IGNORED

Max

GrahamC

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not seen it mentioned but what a calm excellent piece of goalkeeping it was when he stopped a certain goal when we got caught 3 on 1 by a break.

Plenty race to criticise him but he’s a steady keeper who won us a point yesterday.

Yep he’s pulled off some brilliant saves in the last few games, but it’s true to say some fans are too quick to only see the errors. 

Goal keepers are always going to come under a lot of stick, cos any mistakes on their part and it changes everything, but let’s have a balanced view of things. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not seen it mentioned but what a calm excellent piece of goalkeeping it was when he stopped a certain goal when we got caught 3 on 1 by a break.

Plenty race to criticise him but he’s a steady keeper who won us a point yesterday.

Excellent save.

Nearly played us into trouble with a hospital pass beforehand mind, and I do wonder if Manning will be looking for a better footballer in goal next season as he looks to start from the back, although im not sure how many Edersons are out there!

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It was terrific anticipation followed by an excellent stop. The fact that the Watford striker should/could have taken it earlier was down to Max seeing the danger so early. He saved the day with that stop.

I really don’t understand why some posters think that we need a new goalkeeper.

• Like 1

My answer to this is always the same - I, and I don’t think anyone, has ever questioned Max in respect of shot stopping or keeping of the nature of the save yesterday. On the match thread it was immediately held up as “can’t believe people don’t rate Max” - but they do, in this particular regard.

The question mark over him always has been, and remains, decisions/distribution. Hes got a lot better there recently but yesterday there were a few ricks. If he can get that side of his game better consistently, I don’t think anyone will be questioning, and he will be seen as a potential top six keeper.

As it stands, he’s a perfectly competent mid table championship keeper for a mid table championship side.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

My answer to this is always the same - I, and I don’t think anyone, has ever questioned Max in respect of shot stopping or keeping of the nature of the save yesterday. On the match thread it was immediately held up as “can’t believe people don’t rate Max” - but they do, in this particular regard.

The question mark over him always has been, and remains, decisions/distribution. Hes got a lot better there recently but yesterday there were a few ricks. If he can get that side of his game better consistently, I don’t think anyone will be questioning, and he will be seen as a potential top six keeper.

As it stands, he’s a perfectly competent mid table championship keeper for a mid table championship side.

I don’t disagree but there are no perfect keepers in this league.  I would say he’s in the top 8-10. If he was in goal for a top 4 side I really don’t think he’d look out of place. 

• Like 3

I think Max gets stick more around his distribution than his actual goal keeping. Some of that is down to the ability of the players to play out from the back, plus the lack of a target man up front that he can aim for. In other words, largely not within his control and down to tactics and the limitations of the team as a whole.

• Like 1

I think yesterday & West Ham were his two most consistent back to back performances since becoming number 1. Still kicks far too many unchallenged balls into touch for me…

Will be really interesting to see what we do in the summer re Keepers, as can’t see Bajic being kept on, which frees up the need to bring a keeper in. A better back up, or a genuine new number 1 challenge?

• Like 1

Think Max is a very decent Championship keeper. Therefore he makes mistakes and produces blinding saves. My concern remains competition and cover for him. At least having experienced cover, even if a journeyman not particularly challenging Max, would be helpful. Feels high risk having Bajic as cover, however good he is/isnt, he definitely isn’t experienced in the Championship. Don’t think a late career journeyman needs to be particularly expensive either. 

• Like 2

Excellent bit of keeping and in general an excellent shot stopper. That has never been in question. Look at West Ham away and home to see that.

But as said many times before, there is more to goalkeeping nowadays. I think yesterday was one of Max’s worse days for kicking. Constantly smashing it out over spring’s head. When he tried to adjust he was booting it straight down the throat of their centre half. Then there was the goal at Preston last week.

He will do until the summer but certainly an area we need improvement in going forward. There is just too much value in a keeper nowadays in more aspects than catching a ball.

About those passes putting players in trouble, and I don't disagree but just watch MotD and most weeks you will see it. It comes with trying to play out from the back, even the best at it can suffer. If we want to play out like Manning likes, then obviously wanting players to be brave and take the ball in tight areas is a risk reward, sometime you will get through a press and be onto their back four quickly, other times we will get caught on the ball on end up lumping it . 

His kicking isn't always great and I don't like the tactic aiming for Pring to win the header, even though it did work a few times yesterday.

5 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Constantly smashing it out over spring’s head. When he tried to adjust he was booting it straight down the throat of their centre half.

That's the alternative, guarantee it's in play but give the CB heading practice or aim for Pring where if it's slightly overhit it goes out. Until (if ever) we have a team totally comfortable getting the ball from Max and playing out successfully , we will have balls played like this.

Let's credit him for good quick movement to close the bloke down , it's neither here nor there if he should have shot first time, Max took advantage of any hesitation. That's all he could do.
I thought his handling and throwing were good too. 
IMO we can not afford a serious upgrade , and getting someone who might be a little better would not only be pointless, it would still be expensive. Until finances allow , we have OLeary .
It's like those posts that suggested we get rid Wells or Weimann or whoever and buy a £5m striker, we don't throw that money around any more.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That's the alternative, guarantee it's in play but give the CB heading practice or aim for Pring where if it's slightly overhit it goes out. Until (if ever) we have a team totally comfortable getting the ball from Max and playing out successfully , we will have balls played like this.

But playing the ball out the Pring isn’t a bad option. The issue is giving Pring no opportunity to win it. Drop it on Pring’s head to flick it on. Don’t keep kicking it 10 yards over him and giving possession back easily.

Edited by formerly known as ivan
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

Show me a keeper who can 100% of the time, hit a player from 50 yards and that's the point. 
He can put it in an area and be 2 feet out and it's over Pring's head. A midfielder puts a through ball 2 feet in front of a chasing forward and the crowd go OOoo unlucky. 

I'd like to know how many headers Pring challenged for against how many of those balls went straight out.

I am one of Max's biggest fans, he may still have some dodgy kicking but at the end of the day he saves us a lot of points. As we progress as a team it is going to be interesting to see whether Manning sticks with Max or whether in the summer he looks to get in a different goalkeeper, I really hope he sticks with Max because I am confident he can get even better to how he is now, he has also saved Vyner a lot of times recently notably against West Ham when he set up TC's goal.

10 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Love threads like these particularly about OLeary. He clearly didn’t make a good save for some as the forward chose the wrong option. FFS! 

He spotted that the forwards first touch was crap and dealt with it. Good goalkeeping. That’s what we needed him to do. Some on here make an opinion and won’t veer from it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

Yep he’s pulled off some brilliant saves in the last few games,

Especially the "worldie" against West Ham - Was surprised to see that he didn't get  thread of his own - he did mke a few errors that day too  - reticence to come an collect / missing it when he did. 

He has been pretty solid of late - if we can maintain that and improve his kicking I'd be a happy camper....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Show me a keeper who can 100% of the time, hit a player from 50 yards and that's the point. 
He can put it in an area and be 2 feet out and it's over Pring's head. A midfielder puts a through ball 2 feet in front of a chasing forward and the crowd go OOoo unlucky. 

I'd like to know how many headers Pring challenged for against how many of those balls went straight out.

Not 100% of the time, just now and again would be nice.

49 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

Especially the "worldie" against West Ham - Was surprised to see that he didn't get  thread of his own - he did mke a few errors that day too  - reticence to come an collect / missing it when he did. 

He has been pretty solid of late - if we can maintain that and improve his kicking I'd be a happy camper....

You’re not allowed to criticise his kicking apparently…

18 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

You absolutely are, I doubt anyone says it's perfect but it's a tactic he's obviously told to use and saying,

3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Drop it on Pring’s head to flick it on. Don’t keep kicking it 10 yards over him and giving possession back easily.

Is not in the real world. No one would "Drop it on Pring’s head" every time , OLeary probably hit him 2/3 times and missed a couple. I remember one lead to a break from a flick, but the ones going straight out stand out over those that Pring challenges for because it is frustrating. 
Ederson & Pickford are probably 2 of the best , they each cost £30M+ , not sure you can expect the same from Max.

I would like to think they would be working on it , as much to give him another option so he doesn't have to play that ball as much as actually improving his accuracy .
TBH I was more annoyed/disappointed with the long floated clearances that screamed for a big CG to win. I'd love to see him strike a ball like Ederson, much lower trajectory that give defenders less chance to set, but I don't see that happen regularly any time soon. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

It was terrific anticipation followed by an excellent stop. The fact that the Watford striker should/could have taken it earlier was down to Max seeing the danger so early. He saved the day with that stop.

I really don’t understand why some posters think that we need a new goalkeeper.

Because if Mr Manning wants to progress football that builds from the back the team will be tactically limited (it is) by the footballing ability of the keeper. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Luckily, I'm old enough (and definitely ugly enough) to have my own opinions and express them without fear of being cancelled (as I really don't care) or self censure. 🙂 

Max deffo needs to sort his kicking out....preferably not with the Bristol Bears coaches.....who have now clearly assisted him in mastering kicking it into touch 85% of the time. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

You absolutely are, I doubt anyone says it's perfect but it's a tactic he's obviously told to use and saying,

Is not in the real world. No one would "Drop it on Pring’s head" every time , OLeary probably hit him 2/3 times and missed a couple. I remember one lead to a break from a flick, but the ones going straight out stand out over those that Pring challenges for because it is frustrating. 
Ederson & Pickford are probably 2 of the best , they each cost £30M+ , not sure you can expect the same from Max.

I would like to think they would be working on it , as much to give him another option so he doesn't have to play that ball as much as actually improving his accuracy .
TBH I was more annoyed/disappointed with the long floated clearances that screamed for a big CG to win. I'd love to see him strike a ball like Ederson, much lower trajectory that give defenders less chance to set, but I don't see that happen regularly any time soon. 

Ederson is not one of the best shot stoppers, he is magnificent with the ball at his feet. A decision was made there of what was needed to progress Man City's football. Keystone behaviour (!!!) is that a team that prizes possession to play positionally can compromise shot stopping ability, but the principle of possession for their keeper and the ability to distribute the ball, and that cannot be compromised. 

Similar can be adopted at lower levels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Ederson is not one of the best shot stoppers, he is magnificent with the ball at his feet. A decision was made there of what was needed to progress Man City's football. Keystone behaviour (!!!) is that a team that prizes possession to play positionally can compromise shot stopping ability, but the principle of possession for their keeper and the ability to distribute the ball, and that cannot be compromised. 

Similar can be adopted at lower levels. 

True, they are masters at controlling games so it sort of makes sense. I would say though, as we give teams more opportunities the shot stopping is much more relevant than giving the ball away on occasion. 

I seem to remember there was a bit of fuss in the press because Ederson was brought in not long after paying nearly £20M for Bravo, and all because he was better with his feet. TBF Pep had a plan and a footballing keeper was a big part of that.
One of the reasons I defend Max ( and I don't do it blindly thinking he's brilliant ) is because of how much it would cost for a substantial upgrade. He's a good shot stopper, with reasonable distribution , reasonable handling and a cool head . To get better we would be spending several millions.