IGNORED

Max

GrahamC

37 minutes ago, petehinton said:

It was Maenpaa…when he was ever actually fit to play!

This.

I really liked Maenpaa but his overall availability record was very poor & when he joined Stoke he got injured in his first training session & never played, (which will be news for those who think this only happens to us).

Max has featured around 200 times in our squad now, the debate about his competition is tough because none of us know if Manning thinks Bajic is decent or simply there because he’s low cost.

• Like 2

I'm actually a bit frustrated by this thread -  we are talking about split second decision making in real time - everyone is wise in hindsight. 

The guy has been progressively growing in confidence, has provided consistent performances (albeit with the same distribution issues etc).

In the past I have been extremely critical of MOL - he, for me, has turned a corner - this has resulted in some good sweeper keeper play, some excellent saves and a general feeling of confidence in him and the back four.

Inevitably he will make mistakes - This one cost us two points in a season that we are neither going up or going down. He will learn from this (as will the defenders who switched off for the throw).

He is supposed to be the last line of defence - in reality, at this level, he statistically has a less chance of saving the ball due to the competence of strikers in this league. 

I understand that people will be frustrated and seeking someone to blame. Whilst MOL may have contributed to the goal last night, he was an element in a series of events that lead to our TEAM losing a 2-1 lead. 

Not wishing to be inflammatory - I appreciate that people may see it (feel it) differently to me.

Edited by MelksRed
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, tin said:

That’s fair and IMO - based on the board saying PL is the goal and we have a top-end squad - is that we need someone more solid than Max if we are to achieve that target. 

Nothing against Max; he’s ideal for a team treading water in the second tier, which is exactly what we are. But if he wants to go higher in the game, he needs to cut out those gaffes like last night. 

My only argument is that you don’t have to be PL to get to the PL, you have to be at the top-end Champ.  Once you get promoted you can recruit PL quality.  For avoidance of doubt I’m not talking PP clubs, but clubs like us, Luton, Coventry.

If we assume Max is a middle(ish) table Champ keeper, My question all season has been - can Max hold form in a top-end team, or does he let us down / stop us holding that level.

As it stands we don’t need to find out, because he meets the performance levels required of the whole team - mid-table.  I totally accept we’d need to replace him if we went up.

14 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Nonsense.  Fans give him a tough ride as they can’t bear to be wrong after judging him 3 years ago 

I didnt write him off 3 years ago. He recent performances make me think we need better. 

• Like 1

Max makes fantastic reflex saves, sweeps exceptionally well and will come for crosses when most keepers say at home.  However, he has a problem with shots that bounce in front of him, like last night, because he gets caught with his weight on his heels, falling backwards rather than diving forwards to smother the ball, style Clemance and Shilton.  He also flaps at inswinging corners, but generally gets away with that.

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

But this includes? Range. Variety of passes x length. Short and long and multiple surfaces (striking parts of the foot). 

Considering the team intent, the teams build up play what are the fundamental qualities necessary in the number one? Average ability to distribute the ball, below average or good? 

Do Max O'Leary qualities make him a suitable player for a possession based team playing positional football? 

He's not as bad as people make out and I'm very interested to see if the club agree and most importantly if they can deliver a better quality keeper than Max in the Championship. 

The kind of keeper we need isn't an easy find, then you have to convince them this is the right club for them, then you need to beat the competition etc all whist goalkeepers are like gold dust. 

I'd be interested to see who we can get that will be a solid shot stopper, capable of commanding his area, able to play long and short passes under pressure and sweep up long balls that get in behind us all for the same wages Max is on. 

19 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I didnt write him off 3 years ago. He recent performances make me think we need better. 

Recent?

So Forest? Boro? Sunderland? Watford?

Or are you focussing on one mistake last night?

29 minutes ago, Spike said:

He's not as bad as people make out and I'm very interested to see if the club agree and most importantly if they can deliver a better quality keeper than Max in the Championship. 

The kind of keeper we need isn't an easy find,

What kind?

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Considering the team intent, the teams build up play what are the fundamental qualities necessary in the number one? Average ability to distribute the ball, below average or good? 

Do Max O'Leary qualities make him a suitable player for a possession based team playing positional football?