IGNORED

Best we've played in years

5 hours ago, FNQ said:

It really is a big dilemma.. Having watched £15m Chris Wood tonight and comparing work rate and potential threat to Tommy I honestly would not swap. Having said that I’m not sure at all what the eventual solution may be though.

Having David that and without professing to know too much about him I was quite intrigued when we were rumoured to have an interest in 22 year old Muniz from Fulham. A young Brazilian forward who is on the outer fringe of their first team and from the odd sub appearance that I’ve seen of him since our perceived’ interest looks to have good physique, pace and maybe could offer something different / South American flair? Whether we were ever really interested or not I don’t know, but he was loaned out to Boro last season and to me seems the type of player that would be a squad upgrade that we  could realistically target while still retaining TC as long as he wants to be here of course.

I know the rumours of Muniz are tosh, but like you I see what a player like that could bring to us.  We were looking at Estupinan the summer before last, but he went to Hull.  He’s in a similar mould to Muniz.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

A number of times in pretty much every match including last night City get into excellent crossing positions and usually there’s only Conway and possibly a midfielder who’s made a run which means that crossing options are limited - that’s largely why City don’t score many goals. 

Conway isn’t known for his heading ability and defenders cope pretty well unless he’s running at them or found space in a crowded box. its frustrating not to have a Chris Wood like striker.

Call a powerful CF a target man if you like but that’s not an accurate description of the type I think we need.

No I didn’t call anyone anything….i asked you to describe what you actually mean / want from a CF.

As you mentioned Chris Wood, do you think he’d suit how we play?

3 hours ago, Randy Marsh II said:

At the moment our identity feels like good passing outside 30 yards from goal and then go wide every time and hope something happens from a cross.

I also feel that Knight wasn't getting around Conway enough because each time the ball goes out wide he feels the responsibility to help the wingers more, which they need. 

In particular, both Knight and Mehmeti start narrower in our build up phase, but they have to go searching wide to get the ball don’t they?  We don’t interrupt any screen from our opponents midfielders.  That’s where we need to improve.

28 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’d say that was Mehmeti’s best game in the red and white stripes too for me. Him & Knight were so much more narrow, making Tommy far less isolated and less on the periphery of the game than he has been over the last month or so as well. 

They were much closer to Tommy when we have the ball deeper with our midfield and CBs, but they can’t get on the ball when they’re close, hence as per Randy Marsh II post, they then have to drift wide to get on the ball, and therefore leave Conway alone.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As you mentioned Chris Wood, do you think he’d suit how we play?

In particular, both Knight and Mehmeti start narrower in our build up phase, but they have to go searching wide to get the ball don’t they?  We don’t interrupt any screen from our opponents midfielders.  That’s where we need to improve.

They were much closer to Tommy when we have the ball deeper with our midfield and CBs, but they can’t get on the ball when they’re close, hence as per Randy Marsh II post, they then have to drift wide to get on the ball, and therefore leave Conway alone.

Any CF could adapt and learn the way Manning wants to play. He comes over as an excellent coach who in almost every interview mentions how limited training time is with City’s hectic fixtures. That clearly frustrates him..

A presence in similar style to Wood gives City better options when out wide. Currently as I posted earlier it’s frustrating to see only Conway in the box surrounded by defenders with perhaps a couple of midfielders pushing up which limits crossing options - last night is a perfect example of that. The  guys around me were all feeling the same frustration.

You probably think that we’re still in the 1970s because we think that a more powerful presence is needed up top to support Conway, after all we’re not sophisticated students of the beautiful game.

• Facepalm 3

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You probably think that we’re still in the 1970s because we think that a more powerful presence is needed up top to support Conway, after all we’re not sophisticated students of the beautiful game.

WTF? Did you actually read what I posted?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Any CF could adapt and learn the way Manning wants to play. He comes over as an excellent coach who in almost every interview mentions how limited training time is with City’s hectic fixtures. That clearly frustrates him..

A presence in similar style to Wood gives City better options when out wide. Currently as I posted earlier it’s frustrating to see only Conway in the box surrounded by defenders with perhaps a couple of midfielders pushing up which limits crossing options - last night is a perfect example of that. The  guys around me were all feeling the same frustration.

Sorry but this lack of training time is bs. Other managers have gone in at other clubs and got results with the same 'limited training time' Manning of course had an international break of two weeks at the start of his time here. As we know, we had the players in training for that break. Not many managers get that time! So that's why I call bs on his claims he's only had 9 training sessions. 

If he's such an excellent coach as you say, why do we need to buy players? An excellent coach would surely coach a team in a way where Conway isn't isolated alone in the box? 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Sorry but this lack of training time is bs. Other managers have gone in at other clubs and got results with the same 'limited training time' Manning of course had an international break of two weeks at the start of his time here. As we know, we had the players in training for that break. Not many managers get that time! So that's why I call bs on his claims he's only had 9 training sessions. 

If he's such an excellent coach as you say, why do we need to buy players? An excellent coach would surely coach a team in a way where Conway isn't isolated alone in the box? 

I tend to agree.  Too often referenced, not just by fans, but press and head-coach too.  He’s had two 6-day gaps in January too.  Just get on with it.  We know the Champ comes thick and fast.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

How is lack of training time bs this isn’t Allardyce long ball hoof football where players stand as cones ffs.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I tend to agree.  Too often referenced, not just by fans, but press and head-coach too.  He’s had two 6-day gaps in January too.  Just get on with it.  We know the Champ comes thick and fast.

It’s in the same league as ‘players I’ve inherited aren’t fit enough’ BS for me 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just get on with it??? He is being interviewed and entitled to express his viewpoint if it’s a frustration for him!!! **** me Pearson non stop referencing time and time again the situation we was in….just get on with it!!! So did Holden just get on with it!!! We know we had no money….just get on with it!!! 2 6 day gaps!!!! How many years did Pearson and Johnson have!!!

• Flames 1
  • Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Just get on with it??? He is being interviewed and entitled to express his viewpoint if it’s a frustration for him!!! **** me Pearson non stop referencing time and time again the situation we was in….just get on with it!!! So did Holden just get on with it!!! We know we had no money….just get on with it!!! 2 6 day gaps!!!! How many years did Pearson and Johnson have!!!

And at the same time I'm entitled to express my thoughts on his viewpoint. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Oooooh, touched a nerve hun? 🤷🏻‍♂️

When you get asked about an exciting replay with West Ham at home in front of your own fans I tend to think  a reply along the lines of “bloody hell that’s another game to fit in” is a bit unnecessary and builds negativity.  So, yes, just get on with it.  Think about the money it might bring that might allow you to stretch to getting in a player you feel you need.  It comes across as a mood-hoover.

You are so defensive of LM.  I didn’t mention any other managers.  And as for those things that they said, I’d say get in with it to them too…although I think there were some messages being put to the board in those of those.

We are allowed to critique what he says and does.

Edited by Davefevs

9 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Need a few more exclamation marks I reckon.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Oooooh, touched a nerve hun? 🤷🏻‍♂️

When you get asked about an exciting replay with West Ham at home in front of your own fans I tend to think  a reply along the lines of “bloody hell that’s another game to fit in” is a bit unnecessary and builds negativity.  So, yes, just get on with it.  Think about the money it might bring that might allow you to stretch to getting in a player you feel you need.

You are so defensive of LM.  I didn’t mention any other managers.  And as for those things that they said, I’d say get in with it to them too…although I think there were some messages being put to the board in those of those.

We are allowed to critique what he says and does.

Why are you saying touched a nerve hun that is trying too hard. I like manning and I like what I have seen I am finally seeing us PASS THE FOOTBALL after so many years and players who had a hot potatoe before now dominating prem sides so yea I have been impressed!!! And I think next season with more time we could be a force in this league!!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ChrisJ said:

Why are you saying touched a nerve hun that is trying too hard. I like manning and I like what I have seen I am finally seeing us PASS THE FOOTBALL after so many years and players who had a hot potatoe before now dominating prem sides so yea I have been impressed!!! And I think next season with more time we could be a force in this league!!

I'd personally prefer us to score goals rather than pass the ball. 

3 goals in 7 games is incredibly worrying. But as long as we can pass the ball then all is good I guess. 

• Like 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'd personally prefer us to score goals rather than pass the ball. 

3 goals in 7 games is incredibly worrying. But as long as we can pass the ball then all is good I guess. 

Incredibly worrying ffs we aren’t going up or down we are building and looking better defensively than in years and years but yea incredibly worrying serious serious issues doomed to relegation 

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I’m simply pointing out what Manning has said several times - I’m not saying that I necessarily agree with him.

He’s relatively new and wants to put his ideas and methods across to the players and in order to that feels that needs time “on the grass” to get his style ingrained to the squad.

As pointed out other Championship managers have the same hectic fixtures but then of course they’re not all new in the job.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

And then you proceeded to write a load of tosh about what you think I might think, despite my posts saying completely the opposite! 

Here’s a straightforward question - do you think that City could use  a CF to bully and occupy defenders?

Edited by Robbored

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Here’s a straightforward question - do you think that City a CF? 

I assume your straightforward question is missing the word “need”?  If so, no, I don’t.  I’m perfectly happy with Tommy Conway, and having Nahki Wells and Harry Cornick to back him up.  I’m more concerned with the approach to creating chances than the personnel per se.  If we had boundless pots of money then we could upgrade wherever we liked.  But I don’t think the issue is TC.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Incredibly worrying ffs we aren’t going up or down we are building and looking better defensively than in years and years but yea incredibly worrying serious serious issues doomed to relegation 

Well yes. Scoring 3 goals in 7 games certainly isn't going to get us challenging and yes it is incredibly worrying. You might be happy to bob along in mid table but I'm not. 

Why are we rebuilding during a season? What are we building? This squad is a decent squad and the defence is certainly a top 6 defence. I'm worried that at this point, Manning is not getting the best out of the squad, which he was brought in to do. 

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Well yes. Scoring 3 goals in 7 games certainly isn't going to get us challenging and yes it is incredibly worrying. You might be happy to bob along in mid table but I'm not. 

Why are we rebuilding during a season? What are we building? This squad is a decent squad and the defence is certainly a top 6 defence. I'm worried that at this point, Manning is not getting the best out of the squad, which he was brought in to do. 

Top 6 defense is it what you basing that on. Track record, wages, experience, goals conceded, goals scored, Ariel duels won, mistakes leading to goals, fee, passing stats, interceptions, blocks I mean what a waste of time people making pointless unfounded statements based on nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I assume your straightforward question is missing the word “need”?  If so, no, I don’t.  I’m perfectly happy with Tommy Conway, and having Nahki Wells and Harry Cornick to back him up.  I’m more concerned with the approach to creating chances than the personnel per se.  If we had boundless pots of money then we could upgrade wherever we liked.  But I don’t think the issue is TC.

It baffles me how generally the people that say we are now better coached also suggest that we need a new striker. 

Tommy Conway is a good striker. The back up to him is decent too. If we are now better coached why aren’t we getting the best out of Tommy and co?To suggest the reason we're not scoring is because we need a better striker than Tommy is rather ridiculous imo. 

Even Haaland would struggle to score with the breadcrumbs we are currently feeding our strikers with. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

39 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

We have improved defensively since the start of the season, not just the last 10 matches. It was a definite weakness in previous seasons, so that even though we had Weimann, Semenyo and Martin scoring for fun, we were also conceding as many. Successful teams have tight defences but also know how to score. We have sorted the former at the expense of the latter it would seem. And that doesn’t make for great entertainment either, which is one of the criticisms of some on here have about how we are playing now.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I added ‘need’ just now.

I don’t have a problem with TC either but frequently feel that he’s isolated especially when City are in excellent crossing positions and think that a  powerful CF would be an ideal foil.

For many years strikers have played pairings. Manning doesn’t seem to ply two up top tho.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Top 6 defense is it what you basing that on. Track record, wages, experience, goals conceded, goals scored, Ariel duels won, mistakes leading to goals, fee, passing stats, interceptions, blocks I mean what a waste of time people making pointless unfounded statements based on nothing. 

I have absolutely no idea what this post means and what you're trying to say. 

Just now, Dr Balls said:

We have improved defensively since the start of the season, not just the last 10 matches. It was a definite weakness in previous seasons, so that even though we had Weimann, Semenyo and Martin scoring for fun, we were also conceding as many. Successful teams have tight defences but also know how to score. We have sorted the former at the expense of the latter it would seem. And that doesn’t make for great entertainment either, which is one of the criticisms of some on here have about how we are playing now.

I once worked with a statistician who had a phd and he based his thesis on the elements required for success, he was Swindon fan and maths professor, he calculated that have a tight defense was far more likely to lead to success than a team that scores toms of goals - that ultimately what was more important, not conceding or scoring tons of goals and was the former, was very interesting but I can’t really do it justice on here.

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

I have absolutely no idea what this post means and what you're trying to say. 

Didnt think you could justify it. Proper nonsense “top 6 defense” based on “um,uh, hmmmm nothing!!!”

• Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I added ‘need’ just now.

I don’t have a problem with TC either but frequently feel that he’s isolated especially when City are in excellent crossing positions and think that a  powerful CF would be an ideal foil.

For many years strikers have played pairings. Manning doesn’t seem to ply two up top tho.

Or rather than going back to the LJ days of hoping the solution is buying more players, we could coach our players to provide Tommy with chances that suit him? 

Tommy has the ability to get 15-20 goals in this league. The problem isn't with Tommy. 

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

I once worked with a statistician who had a phd and he based his thesis on the elements required for success, he was Swindon fan and maths professor, he calculated that have a tight defense was far more likely to lead to success than a team that scores toms of goals - that ultimately what was more important, not conceding or scoring tons of goals and was the former, was very interesting but I can’t really do it justice on here.

Didnt think you could justify it. Proper nonsense “top 6 defense” based on “um,uh, hmmmm nothing!!!”

I can't justify anything when I have absolutely zero clue what your post meant. Maybe you can reword it? 

7 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Here’s some measures.

Just because you can’t provide or don’t agree, doesn’t mean it’s unfounded…does it?

image.png.1ca35f01fe162ec2d3bcc25db66cbf21.png

Manning has continued the progress defensively.  We are on more than goals conceded a good defensive team.