IGNORED

Max

GrahamC

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Hull and Watford 100% definitely plus Coventry maybe Ipswich, West Brom and Middlesbrough just looking at clubs above us would all love Max as their number one. 

He is not the problem.

Well there are 4 clubs there that could sign him if they wanted so let’s see the offers for him in the summer if your correct 

Reckon he’s cost us more points than he has won us. We will never get promoted with him as No.1 IMO. Too prone to mistakes or simply that he doesn’t have the ability to do the correct thing all the time that will cost us. Perfect example tonight of simply palming the ball in to the 6 yard box instead of away from goal. Technically was very poor which enabled the mistake. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Just judge him over the season and then no need to give him a tough ride tonight.  Just accept that every keeper makes the odd mistake. 

Or….

evaluate performance in each game, comment on that and also hold an overall opinion.

Tonight he cost us with a bad error for their equaliser.

Last week he was decent v Forest

etc

Overall, he’s a decent enough Champ keeper.

(all imho)

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Or….

evaluate performance in each game, comment on that and also hold an overall opinion.

etc

(all imho)

Well said. Max is a decent Championship stopper. Manning must ensure that the team take collective responsibility for lapses in concentration, which nullify their progress from winning positions. Unfortunately when our keeper makes a mistake, he's the last line in defence.

17 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Agreed. At present we are an inconsistent mid table side because of players like Max, Bell, Mehmeti, Cornick, Williams 

I'll stop short of calling out names, but your spot on in my opinion. We're reliant on too many players who aren't good enough. That's what makes me quietly optimistic that we're not too far off it. Invest in their replacements (or some of) and we'll be up there.

Looking back at their 1st goal I think he is partially to blame too. 

His positioning was well off. There was no need for him to be that far over to the left of his goal as at that point the angle to score on that side had been closed off. 

He needed to be more central and if he was as there wasn't much pace on the shot he could have tipped it wide. 

Screenshot_20240131_025529_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

What clearly doesn’t help on threads like this is whenever Max makes a decent save (and it happens on in game threads) you get people saying “can’t believe people don’t rate Max” and then when he makes an error it’s “Max is crap”.

Again. He’s an average mid table keeper at this level. Hes 27 - I’m pretty sure he’s not going to improve or regress markedly in the next 2-3 years. He’s neither the messiah or a naughty boy - he’s just average overall, fine for where we are, and will need to be improved on if we are to progress.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Williams? I trust you’re taking the piss?

Hes had a good month or 2, but overall, it would be hard to say hes been an impressive signing for us. If he keeps his form up for the rest of the season, then consider another year, tgh is more naturally gifted in my view.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Looking back at their 1st goal I think he is partially to blame too. 

His positioning was well off. There was no need for him to be that far over to the left of his goal as at that point the angle to score on that side had been closed off. 

He needed to be more central and if he was as there wasn't much pace on the shot he could have tipped it wide. 

Screenshot_20240131_025529_Gallery.jpg

I thin your right. He was to blame for first goal too. The shot was pretty weak tbh, he had time to dive and save that.

All goalkeepers make errors as do outfield player but obviously when the keeper messes up it’s more likely to lead to conceding - as with Max last night - some of us will remember Bentley letting one thru his hands in front of SS not so long ago - it happens.

Overall Max is a decent Championship keeper who’s kept us in games at times over his tenure as number 1

No doubt he’s feeling responsible for not winning the game.

• Like 2

Max isn't the weak link for us, but it's an area we will need to improve if we want promotion.

He excels at reflex saves, but the rest of his game isnt exceptional and he's prone to errors like last night.

What is odd is the fan club who rate him far beyond his ability and consider any due criticism from mistakes like last night's to be unacceptable.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Max isn't the weak link for us, but it's an area we will need to improve if we want promotion.

He excels at reflex saves, but the rest of his game isnt exceptional and he's prone to errors like last night.

What is odd is the fan club who rate him far beyond his ability and consider any due criticism from mistakes like last night's to be unacceptable.

I agree. As others pointed out many didn't rate him at all and didn't think he'd be good enough for us - myself included, and now want to validate that by hounding every mistake. I'm happy to just admit I was wrong!

However there are also a group who personally back some players to the degree that they then desperately need them to succeed. Morrell was another one. They do the opposite and talk him up relentlessly.

Imo he'd a mid Champ keeper, and I'm pleased I was wrong that he was that standard! He's gone from near the top of my "need replacing" list to somewhere in the middle. At some point, but not a priority at the moment.

He's pretty representative of where we are as a team imo, was/is cheap, and has been an integral part of what's been a very solid defence this year.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Or….

etc

(all imho)

That’s fair and IMO - based on the board saying PL is the goal and we have a top-end squad - is that we need someone more solid than Max if we are to achieve that target. 

Nothing against Max; he’s ideal for a team treading water in the second tier, which is exactly what we are. But if he wants to go higher in the game, he needs to cut out those gaffes like last night. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

What clearly doesn’t help on threads like this is whenever Max makes a decent save (and it happens on in game threads) you get people saying “can’t believe people don’t rate Max” and then when he makes an error it’s “Max is crap”.

Replace the name "Max" with virtually any other player in the squad & you're describing a lot of the forum content really. 

5 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

However there are also a group who personally back some players to the degree that they then desperately need them to succeed. Morrell was another one. Th

I think most have favs and some they just don't take too it's natural IMO.
Cornick , Mehmeti & Max and other come in for over the top praise and criticism at times. 
I've defended Max over the last season or two , I think he was better for the team than Bentley. But I can see when he drops a bollock too. The last month or so he has been so much quicker to act as a sweeper, which is fine but it's not natural to him. It cost us at Preston and there was one last night too. Vyner chasing back , looked like he could nod it back but Max had charged out, didn't cost us so quickly forgotten , but to me a worry. The first goal looks crap , but comes through a crowd , being harsh you could maybe question his positioning but I don't think he did too much wrong. The second is bad , it's almost too close to him to push it wide and so he surely has to try and catch it , it wasn't that hard a shot. Because it did cost us a goal, and being late on it cost points , it adds weight to the he's not good enough argument . 
I would like to know who we could bring in, and how we pay for a top end Championship keeper. 

• Like 1

Much a prefer a steady Eddie, someone you know will give you 7 or 8 out of 10 every week. That was Maenpaa. 

O'Leary has been excellent in our cup ties, now calamitous. Unfortunately for him, the die is cast - he could have a dozen good games in a row but never shake the feeling that a cock up is just round the corner. 

So it's a No from me. On balance.   

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I think most have favs and some they just don't take too it's natural IMO.
Cornick , Mehmeti & Max and other come in for over the top praise and criticism at times. 
I've defended Max over the last season or two , I think he was better for the team than Bentley. But I can see when he drops a bollock too. The last month or so he has been so much quicker to act as a sweeper, which is fine but it's not natural to him. It cost us at Preston and there was one last night too. Vyner chasing back , looked like he could nod it back but Max had charged out, didn't cost us so quickly forgotten , but to me a worry. The first goal looks crap , but comes through a crowd , being harsh you could maybe question his positioning but I don't think he did too much wrong. The second is bad , it's almost too close to him to push it wide and so he surely has to try and catch it , it wasn't that hard a shot. Because it did cost us a goal, and being late on it cost points , it adds weight to the he's not good enough argument . 
I would like to know who we could bring in, and how we pay for a top end Championship keeper. 

Sweeping is not natural. It is instruction. O'learys interventions have increased due to instruction. 

In regards to your last line the keepers qualities should meet the team intent. Liam Manning has stated he wants to dominate possession. How does the keepers qualities meet that intent and principle? Max O'leary passing accuracy is amongst the worst in the division. 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Again. He’s an average mid table keeper at this level. Hes 27 - I’m pretty sure he’s not going to improve or regress markedly in the next 2-3 years. He’s neither the messiah or a naughty boy - he’s just average overall, fine for where we are, and will need to be improved on if we are to progress.

Apart the 'naughty boy' bit which feels rather saucy - spot on

37 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I agree. As others pointed out many didn't rate him at all and didn't think he'd be good enough for us - myself included, and now want to validate that by hounding every mistake. I'm happy to just admit I was wrong!

However there are also a group who personally back some players to the degree that they then desperately need them to succeed. Morrell was another one. They do the opposite and talk him up relentlessly.

Imo he'd a mid Champ keeper, and I'm pleased I was wrong that he was that standard! He's gone from near the top of my "need replacing" list to somewhere in the middle. At some point, but not a priority at the moment.

He's pretty representative of where we are as a team imo, was/is cheap, and has been an integral part of what's been a very solid defence this year.

Your balanced opinion is not welcome on otib.