IGNORED

Tommy Conway

reddogkev

I'm also waiting for @W-S-M Seagull to find any posts that shows I just support everything LM says? You're probably struggling to find anything..

I have been among one of the biggest critics on this forum about the club since the sacking of NP, but maybe not every single thing is Manager related and player's sometimes need to take responsibility for their own performances.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I'm also waiting for @W-S-M Seagull to find any posts that shows I just support everything LM says? You're probably struggling to find anything..

I have been among one of the biggest critics on this forum about the club since the sacking of NP, but maybe not every single thing is Manager related and player's sometimes need to take responsibility for their own performances.

Any other players you think need to take responsibility for their performances or is TC your biggest issue ?

Just now, Back of the Dolman said:

Any other players you think need to take responsibility for their performances or is TC your biggest issue ?

Yeah, Mehmeti for one, but he needs to not be starting.

For me, Conway last season looked like the most naturally instinctive goalscorer we have had at the club for a very long time. I think there is a real natural talent there, even if his form has deserted him.

However the big challenge he has is that, in a sense, he is a man out of time. 15 or 20 years ago, you could have a natural goalscorer, whack a big man next to him in a 4-4-2 and he could make a career as a poacher. 

With the way the game has evolved tactically, that’s not really an option anymore and - whichever club Conway moves onto- he’ll be expected to have more to his game than just goalscoring instinct.

It could be this season is the making of Tommy. He’s obviously trying to widen his skillset and play a different role. The problem is that learning takes time and he is currently playing with all the grace and pleasure to watch of someone trying to learn a violin in public. 

There is a possibility he will emerge from this a better all round player who has broadened their game and then rediscovers their instinct. There is also a possibility he will be lost in a rabbit hole and never quite master what he is trying to do whilst losing sight of what he is doing well. 

As it stands, you sort of feel like - in Radiohead terms - he’s trying to figure out how to make Kid A whilst everyone wishes he’d just perform Creep. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

For me, Conway last season looked like the most naturally instinctive goalscorer we have had at the club for a very long time. I think there is a real natural talent there, even if his form has deserted him.

However the big challenge he has is that, in a sense, he is a man out of time. 15 or 20 years ago, you could have a natural goalscorer, whack a big man next to him in a 4-4-2 and he could make a career as a poacher. 

With the way the game has evolved tactically, that’s not really an option anymore and - whichever club Conway moves onto- he’ll be expected to have more to his game than just goalscoring instinct.

It could be this season is the making of Tommy. He’s obviously trying to widen his skillset and play a different role. The problem is that learning takes time and he is currently playing with all the grace and pleasure to watch of someone trying to learn a violin in public. 

There is a possibility he will emerge from this a better all round player who has broadened their game and then rediscovers their instinct. There is also a possibility he will be lost in a rabbit hole and never quite master what he is trying to do whilst losing sight of what he is doing well. 

As it stands, you sort of feel like - in Radiohead terms - he’s trying to figure out how to make Kid A whilst everyone wishes he’d just perform Creep. 

Can only hope he doesn’t leave us “High and Dry” in the summer and it’s more a case of the “Jigsaw falling into place”

I’ll get me coat.

16 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

He’s mastering the art of disappearing completely. 

• Like 2

Hoping when he moves on this summer that it will be to a top end promotion competing team, maybe even Burnley or Sheffield Utd as they will likely need a new striker. He won't get game time at a Prem club yet, but playing for a top level Championship team that will create 2 or 3 chances a game for him (he's lucky if he even gets 1 chance here) would see him hit 15-20 goals a season quite comfortably. Some of the comments on here about him are a joke, he's only 21 ffs & being asked to play a tough role whilst having injuries throughout the season.

He could also go down the easier but more illustrious route of a move to Rangers or Celtic, which would probably guarantee him international appearances as well.

Edited by Mr Hankey
  • Like 1

People have mentioned on here about players being over coached and I’ve been one of them (don’t know it for a fact, more an impression, having seen players suddenly stop flying what they were doing naturally) this having a knock on effect to spontaneity. I think Tommy could be a case in point. He talked about improving his defensive play and maybe that’s the problem he’s not cut out to do both. 
 He also mentioned that when he was younger it was all about getting goals but now he knows differently, but I’m not sure that coaching that idea out of a strikers head, is necessarily a good thing. 

He admitted himself that in time and when they’re all thinking the same way, things will click which is great but what about ensuring we’re playing well enough now?

His interview all felt a bit flat, when he’s normally a more positive happy kid. I actually thought he’d do at least as well as Scott when they first emerged, so it’s sad to see this lack of form.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Hoping when he moves on this summer that it will be to a top end promotion competing team, maybe even Burnley or Sheffield Utd as they will likely need a new striker. He won't get game time at a Prem club yet, but playing for a top level Championship team that will create 2 or 3 chances a game for him (he's lucky if he even gets 1 chance here) would see him hit 15-20 goals a season quite comfortably. Some of the comments on here about him are a joke, he's only 21 ffs & being asked to play a tough role whilst having injuries throughout the season.

He could also go down the easier but more illustrious route of a move to Rangers or Celtic, which would probably guarantee him international appearances as well.

Would we sell him to a championship competitor though? Different thing once his contract has expired and it’s his choice.

2 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

People have mentioned on here about players being over coached and I’ve been one of them (don’t know it for a fact, more an impression, having seen players suddenly stop flying what they were doing naturally) this having a knock on effect to spontaneity. I think Tommy could be a case in point. He talked about improving his defensive play and maybe that’s the problem he’s not cut out to do both. 
 He also mentioned that when he was younger it was all about getting goals but now he knows differently, but I’m not sure that coaching that idea out of a strikers head, is necessarily a good thing. 

He admitted himself that in time and when they’re all thinking the same way, things will click which is great but what about ensuring we’re playing well enough now?

His interview all felt a bit flat, when he’s normally a more positive happy kid. I actually thought he’d do at least as well as Scott when they first emerged, so it’s sad to see this lack of form.

You thought he’d do at least as well as Scott? Blimey..

4 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Would we sell him to a championship competitor though? Different thing once his contract has expired and it’s his choice.

Yes. He’s got one year left on his deal in the summer. We will sell him to whoever gives us the best deal rather than risk compensation at contract expiry - whether they’re a top end championship team or a side fighting it out with us for 17th place.

2 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Yeah i think we would, especially if he makes it clear he won't be signing a new deal & if Manning wants to sign a new striker, would make sense to get a couple of million for him instead of nothing in the summer. I also think he would want to make a move to top end team that will create chances, even if it's the same division as us, so if a team like a Burnley came knocking & we rejected, we could have a very unhappy player on our hands.

Would much rather him sign a new deal, but i really don't see this club progressing much in the next 2 or 3 years with the way the club is currently run (not a knock so much at Manning even though i don't think we look very good at all under him, but i can't see any manager succeeding whilst Tubbion has such a big say in matters) so can fully get him wanting out. 

4 hours ago, Ben1980 said:

Seems to have had the life sucked out of him since Nige left (like many of us fans) What happened to the jokey jovial Conway? 

#notbuzzinganymore

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

He doesn't press, he doesn't win any 50/50s, he's not the quickest and he complains most the game. 

He isn't for me i'm afraid.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Well we know he can press because he did it before. He's been told to press less now. 

Do you not think he complains because he's not getting any service? 

If you can produce stats which say he should score more than he has then I'd really like to see those stats, however I very much doubt they exist!

Yep, default is to drop into a block.  Not a low block, quite a high block, but a block nonetheless.  City now wait for a trigger.  Under Nige we tried to force the issue more.  We weren’t a gegen-press either, but the intent was very different to now.

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

@Davefevs can you help me out here? How many chances is Conway getting? How many high quality chances? How many touches in the box etc? 

With my own eyes he looks isolated a lot and is being fed scraps. 

Just looking two little blocks of LM’s time here: (league only)

First block QPR to Hull - 604 mins / 19 shots / touches in pen area 24 / passes received 40

Second Block Watford to Sheffield - 738 mins / 7 shots / touches in pen area 22 / passes received 70

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

I know you're looking to blame the Manager, but from my own eyes he hasn't been at it at all since Rotherham away in October. Stats mean **** all, the eye test has shown me he hasn't been up to it.

Not been at it, or getting completely different service.  60% of his passes received were inside the pen area in that opening block, 31% in the second block, ie he’s being asked to do more outside the box.

Stats aren’t everything, agreed, but the way we are playing is chalk and cheese. Look at where his chances came from in the cup…first time ball from Williams, through he goes to score. Another he was offside.  We’ve stopped creating those opportunities.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

#notbuzzinganymore

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yep, default is to drop into a block.  Not a low block, quite a high block, but a block nonetheless.  City now wait for a trigger.  Under Nige we tried to force the issue more.  We weren’t a gegen-press either, but the intent was very different to now.

First block QPR to Hull - 604 mins / 19 shots / touches in pen area 24 / passes received 40

Second Block Watford to Sheffield - 738 mins / 7 shots / touches in pen area 22 / passes received 70

Not been at it, or getting completely different service.  60% of his passes received were inside the pen area in that opening block, 31% in the second block.

Stats aren’t everything, agreed, but the way we are playing is chalk and cheese. Look at where his chances came from in the cup…first time ball from Williams, through he goes to score. Another he was offside.  We’ve stopped creating those opportunities.

This pretty much sums up where we are.  Why would you hang around when you are not getting the service you need. Tinman used to extol his virtues as being the best finisher in the club, but he’s not being given anything to finish…

Why when he’s on the cusp of international recognition, would he hang about and regress in a team that no longer creates a) chances generally and b) the type of chances he thrives on.

I think in the right environment he’ll be a 15-20 goal a season merchant, but it won’t be here under this regime, still I’m sure we can all find enjoyment with 200+ passes per game across the back 4 with no shots on goal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

#notbuzzinganymore

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Not been at it, or getting completely different service.  60% of his passes received were inside the pen area in that opening block, 31% in the second block, ie he’s being asked to do more outside the box.

My impression / general recall Dave , (where you will be far more accurate)

is that a fair percentage of his career goals , and opportunities tend to come in the first say four or five touches after , the side , winning the ball back , ie shortly after turnover

(You May correct me ! 🤣)

Like , most forwards he likes space to run into , and spaces to find in the box for crosses

Our limited press , and slow build through the thirds resulting in and requiring a different threat or chance creating do absolutely nothing in utilising what he’s good at and his degree of natural instinct 

If as it appears we ‘lose’ him I shall be extremely disappointed , as I genuinely thought and think he has a real something about him , and finding your own home grown goal scorer was a real hit start to hope of building a promotion threatening side (I still believe he’s good enough to be that player)

Will be almost , or , as disappointing , and depressing as the disappearance of NP for me personally,

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, algenon2007 said:

Tommy's off. He really needs a striker like Diedhiou or Semenyo to play off of imo. 

Diedhiou was incapable of playing with a partner.

Little game intelligence or enthusiasm to work in conjunction with a partner

Setting aside how we are currently playing , Id say TCs ideal partner would be mobile , athletic , good movement and intelligence ,not necessarily a significant physical presence 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Setting aside how we are currently playing , Id say TCs ideal partner would be mobile , athletic , good movement and intelligence ,not necessarily a significant physical presence 

Like Nahki under NP?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

We had a little halcyon period with TC playing of Wells in a 2. Both of them on the same wavelength almost in some form of symbiotic relationship of knowing where the other would be, if I recall the pair of them tore Cardiff a new one at Ashton Gate (oh the irony with the next fixture). We’ve moved so far away from that now to the point where 1 is the 60 minute substitute for the other….

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, algenon2007 said:

Tommy's off. He really needs a striker like Diedhiou or Semenyo to play off of imo. 

I disagree with Diedhiou, agree with Semenyo.

15 minutes ago, Atyeo's lift said:

Like Nahki under NP?

Agree.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

We had a little halcyon period with TC playing of Wells in a 2. Both of them on the same wavelength almost in some form of symbiotic relationship of knowing where the other would be, if I recall the pair of them tore Cardiff a new one at Ashton Gate (oh the irony with the next fixture). We’ve moved so far away from that now to the point where 1 is the 60 minute substitute for the other….

21 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Yes , not dissimilar but a younger version with ideally , being picky , just a tad more physical presence I’d say 

LM doesn’t appear to want to play with a pair and with his preferred methods the theory of a partner is somewhat hypothetical.

His idea on a ‘partner’ would be much more in a number 10 role / way and aim not convinced even a good 10 is TCs ideal way

Conway leaving is a bit of a shocker.

Consequences of the clubs actions and I strongly believe he will go on to another club where he’ll kick on and have a career that will have us thinking, damn, how did we let him get away. 

This season we’ve got Mark Ashton flying high with Ipswich (another team overtaking us)

Next season it could be Conway firing a rival to promotion from the championship as we watch him sail by.

Makes you proud doesn’t it!

4 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

This pretty much sums up where we are.  Why would you hang around when you are not getting the service you need. Tinman used to extol his virtues as being the best finisher in the club, but he’s not being given anything to finish…

Why when he’s on the cusp of international recognition, would he hang about and regress in a team that no longer creates a) chances generally and b) the type of chances he thrives on.

I think in the right environment he’ll be a 15-20 goal a season merchant, but it won’t be here under this regime, still I’m sure we can all find enjoyment with 200+ passes per game across the back 4 with no shots on goal.

I'd buy him his bus ticket to Bournemouth, and I don't want him to leave. I just believe that a move away from Ashton Gate will be best for Tommy. He was clearly looking to move on before Manning came - at least one contract offer rejected - and now he's in a team that don't play to his strengths and is looking more and more 'hacked off' (you know what I mean) every week.

I don't see that we will continue to attract exciting young talent when we treat the exciting young talent we already have like that.

• Like 1