IGNORED

That Liverpool Tribute Then…

Silvio Dante

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m sure I bring this up every time Escape To Victory is mentioned, but as I understand it John Warks accent was so bad they dubbed him in the final cut, and Stallone was such an arsehole that he genuinely fancied himself as a keeper so bet Pele - Pele! - that he couldn’t score six spot kicks past him. He got near to one and dislocated his finger.

And the overhead kick - one take.

I found this from an Ipswich podcast online. Talks about his career (mostly about Ipswich for obvious reasons) but also covers that movie and his time with us (safe to say he didn’t think much of Denis Smith) i didn’t realise he stayed in the area for around 30 years 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

I found this from an Ipswich podcast online. Talks about his career (mostly about Ipswich for obvious reasons) but also covers that movie and his time with us (safe to say he didn’t think much of Denis Smith) i didn’t realise he stayed in the area for around 30 years 

Imagine his children were starting or in school about the time he was here so stayed put for that?

1 hour ago, Swede said:

In all honesty I think its good we have a former players association, its about time. I do wonder though whether in 30 years time we'll be flying in Ivan Testimitanu, Famara Dhiedhiou or Hörður Magnússon from Moldova, Iceland or Timbuctu for an impromptu cheer around the pitch. How on earth will they find or even locate them?

Due to rising sea levels, mate, we'll all be living cheek by jowl by then, it'll just be a case of making an announcement "would Ivan Testimitanu, Famara Dhiedhiou or Hordour Magnússon please report to the VIP entrance so's we can bring you out at half-time" over the Dolman tannoy ....   

4 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Due to rising sea levels, mate, we'll all be living cheek by jowl by then, it'll just be a case of making an announcement "would Ivan Testimitanu, Famara Dhiedhiou or Hordour Magnússon please report to the VIP entrance so's we can bring you out at half-time" over the Dolman tannoy ....   

No chance of seeing them then.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

The state of this thread. We are a club that has pretty much achieved nothing over the years and nowhere near being a big club and basically all we have as memories are wins against Liverpool and Man United.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

We could have celebrated something more memorable - e.g. City’s first set of floodlights from 70 years ago. They were unique as each one could be lowered to the ground to change the bulb!  You don’t get that with these new fangled lights.

Harry Dolman had them manufactured by his company, so Marina could have come onto the pitch with a lightbulb and some fuses

IMG_5430.jpeg

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Super said:

The state of this thread. We are a club that has pretty much achieved nothing over the years and nowhere near being a big club and basically all we have as memories are wins against Liverpool and Man United.

We were in the top division for four seasons (and obviously 90 odd years before that). It is worth noting that football existed before the Premier League came into being. Btw the win against Don Revie's Leeds absolutely obliterates the win at Anfield, that Leeds team were miles ahead of the Liverpool team it's not even a comparison. In fact even the 1-1 draw at Forest was a better result if you look at it from a playing point of view because they went 1st Team to 1st Team with us and we were a third division side.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We were in the top division for four seasons (and obviously 90 odd years before that). It is worth noting that football existed before the Premier League came into being. Btw the win against Don Revie's Leeds absolutely obliterates the win at Anfield, that Leeds team were miles ahead of the Liverpool team it's not even a comparison. In fact even the 1-1 draw at Forest was a better result if you look at it from a playing point of view because they went 1st Team to 1st Team with us and we were a third division side.

Who actually cares what one off game is the bigger result the fact is we have achieved pretty much sod all and random wins is pretty much all we have to look back on.

Just now, Super said:

Who actually cares what one off game is the bigger result the fact is we have achieved pretty much sod all and random wins is pretty much all we have to look back on.

I guess you weren't around when we were in the top flight beating teams like Liverpool (in their pomp), Arsenal, Tottenham and Man United (not every week obviously) and not in one off cup matches. Those that can remember saw that period as one of reasonable achievement, certainly worth more than a 1-0 cup win against a pretty shite Liverpool side - and not an achievement we are likely to emulate under the current ownership.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I guess you weren't around when we were in the top flight beating teams like Liverpool (in their pomp), Arsenal, Tottenham and Man United (not every week obviously) and not in one off cup matches. Those that can remember saw that period as one of reasonable achievement, certainly worth more than a 1-0 cup win against a pretty shite Liverpool side - and not an achievement we are likely to emulate under the current ownership.

A few odd wins against bigger clubs isn't really a reasonable achievement. We have won nothing of note over the years so random wins over the years are all we have to look back on.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

A Kevin Mabbut hattrick at Old Trafford was a rather superior memory for me, as was beating THE Liverpool (Dalglish, Hanson, Souness, Clemence, Neal, Thompson etc)  European Champions at home, a couple of times, the most amazing in front of 38 688 fans. But I would hardly expect a presentation today to commemorate it. Probably the Leyland Daf trophy win, and a first trip to Wembley has more modern significance. But yes, we are sadly somewhat tinpot as we have achieved nothing in our history. For a city the size of Bristol, that IS some achievement. 

We did get relegated in successive seasons from the old Div 1 to Div 4, which was a first in the game (though Wolves also followed that achievement) 

We are one of the most underperforming teams in the history of football.

44 clubs have won the FA Cup, 52 teams have played in the Prem, 23 Teams the FL cup (another 13 runners up, a list that includes Roherham and Rochdale) 

However, where we beat anyone and everyone, and are 54 times champion, is ... The Gloucester Cup. 

Anyway, if people enjoyed the Liverpool game celebration, that is great, who should deny anyone a bit of fun? For others, it is just a harsh reminder at how poor we have been in our history. We peaked too early in 1907/8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Swede said:

In all honesty I think its good we have a former players association, its about time. I do wonder though whether in 30 years time we'll be flying in Ivan Testimitanu, Famara Dhiedhiou or Hörður Magnússon from Moldova, Iceland or Timbuctu for an impromptu cheer around the pitch. How on earth will they find or even locate them?

I'd cheer Ivan!

Peanuts and a piano. Great player.

I kind of remember this tie on the BBC as a kid.

Wasn’t the first game played twice due to a floodlight issue?

Not quite like this but our club  twitter/x page are always bringing up the famous wins and particularly that play off goal v Leicester from Deeney after they missed a penalty which was a great moment but we did then lose the final .

Edited by Markthehorn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

I kind of remember this tie on the BBC as a kid.

Wasn’t the first game played twice due to a floodlight issue?

Not quite like this but our club  twitter/x page are always bringing up the famous wins and particularly that play off goal v Leicester from Deeney after they missed a penalty which was a great moment but we did then lose the final .

Yes the first game was abandoned at 1-1 due to floodlit failure, the rearranged match also ended 1-1 before City won the replay at Anfield.

Highlights were shown on the BBC midweek sports programme. The only live coverage was of the replay when it was broadcast on a big screen at Whitchurch Sports Centre. 

• Like 1

On 20/01/2024 at 20:54, Silvio Dante said:

On a personal basis, I steadfastly refused to clap Russell Osman. Disliked him then and time is no barrier.

Mark Shail appears to have aged better than anyone else.

Interesting that they came out in positional order after the coaching team other than one man.

But I’m sure there were more players mooted - Scott and Edwards I’m sure were on the guest list originally?

And, where the hell were Junior Bent and Liam Robinson??

#JusticeforLiam

Snap no time for osman he got rid of jackie .

On 22/01/2024 at 16:13, pongo88 said:

We could have celebrated something more memorable - e.g. City’s first set of floodlights from 70 years ago. They were unique as each one could be lowered to the ground to change the bulb!  You don’t get that with these new fangled lights.

Harry Dolman had them manufactured by his company, so Marina could have come onto the pitch with a lightbulb and some fuses

IMG_5430.jpeg

I was there to see our new lights and a great Wolves team.

• Robin 1

On 22/01/2024 at 17:01, RollsRoyce said:

A Kevin Mabbut hattrick at Old Trafford was a rather superior memory for me, as was beating THE Liverpool (Dalglish, Hanson, Souness, Clemence, Neal, Thompson etc)  European Champions at home, a couple of times, the most amazing in front of 38 688 fans. But I would hardly expect a presentation today to commemorate it. Probably the Leyland Daf trophy win, and a first trip to Wembley has more modern significance. But yes, we are sadly somewhat tinpot as we have achieved nothing in our history. For a city the size of Bristol, that IS some achievement. 

We did get relegated in successive seasons from the old Div 1 to Div 4, which was a first in the game (though Wolves also followed that achievement) 

We are one of the most underperforming teams in the history of football.

44 clubs have won the FA Cup, 52 teams have played in the Prem, 23 Teams the FL cup (another 13 runners up, a list that includes Roherham and Rochdale) 

However, where we beat anyone and everyone, and are 54 times champion, is ... The Gloucester Cup. 

Anyway, if people enjoyed the Liverpool game celebration, that is great, who should deny anyone a bit of fun? For others, it is just a harsh reminder at how poor we have been in our history. We peaked too early in 1907/8

Some footage of that hatrick 👍

• Thanks 1

**** me you're a miserable lot! What's wrong with a little reminder now and then of what must have been a great memory for a lot of you. Football's a bout having fun and memories, make the most of it!

FWIW younger viewers may not realise just how staggering your result at Leeds was in 74. It's fair to say hen you beat Liverpool , they weren't quite what they were- or even what they are now- but Leeds were undeniably the top team in the country at the time.

Anyway, I'm off to commemorate our play off win at Crewe in the 90s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I was there to see our new lights and a great Wolves team.

And support. They filled the area behind the goal in the East End and sang all the way through the game. 

I can't recall our lot doing that, and I'm pretty sure that's what started our original Eastenders forming and....the rest is history. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong.  👍

On 22/01/2024 at 15:40, Bristol Oil Services said:

when the sea levels rise, Ashton Gate will be one of the first places to go under.

Hope we’re planning for that eventuality.

Thought not. Bloody Lansdowns. 

On 22/01/2024 at 15:22, East Londoner said:

And didn't get flagged offside once. Boom Boom.