IGNORED

Tommy Conway

reddogkev

I found it quite interesting that, when talking about TC, Manning always talks about getting him to learn and focus on defensive play.

I’m not saying that’s wrong as such, but it does support the narrative of Manning forcing the squad to bend to his style, rather than him bending to the players he has.

If I was TC, I wouldn’t sign a new contract. He clearly isn’t an exact match for our new style, and may very well find himself on the bench for a couple of years if he hangs around. Manning isn’t adapting his approach.

• Like 2

Had to turn off the press conference interview, perhaps its my insomnia causing frustration, but i feel hes towing the party line, which he has to do in public, but i dont believe what hes saying any more than he does. in terms of the system and behaviours b.s,he has been hung out to dry. To win a game at some point you have to score, and hes really the best chance we have of scoring goals, the side needs to be set up to create chances for him if we insist on playing 1 striker, and its the game plan that’s messed up, combined with a lack of creativity. Perhaps if twine could have played more it would have been different?

8 hours ago, 2015 said:

Kid's the leader of his own fanclub in my opinion. I don't rate him highly if i'm honest.

See ya later, we can get better in the Summer imo and I think LM will think that too.

Even of the replacement was Haaland he'd still do no better in this team. 

We don't create chances for our strikers, that's the problem! 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just like game two Dave. Boro home, going nowhere. Nothing created. Goal from nothing as I profess to this day TGH got pissed off (or too emotional) and sad “sod the process” and smacked one in.

Exactly. Moments earlier he had been booed for going backwards again. In fact the whole ground was getting edgy and on the point of 'turning.'

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Had to turn off the press conference interview, perhaps its my insomnia causing frustration, but i feel hes towing the party line, which he has to do in public, but i dont believe what hes saying any more than he does. in terms of the system and behaviours b.s,he has been hung out to dry. To win a game at some point you have to score, and hes really the best chance we have of scoring goals, the side needs to be set up to create chances for him if we insist on playing 1 striker, and its the game plan that’s messed up, combined with a lack of creativity. Perhaps if twine could have played more it would have been different?

Agree- looks to be toeing the party line. Doesn’t say anything with much conviction or enthusiasm. Pretty damning in terms of body language. 

Seems to have had the life sucked out of him since Nige left (like many of us fans) What happened to the jokey jovial Conway? 

4 minutes ago, Ben1980 said:

Agree- looks to be toeing the party line. Doesn’t say anything with much conviction or enthusiasm. Pretty damning in terms of body language. 

Seems to have had the life sucked out of him since Nige left (like many of us fans) What happened to the jokey jovial Conway? 

Not only Nige, but AS and 'Daddy,' too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ben1980 said:

TC like most players say all the right things. They’re not likely to criticise their manager or the club - they’re employees after all.

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not only Nige, but AS and 'Daddy,' too.

Good point. In any workplace you have a few relationships that make it worth going in, and when those go it naturally leads to enjoying the job less. People leave and Scott going was unavoidable - but Pearson wasn’t and although there was a case for Weimann, to replace him with someone you’re never going to sign on a vanity basis - as was said on here at the time - was bonkers.

The kid wasn’t staying anyway. But he’s lost a load of his support network and our head coach has reduced his market value. If anyone thinks he’s signing a new deal they’ve got several screws loose.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

TC like most players say all the right things. They’re not likely to criticise their manager or the club - they’re employees after all.

Yeah agree. No player other than very rare exceptions will do anything different. As such, the only thing we can judge on is the delivery and body language. 

Sure he’ll still have motivation to do well - securing a better next club and Scotland. But in my opinion, his motivation to do well for Bristol City is lower than it was. 

17 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Brings me back to what style, methods/shape is Manning trying to implement? I’ve asked this before but apart from ‘better structure’ not even the students of the game on here can answer.

I’d certainly like to see more front foot attacking football than we’ve seen in the last two games.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Brings me back to what style, methods/shape is Manning trying to implement? I’ve asked this before but apart from ‘better structure’ not even the students of the game on here can answer.

I’d certainly like to see more front foot attacking football than we’ve seen in the last two games.

Shame really, all the posters that could clearly see what Manning was doing and were excited by it have disappeared. Otherwise they could have explained what they were seeing.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Shame really, all the posters that could clearly see what Manning was doing and were excited by it have disappeared. Otherwise they could have explained what they were seeing.

And those that havent just constantly say "He's not got his own players" 

I still chuckle about the fact I'd get home from watching the most dull game ever and there was posters telling me we now play "sexy football" 

• Like 4

I think the Radio Bristol interview by BT demonstrated to anyone listening that the club as well as I'm sure Tommy's future is away from City.

"We're looking for a big 6ft 2in, physical forward, that is quick and strong and can run the channels. He has to have 200+ league games etc etc"

I'm paraphrasing here a little, but the gist of course, is it's not Tommy.

Cue a move for a couple of million (all he's worth in the current climate unfortunately) to a club like Burnley, who will utilise his skill set properly, rather than trying to turn him into some form of Harry Kane.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Even of the replacement was Haaland he'd still do no better in this team. 

He doesn't press, he doesn't win any 50/50s, he's not the quickest and he complains most the game. 

He isn't for me i'm afraid.

36 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

There are three posters on here whose opinion I value on footballing methods. They have an impressive depth of knowledge about the beautiful game but none of them have yet explained what Manning is trying to implement.

If these guys can’t understand what the aim is then I’m buggered if I know……….:dunno:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 2015 said:

He doesn't press, he doesn't win any 50/50s, he's not the quickest and he complains most the game. 

He used to press like a maniac, he can win 50/50's. Has only been complaining in game since December (bourne out of sheer frustration). He will score bag fulls of goals in the right set up.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Well we know he can press because he did it before. He's been told to press less now. 

Do you not think he complains because he's not getting any service? 

If you can produce stats which say he should score more than he has then I'd really like to see those stats, however I very much doubt they exist!

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

He used to press like a maniac, he can win 50/50's. Has only been complaining in game since December (bourne out of sheer frustration). He will score bag fulls of goals in the right set up.

Yep. Put him in a team like West Brom, Hull, Coventry etc and he scores 15-20 easily. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Well we know he can press because he did it before. He's been told to press less now. 

Do you not think he complains because he's not getting any service? 

If you can produce stats which say he should score more than he has then I'd really like to see those stats, however I very much doubt they exist!

Well yeah he should be scoring more. Maybe you need to check his scoring stats because without penalties it's pathetically low for a player who is rated as high as he is. Cornick, Bell, Knight and Wells have more.

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

His hold up play is also pretty poor..

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

There are three posters on here whose opinion I value on footballing methods. They have an impressive depth of knowledge about the beautiful game but none of them have yet explained what Manning is trying to implement.

If these guys can’t understand what the aim is then I’m buggered if I know……….:dunno:

I'm no expert. 

However what we wanted was a head coach who would get us playing high intensity attacking front foot pressing football. 

From what I've seen Manning is quite defensive. Bizarrely that was the first thing he concentrated on when he came here and he has continued down that path. 

I've not seen anything to suggest he can improve our goal output. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Well yeah he should be scoring more. Maybe you need to check his scoring stats because without penalties it's pathetically low for a player who is rated as high as he is. Cornick, Bell, Knight and Wells have more.

@Davefevs can you help me out here? How many chances is Conway getting? How many high quality chances? How many touches in the box etc? 

With my own eyes he looks isolated a lot and is being fed scraps. 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

@Davefevs can you help me out here? How many chances is Conway getting? How many high quality chances? How many touches in the box etc? 

With my own eyes he looks isolated a lot and is being fed scraps. 

I know you're looking to blame the Manager, but from my own eyes he hasn't been at it at all since Rotherham away in October. Stats mean **** all, the eye test has shown me he hasn't been up to it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And those that havent just constantly say "He's not got his own players" 

I still chuckle about the fact I'd get home from watching the most dull game ever and there was posters telling me we now play "sexy football" 

I’ve searched the phrase “sexy football” and since Manning came in you are the only one to say it. 5 times. You keep saying posters said we play sexy football and literally nobody has used that phrase apart from you! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I know you're looking to blame the Manager, but from my own eyes he hasn't been at it at all since Rotherham away in October. Stats mean **** all, the eye test has shown me he hasn't been up to it.

Of course I'm going to blame the Manager cos ultimately its his fault Tommy AND others are not scoring. 

What's happening here is that Manning puts out in his interviews that his game plans are perfect but it's the players not executing the plan and they are at fault. 

We then see posters such as yourself saying the exact same thing as Manning. I'm gonna name this phenomenon as the 'Manning effect' 

It's all propaganda with the intended purpose of shifting the blame from those responsible and absorbing them of any accountability. 

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:from my own eyes he hasn't been at it at all since Rotherham away in October. Stats mean **** all, the eye test has shown me he hasn't been up to it.

Stats measure everything a player does so say that stats mean nothing is ridiculous.

You saying that ‘he’s not been up to it’ can be clarified by stats that DaveFev is excellent at gathering.

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

. We then see posters such as yourself saying the exact same thing as Manning. I'm gonna name this phenomenon as the 'Manning effect' 

It's all propaganda with the intended purpose of shifting the blame from those responsible and absorbing them of any accountability. 

You clearly have never ever read many of my posts then.

10 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

I’ve searched the phrase “sexy football” and since Manning came in you are the only one to say it. 5 times. You keep saying posters said we play sexy football and literally nobody has used that phrase apart from you! 

Calling me a liar? 

"I think the football under Liam is pretty sexy at times"

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

It could be a case of Tommy having reached a level for a spell that he will never replicate.

It could be that he is unhappy at the club following the sackings (also AS but on the cards for ages)

It could be he hates how Manning sets up the team.

Whatever it is, he has lost his mojo, and will be at another club next season when we will see if he is the real deal or a flash in the pan.