing them