IGNORED

Tommy Conway

reddogkev

I rate Conway highly - he's certainly the most natural finisher to come through the academy since Leroy Lita and, whilst Lita went on to make 50 top flight appearances, I think Conway's got the potential to be a much better player. I'm obviously not saying he's anywhere near as good but he does have the type of strikers' instinct that you see in players like Shearer, Owen or Vardy had and that's not an easy thing to coach.

Having said that, the challenge he might find is the current situation with football tactics where clubs tend to play with "forwards" rather than out-and-out strikers and, whilst I always thought Semenyo would ultimately get a Premier League move and do well there, I find it harder to identify which clubs would utilise a Conway-type player in their current systems. Part of me wonders if he'll go on to be one of these players that scores goals for fun in the Championship but never quite establishes himself in the top flight. But I am certain far bigger clubs than us will want to take the risk and find out. 

If we are going to get into Premier League in next 4/5 years , my gut feeling is Tommy needs to be part of it 

How long have we wished for a homegrown striker , fine player , a goal scorer , plenty of room for development 

and seems to have that winners edge about him

Those two goals against West Ham showed real glimpses of quality

His adjustment of his stride pattern to set up his shot on goal at London Stadium

His anticipation for last nights , and how he actually stayed on his feet I’m not sure . to then compose himself to finish - top drawer

• Like 4

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Bloody love this kid, I had no idea he had been with us since he was 7.  That's pretty amazing really, makes you appreciate he must be City through and through.

Loved the interview from the first West Ham game too, when he says  '9,000 of us' rather than '9,000 city fans'.  That's a feeling, not media training. 😁❤️

• Like 2
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 2

There were a few occasions when he first got back where he looked to have lost a yard, last night proved he hadn't. I think he just had to get some games in and forget the injury to fully accept the recovery. 
All he needs now it to be a little more aware when he's offside , time his runs better because he has the beating of most CB's. With luck Twine can feed those runs he makes and he can really take off. 
The pace and calmness were good, but to realise what could happen with the backpass was instinctive . Still on for 20 goals to push us to top 8 :thumbsup:

Just now, 1960maaan said:

There were a few occasions when he first got back where he looked to have lost a yard, last night proved he hadn't. I think he just had to get some games in and forget the injury to fully accept the recovery. 
All he needs now it to be a little more aware when he's offside , time his runs better because he has the beating of most CB's. With luck Twine can feed those runs he makes and he can really take off. 
The pace and calmness were good, but to realise what could happen with the backpass was instinctive . Still on for 20 goals to push us to top 8 :thumbsup:

I hope the bit in bold happens as it generally isn't working with him isolated up top (West Ham aside) and he must be feeling a bit anxious that his own aspirations are being diminished.

His game has been about getting across defenders and on the end of crosses or cut backs and that has dried up.

Hopefully, with Twine involved, it may give us a bit more variety in attack. 

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It was noticeable that he got caught a couple of times not long before he came off. Then Nahki came on and was able to beat it, possibly showing that bit of experience and knowhow that Tommy will pick up in time.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I hope the bit in bold happens as it generally isn't working with him isolated up top (West Ham aside) and he must be feeling a bit anxious that his own aspirations are being diminished.

His game has been about getting across defenders and on the end of crosses or cut backs and that has dried up.

Hopefully, with Twine involved, it may give us a bit more variety in attack. 

There's the problem with inverted wingers and exaggerated by Mehmeti, always cuts inside into traffic rarely crosses and Pring doesn't get many in and not early behind the defence . We have looked hesitant playing him in for his runs, again he makes the runs but rarely gets the pass early enough to capitalise. Some of the offsides come from making the run and needing to get back, but he needs to start bending those runs like Wells does. Then he will be even more of a threat.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Arsenal fan I believe, hence his “bants” with Alex a Spurs fan.

I’m sure he’s a City fan too 😉😉😉

That's fair, all young kids have a Premier league club to follow.  Didn't he also used to share a flat with Alex?  I'm worried Alex will end up tempting him to join him down on the coast.  I can't wait for the day we overtake Bournemouth and start signing their young talent!

• Flames 1

21 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

That's fair, all young kids have a Premier league club to follow.  Didn't he also used to share a flat with Alex?  I'm worried Alex will end up tempting him to join him down on the coast.  I can't wait for the day we overtake Bournemouth and start signing their young talent like that kid Alex Scott 

Fixed

• Like 1

If you're Tommy Conway you'd probably want to wait to the end of the season to take a look of the situation. For example, if he bangs in 10 more goals and then goes to the Euros and then also scores a fee goals there then he's in a position where he can tell us to show him the money. He'll also be in a position where Premier league clubs will be interested. Due to his contract expiring next summer, all those things could put him in the driving seat. 

Why would you sign a contract now and give up you're negotiating power? Yes he's a City fan and I'm sure if he were to leave he'd like to see us get a good fee for him, but ultimately he's seen how much his best mate is now earning at Bournemouth. He'll want to be a millionaire too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If you're Tommy Conway you'd probably want to wait to the end of the season to take a look of the situation. For example, if he bangs in 10 more goals and then goes to the Euros and then also scores a fee goals there then he's in a position where he can tell us to show him the money. He'll also be in a position where Premier league clubs will be interested. Due to his contract expiring next summer, all those things could put him in the driving seat. 

Why would you sign a contract now and give up you're negotiating power? Yes he's a City fan and I'm sure if he were to leave he'd like to see us get a good fee for him, but ultimately he's seen how much his best mate is now earning at Bournemouth. He'll want to be a millionaire too.

I think everyone agrees with this, and everyone would do the same. However, don't masquerade that this means everything to you, you're a huge fan etc, if your sole interest is yourself. He could easily sign a one year extension on an increased wage, with agreed wage increase after x amount of goals, international appearances, and an agreement in place, that we will allow him to talk to another club, if a valuation is met. None of these are going to hinder his career or prevent him moving on. 

I'm pretty sure, as a key player at the club, his contract offer reflects that, so regardless of how he performs, we are probably not in any position to show him the money. Protecting his value is the right thing to do. He's our player for the next 18 months, and if he wants to use that to barter a "show me the money" deal or to maximise interest by seeing out his contract to leave for compensation, then it's actually us who holds the bargaining chips, as we can ask him to signal his intentions, and if there is no intention to commit to a new deal, you make it clear to him, he will be sold in the summer to the highest bidder, and his game time will be reflected as a player who is not considered part of the future of the club. 

This could end up turning into another Massengo. At least Scott signed an extension to 2026, whilst making his intentions clear. 

33 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

and his game time will be reflected as a player who is not considered part of the future of the club. 

You make it sound like we have leverage. Not only would we make ourselves weaker on the pitch, we would lessen the value of one of our biggest assets. It makes no sporting, or commercial sense.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Red white and red said:

Lansdown told the ‘customers’ not to get too attached to players. Conway is probably gone in the summer to bolster that nest egg. 

On this occasion it won’t be about his nest egg it will be because the club are likely aware of things we are not in regards to Conway and his current thinking. Let’s be honest, and I’m not SL biggest fan, but i don’t think selling TC will impact his life in the slightest.

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You make it sound like we have leverage. Not only would we make ourselves weaker on the pitch, we would lessen the value of one of our biggest assets. It makes no sporting, or commercial sense.

No I said, if he doesn't make his intentions clear. 

I,e, sign a contract or formally request a transfer. 

5 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

At least Scott signed an extension to 2026, whilst making his intentions clear. 

Pretty sure he didn't.

Much as I like Scott and wish him all the best and track his progress with interest..he signed his contract his 4 year contract in 2021.

In January last year SL confirmed there was a new contract on the table but it never did get signed, this summer he had 2 years left, sold for record fee.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pretty sure he didn't.

Much as I like Scott and wish him all the best and track his progress with interest..he signed his contract his 4 year contract in 2021.

In January last year SL confirmed there was a new contract on the table but it never did get signed, this summer he had 2 years left, sold for record fee.

We had an extra year option on his contract, so we could have triggered an extra year in his final year, so effectively we could have had him until 2026. 

Just now, robinforlife2 said:

We had an extra year option on his contract, so we could have triggered an extra year in his final year, so effectively we could have had him until 2026. 

Nothing in reports at the time or subsequently but then they aren't always reported in real time.we could have done that and sold him summer 2024 then. Or January 2024 at worst.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Nothing in reports at the time or subsequently but then they aren't always reported in real time.we could have done that and sold him summer 2024 then. Or January 2024 at worst.

He told the club last Xmas he wanted to go. He was asked to stay until the end of the season and the club would sell him in the summer. He agreed to this. Don't want to say too much, but someone I know works at Bournemouth and they were ready to buy last January but when they were informed Scott had agreed to see out the season, they then agreed a deal for Semenyo. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

He told the club last Xmas he wanted to go. He was asked to stay until the end of the season and the club would sell him in the summer. He agreed to this. Don't want to say too much, but someone I know works at Bournemouth and they were ready to buy last January but when they were informed Scott had agreed to see out the season, they then agreed a deal for Semenyo. 

With respect, I couldn't really care about what sequence of events found favour with Bournemouth.

If it's an option in favour of club, well clearly can't ask much but was it a Gentleman's Agreement of some kind?

I am still sceptical about the idea that there was a Year Option in Scott's contract..if in the Club's favour sounds like we capitulated a bit?

Unless there is a buyout clause there is zero obligation on a club to sell and if the year option was in favour of us then we could easily have activated it to buy time and protect the valuation for a little longer.

If in favour of Scott or has to be mutually agreed that's different of course.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

With respect, I couldn't give a toss about what found favour with Bournemouth.

If it's an option in favour of club, well clearly can't ask much but was it a Gentleman's Agreement of some kind?

I am still sceptical about the idea that there was a Year Option in Scott's contract..if in the Club's favour sounds like we capitulated a bit?

Unless there is a buyout clause there is zero obligation on a club to sell and if the year option was in favour of us then we could easily have activated it to buy time and protect the valuation for a little longer.

Was based on Appearances which he would have easily triggered. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

With respect, I couldn't give a toss about what found favour with Bournemouth.

You wouldn’t typically give a young player a year option in his favour…it would be in club’s favour.

• Thanks 1