IGNORED

Trouble by park

Topper 123

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not sure really, but I know during wartime the Bristol area had a sizeable Polish contingent based around here, a number of whom stayed post-War.  Hence the excellent Polish Club in Clifton. 

And the Polish church on Cheltenham Road.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fisherrich said:

Ashton Gate needs to be much more intimidating to away fans and teams. Just like the 80s.
We actually win a few games cause they don’t like a bit of aggression from little old Bristol City.

on the pitch I can get it, but do you really believe that being intimidating to away fans outside of the ground is going to have any effect on the result at all?

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Christ the King primary in KW and St. Bernadette Secondary, I”m talking ‘70-‘80

Yep, totally forgot Christ the King was the one in KW.

Pius was Hartcliffe.

50s-late 70s were the tail-end of the hey days of corporal punishment. Them sanctimonious priests, and oh-so-holy nuns and brothers certainly knew how to dish it out.

They would have been in their element on the terraces.

But hey, a few “Our Fathers” and a couple of “Hail Mary’s” and all is forgiven.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Pius was Hartcliffe.

50s-late 70s were the tail-end of the hey days of corporal punishment. Them sanctimonious priests, and oh-so-holy nuns and brothers certainly knew how to dish it out.

One or two of the nuns could be a bit tasty, the priests were fine especially Father Richard when at CTK, he”s been at St. Nicks in Old Market for 30 years now and well respected in the community, one or two of the teachers at Bernadette’s were complete psychopaths !!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Pius was Hartcliffe.

Wow, I played against CTK about 40 years ago when I played for Tidenham U14’s. Friendly played at Offa’s Mead primary school in Sedbury. Got a commerative badge in attic somewhere.

5 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Yes. we do have a fairly large Polish contingent.

Many of the latest cadre (including other Eastern Europeans) were "recruited" by their City-supporting workmates, and UK-born Poles (including their descendents) who have been following City since the 1960s. So they have been with us much longer than the Czechs and others you mention, and who, very possibly, were brought on-board by the Poles.

There were always around 20 or so Polaks in the East End (and later the Park End) when we were pushing for promotion in the early 70's and throughout our time in the old First Division. They came from all parts of Bristol. Many followed us both home and away. Several went around with well-known mobs throughout Bristol and had close affiliations with certain Irish, Italian and Sicilian groups.

Three of those original Bristol Polaks (this is what they called themselves) still attend home games along with a sizeable number of family members. They sometimes fly those Polish flags (red and white of course with a Golden or White Eagle), so it should be easy enough to spot them.

Group of Poles I worked with in Avounmouth, living in Taunton and Bridgwater. 

come to some home matches, not saying they're hooligans.

3 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Pius was Hartcliffe.

Nun teachers were brutal, I went to CTK and St Bernadette '60s

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red Skin said:

And the Polish Church 

Yes. Went to school with lots of Polish kids, (many of whom, as has been said, lived in the St Andrews Zealand Rd Bishopston areas) in the 60s and 70s most of them were Catholic and their parents had come over either during it slightly after WW2. 

Never met one I didn’t like. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

Yes. Went to school with lots of Polish kids, (many of whom, as has been said, lived in the St Andrews Zealand Rd Bishopston areas) in the 60s and 70s most of them were Catholic and their parents had come over either during it slightly after WW2. 

Never met one I didn’t like. 

It’s funny isn’t it.  Like you all Polish people and people of Polish descent (first generation) that I’ve met could not be any nicer and kinder and good people. A bloke at my dads work was especially helpful to him when he fell very ill - literally kindness personified. Likewise I’ve had great bosses (he was even a Gashead!) and colleagues, one of whom have turned into a very good mate.  It’s a part of the make up as to why that vote a while back hurt so much and to me was just nonsensical - but we won’t go there!!! 

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Remember being told at school a plane came down in ww2, behind the angel in long Ashton and the pilot was polish

Yes, that's right. There's a memorial in All Saints Church. Polish Memorial | Long Ashton Parish Council 

"All those who witnessed the incident were unanimous in their agreement that the reason why there were no civilian casualties was entirely due to the skilful flying by the Polish aircrew who in the face of impending death still managed to steer the aircraft away from local houses, school and shops."

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 5

Some games the atmosphere around south Bristol , Ashton and along coronation road / north street can be quite friendly with good bars pubs resturants etc etc , but when away fans give it large on social media and start singing shite about Bristol in a derogatory way it becomes a different place . I think a few sides have realised that over the years and gone away with their tale between there legs , I think Tuesday was one of those nights from what I have been told 🚜🥊

• Like 5

On 17/01/2024 at 11:38, Robbored said:

Walking towards the underpasses post match two policemen were stood at the footpath by the cottages. There was an overwhelming smell of weed everywhere and I asked one if they could smell it - he grinned and shrugged his shoulders………:dunno:

Shrugged his shoulders!!!

The b☆☆☆☆☆d!  Did you get his number and report him For gross misconduct? 

They shouldn't be able to get away with stuff like that!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 42nite said:

The shrug was saying “where do I start looking?”……..

11 hours ago, lenred said:

It’s funny isn’t it.  Like you all Polish people and people of Polish descent (first generation) that I’ve met could not be any nicer and kinder and good people. A bloke at my dads work was especially helpful to him when he fell very ill - literally kindness personified. Likewise I’ve had great bosses (he was even a Gashead!) and colleagues, one of whom have turned into a very good mate.  It’s a part of the make up as to why that vote a while back hurt so much and to me was just nonsensical - but we won’t go there!!! 

Honestly I've never met an Eastern European I didn't like, they can never do enough for you.

My Mrs works in autistic adult social care with lots of them and they're constantly buying her snacks, fags and booze, inviting us round for dinner, sending her home with homecooked food for the both of us, going out of their way to be neighbourly and kind. Just the other day she came back with an enormous plate of dumplings and stew that we saw off in one sitting. 

Same goes for the inordinate amount of Zambians I've now met through that bunch - what a stunning group of people they all are. 

• Like 12

14 hours ago, 42nite said:

Why not? They get away with cracking people over the head 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2024 at 11:38, Robbored said:

Walking towards the underpasses post match two policemen were stood at the footpath by the cottages. There was an overwhelming smell of weed everywhere and I asked one if they could smell it - he grinned and shrugged his shoulders………:dunno:

That was me, sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4