IGNORED

Tommy Conway

reddogkev

4 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Was based on Appearances which he would have easily triggered. 

Anything is possible in a contract, but I see absolutely no benefit in Alex having a 4 year contract with an appearance based trigger option?

• Thanks 1

Noticed , watching the goals this morning just how much in the moment he was excited by all three goals and his obvious delight for the scorers Sam and Harry particularly

Thought his reaction was very naturally revealing on camera and really good and says a lot about him

Looked like that City Fan living the dream , even though he wasn’t the scorer or focus of attention

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Just 6 weeks later from the start of this thread and after a run of games where he has faded from action and only started 3 out of the last 6 games maybe he's not quite as valuable and 'Premier League ready' as some people thought 😆

At least we might not have the usual summer sale of a decent young academy player.

Was best in a three with Wells and Bell/Sykes imo

Feeding off scraps from Mehmetti will do his nut in. 

Is Mehmetti the new Weimann? As in won't be dropped so the rest of the team have to fit around him? Hope not. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Just 6 weeks later from the start of this thread and after a run of games where he has faded from action and only started 3 out of the last 6 games maybe he's not quite as valuable and 'Premier League ready' as some people thought 😆

At least we might not have the usual summer sale of a decent young academy player.

System doesn’t suit him whatsoever, we could have Tammy up top and he’d struggle to hit double figures for a season with the way we’re going. 

All points towards him being gone by august. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

System doesn’t suit him whatsoever, we could have Tammy up top and he’d struggle to hit double figures for a season with the way we’re going. 

All points towards him being gone by august. 

Yep - get as much as you can for him now 

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

Yep - get as much as you can for him now 

Sadly I agree. With the management intent on buying a striker I can’t see TC being first choice or part of a two with this manager.

TC has been starved of any kind of service and has been spending his time shuffling across the pitch when we aren’t in possession or feeding off scraps when we are.

I’m not really sure where he’ll go, wouldn’t surprise me to see him in Scotland.

On 17/01/2024 at 11:28, Silvio Dante said:

I I do think he’s going, both because of the contract length and because I don’t think the current style suits him which will naturally make him less attractive as his goal return drops (think it’s 2 open play goals in 12?) - but I’m not sure it’s binary 

**** it, I’ll quote myself….because the position today remains exactly as it was when I wrote this six weeks ago 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Is Mehmetti the new Weimann? As in won't be dropped so the rest of the team have to fit around him? Hope not. 

Weimann was a great all-rounder and usually a dead cert to be in the starting XI. Mr Reliable if you will .

Mehmeti is nowhere near that level. Arguably never will be, either. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:
On 17/01/2024 at 11:28, Silvio Dante said:

I I do think he’s going, both because of the contract length and because I don’t think the current style suits him which will naturally make him less attractive as his goal return drops (think it’s 2 open play goals in 12?) - but I’m not sure it’s binary 

**** it, I’ll quote myself….because the position today remains exactly as it was when I wrote this six weeks ago 

It's like watching a head on collision and not being able to stop it.....

The only way he stays if he signs a new deal.

The only way he signs is if he's enjoying his football.

He can't be enjoying his football because of how we set up .

It is annoying, he made a bit of a reputation playing in a 2 and having great movement, dropping deeper and swapping positions with Wells . It looked a real partnership . Now he told not to move, to stay around the box and play on his own. Another problem is, last year of contract and just not scoring the goals he was. We won't get full value and will do well just to get a straight replacement without spending a lot more than we get.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It's like watching a head on collision and not being able to stop it.....

The only way he stays if he signs a new deal.

The only way he signs is if he's enjoying his football.

He can't be enjoying his football because of how we set up .

It is annoying, he made a bit of a reputation playing in a 2 and having great movement, dropping deeper and swapping positions with Wells . It looked a real partnership . Now he told not to move, to stay around the box and play on his own. Another problem is, last year of contract and just not scoring the goals he was. We won't get full value and will do well just to get a straight replacement without spending a lot more than we get.

Yup. There was a somewhat bizarre argument on another thread that sacking Nige and hiring Liam was justified by the financials.

I think Tommy was gone this summer either way - that contract was on the table for a while and he’d have seen what his mate earnt. However, I don’t think it’s unfair to say that the way Liam has played him over his spell in charge has markedly reduced Tommys value and any theoretical saving from the change in manager has been wiped out by loss in squad value.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yup. There was a somewhat bizarre argument on another thread that sacking Nige and hiring Liam was justified by the financials.

I think Tommy was gone this summer either way - that contract was on the table for a while and he’d have seen what his mate earnt. However, I don’t think it’s unfair to say that the way Liam has played him over his spell in charge has markedly reduced Tommys value and any theoretical saving from the change in manager has been wiped out by loss in squad value.

I agree, TC needs to be both playing and scoring regularly to have any chance of getting a gig in the premier.. The worst outcome could be that he continues to run his contract down and then ends up at somewhere like Coventry on a free.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Weimann was a great all-rounder and usually a dead cert to be in the starting XI. Mr Reliable if you will .

My point was more that the team is built around their inclusion rather than their ability 👍

• Like 1

I do not think his lack of goals will diminish suiters. The scouting machine will be fully aware of how our current style does nothing to embrace his strengths of getting on the end of crosses and latching on to through balls. His tv moments are never forgotten ,his age and potential remain a positive. There are very few better finishers around he simply has been devoid of ammunition.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I wouldn’t put Weimann in the same bracket as Ian Botham, personally

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lotusman said:

I do not think his lack of goals will diminish suiters. The scouting machine will be fully aware of how our current style does nothing to embrace his strengths of getting on the end of crosses and latching on to through balls. His tv moments are never forgotten ,his age and potential remain a positive. There are very few better finishers around he simply has been devoid of ammunition.

I know one of the clubs watching him are fully aware of how Tommy is being impacted by our current way of playing.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Has scored 1 league goal in open play since LM came in. Think that says it all 

Wells has just the one as well . So , 20 games and our main striker ( by position ) has 2 goals in open play . 
That is a worrying stat.

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Has scored 1 league goal in open play since LM came in. Think that says it all 

36 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Wells has just the one as well . So , 20 games and our main striker ( by position ) has 2 goals in open play . 
That is a worrying stat.

Says it all really. 

Despite my severe doubts about Mr Manning I still hope he can do something and things just click. 

However if Mr Manning is still here in July I would be asking for a transfer if I were Tommy. Maybe he can join our real first team at Bournemouth!

• Like 4

He's a natural goal scorer, he has that instinct of where he needs to be and they're quite hard to find. I can understand why you wouldn't want to base your whole game plan around it, but to totally ignore an advantage like that seems strange.  

It's also quite easy to coach that instinct out of someone....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Just listened to his press conference. He isn't signing is he. I'm not a psychologist, but his demeanour completely changed when questioned on it. 

Would you sign?

He’s being played in a system that means he gets less chances, looks less effective and drops his choice of club/ability to move up the ladder the more we play it.

If I was him, there’s no chance in hell I’d sign an extension.

• Like 6
  • Flames 4